Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Bucket List Motorcycle Trip to Alaska

I had an incredible opportunity to take my bucket list trip to Alaska on my motorcycle with my brother and his son's father-in-law. It wasn't a real convenient time, it cost more than I wanted to spend, and another thousand reasons could have aborted the trip (like they so often do). I am just glad I did not let any of those excuses get in the way.

They left Farmington NM on June 12th. I left my house in Bozeman and rode through Yellowstone National Park to meet them in Cody, WY on the 13th. From there we rode through Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper, and many other Canadian parks on our way to Alaska.

We travelled the Chief Joseph Byway, Beartooth Pass, Going to the Sun Road, Ice Field Parkway, Cassiar Highway, Alaska Highway, Richardson Highway, Glenn Highway, Parks Highway, Dalton Highway, Top of the World Highway, Dempster Highway, and many many more.

We were able to visit Hyder, Whitehorse, Fairbanks, Deadhorse, Valdez, Anchorage, Alyeska, Seward, Homer, Denali, Tok, Dawson City, Watson Lake, Dawson Creek, and many more that I am sure I am missing.

It took us 36 days in total. In that time, there was not a day that I was not on the motorcycle. 29 of those days, we camped. Mostly we wild camped on remote spots we found. We did spend about 6 nights in the provisional campsites in Canada. They are actually very nice to use with very dispersed camp sites. Most had firewood and water included.

I used my hammock for all camping. Mostly it was pretty easy to find sites. In Alaska, especially the very wet sections, it could be difficult to find trees with the proper spacing that was not completely filled with underbrush. The very moist soil also made the trees more flexible than they are down here. A 6 inch tree flexed like a 3-4 inch tree in Montana. Several times when I had to use smaller trees, I had to tie them back to additional trees for support.

There were so many experiences, I could tell stories for hours, so trying to limit it to this space is a challenge. I think I will leave it at those highlights and let people ask any questions they may have.

By the numbers, we went 36 days, 10976 miles, and 204 hours in the seat. The mountains were incredible. The lakes were incredible. The rivers were incredible. The wildlife were incredible. The glaciers were incredible. Words fail me, but the entire trip was incredible.

I will try to add a variety of pictures for the trip in general and a sampling of the hammock locations, but photos are always a challenge on HF.
    **Edit, it is limiting me to 15 inline, so I will have to figure out something else for the rest of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That must have been awesome!! Yes, I typed awesome.
    Having been to Alaska many times as my wife has family there I know that it is an amazing experience.
    Never got to hammock camp there though.
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That is an AMAZING trip! I love everything about that; the bike, the hammock camping, the scenery...... all of it. Really nice.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Images
    Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park is on the way, was there in 1994; and yes, saw a Bear on the boardwalk to the springs...so, we turned around and walked away.

Waited for about 45-minutes and returned. Pretty spectacular place.

CRW_3186.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Wow... pretty cool & what an experience. One of these days...

Everybody riding KTM's?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park is on the way, was there in 1994; and yes, saw a Bear on the boardwalk to the springs...so, we turned around and walked away.

Waited for about 45-minutes and returned. Pretty spectacular place.

CRW_3186.jpg
    We saw 5 black bears right around the hot springs. I have seen a lot of videos about people visiting the hot springs, but the one thing I have never seen is a mention of the fencing around that campground. They have a double set of electric fences around the park, which says a lot about how habituated the bears are around there. Did not see one other provincial campground with any kind of fencing.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Wow... pretty cool & what an experience. One of these days...

Everybody riding KTM's?
    Two KTM 890R and one Suzuki VStrom 1000. The KTM 890R is an amazing motorcycle. I loved every minute of it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    We saw 5 black bears right around the hot springs. I have seen a lot of videos about people visiting the hot springs, but the one thing I have never seen is a mention of the fencing around that campground. They have a double set of electric fences around the park, which says a lot about how habituated the bears are around there. Did not see one other provincial campground with any kind of fencing.
    The Park Rangers had bear traps set up in two campsites, on the outer loop. There was a reported fatality in 2012 involving a bear. My chow let me know if there were critters out and about.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    Two KTM 890R and one Suzuki VStrom 1000. The KTM 890R is an amazing motorcycle. I loved every minute of it.
    Yeah, the 890R looks like a pretty sweet ride. How did you like the soft luggage versus hard cases? I have a Mosko tank bag for my 1150GS but haven't pulled the trigger on the rest of the ensemble.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 07-22-2023 at 17:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast