Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question Anyone make a top quilt protector?

Was camping with our scouts this weekend and temps were forecast to be in the mid-40s overnight, so I brought along my 40* JRB Shenandoah top quilt. We were near a smallish lake and there was a bit of wind, so at least the perceived temps were lower than forecast. I have a cheap (was under $5?) "synthetic silk" (aka: nylon) sleeping bag liner that I usually bring with me as a little extra insurance. I tried putting that inside the JRB quilt, but didn't see much difference. Then, I put it around the top quilt and it did a great job of blocking the wind (the Shenandoah is a sewn-through, non-baffled quilt).

This liner weighs about 6 ounces (5 without the stuff sack), so it's not much of a weight penalty, but I was thinking of looking around for something similar in size/weight (or having one made) but with some degree of wind/water resistance.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    Closest thing I have have seen would be a winter sock. This is one example: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/vented-winter-sock/
    There are other vendors who also make them.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember, the UQP hangs under the hammock/quilt so there is some airflow. Though your TQ protector would be breathable, if it laid right on top of the TQ, you'd probably get condensation issues. Using a sock is more like a single-wall tent. You can get condensation there too - but that's part of the challenge and zipper opening/airflow management of winter.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have a winter top cover for the Chameleon and it really cuts down the wind. Some people report fairly bad condensation although I've gotten only a little.

A large tarp with doors helps a lot. When using it, I don't need a UQP so it's pretty much a wash when it comes to the weight difference. But I am thinking of the HG Palace, so the difference will be more with 20D silpoly, etc, such as the Superfly.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Shug has that bib thing he puts over the top of his in some of his videos to catch the breath condensation — not sure whether a full-body one out of Argon or something would work, or just be really annoying :-). If one had a good-sized piece of that sort of material, you could certainly experiment — I wonder if you could make some sort of winter-cover-ish thing for a netless hammock with Velcro for the sides, or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I do have an SLD Trail Lair with an argon "windshield" that helps in really low temps. It's the same idea as a top cover, but zips inside the bug net.

I guess I'll just continue bringing that liner just in case.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    On super cold trips I grab my military poncho liner to take and just lay that over me like a blanket. Adds some warmth but also keeps any condensation from my breath off my quilt. Can't remember the weight but it's fairly light.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

• + New Posts