Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    14.7x12 amazonCHP$
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini setup
    Suspension
    Whoopi

Having trouble with the "bulk" of my Winter setup...

My Winter Hammock camping setup seems really bulky.
    Here is my setup.
    20221024_181412.jpg

1. Warbonnet Eldorado Hammock
    2. Part 1 of my DIY Gemini underquilt (had to use Sam's club synthetic camp blankets, couldnt find costco down)
    3. Part 2 of my DIY Gemini underquilt
    4. Inexpensive 14.7ft x 12ft amazon tarp
    5. Kelty Discovery 30 Sleeping bag

Trying to figure out how I can reduce this down in size.
    I realize, I've gone mostly synthetic, which is a good bit of bulk, but it's what I have been able to afford.

Spring and Fall I can go without the 5 and just used the Gemini setup.
    My concern is this next weekend, lows are 40, which is fairly cold, so I am thinking I need the full setup.

Thoughts on the 1st place I should target for cutting down size?

Perhaps a OneTigrus underquilt or something amazon affordable like that?
    Last edited by Doqueryn; 10-24-2022 at 20:06.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    Are you car camping or backpacking? Maybe use the sleeping bag to cocoon yourself.
    Last edited by ScottS; 10-24-2022 at 19:22.

I HIGHLY recommend HangTightShop on Etsy. Sleeping quilt and underquilt for just north of $200. He hand makes them, they're very warm and pack down. Also, I'd suggest an ultralight hammock for winter camping specifically. The weigh savings can be applied to better insulating components. Investing in the El Dorado winter top and unquilt protector will allow you the weight savings while preventing wind from carrying away all the warmth of your underquilt and top quilt. It's MUCH lighter than carrying extra blankets or quilts. Huge difference in temperature regulation.

Ain't gonna lie to you, though. You're gonna be carrying bulk regardless for winter hammocking unless you spend a great deal of money.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may need a bigger backpack.
    Winter insulation equals bulk. Synthetic is even bulkier.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    14.7x12 amazonCHP$
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini setup
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    Your latest video got me itchin to get out and see some fall colors.
    Main reason I pulled this stuff out for next weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    If bulk is the issue, maybe replacing the two part UQ with a HG incubator econ UQ would save 20-30%. Not sure though as I can't see the actual packed dimensions of these two stuff sacks. Check it out: https://hammockgear.com/economy-incubator-stock/

I did notice you were thinking of a One Tigrus UQ, although I'm not sure it will keep you warm down to those temps, I'm guessing that the HG incubator is out of the price range then. I also tried going the amazon alternative gear route so I understand. However, after a year of disappointing results going with the less expensive route, I got a HG econ UQ as my one expensive item for the year and it was worth it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For a simple one-two solution you might go with a Simply Light Designs Eclipse TQ and Trail Winder UQ.

Depending on temp requirement (and therefore Apex Climashield weight/thickness) that'll run you north of $300 but it is a purchase you won't regret and it is reasonably light and compact and much easier to use than a random assemblage of bulky items.

Another consideration for the top insulation is that it is perfectly fine to supplement the TQ with clothing. There's nothing wrong with wearing your insulated coat and pants to sleep in.

The current sleeping bag and tarp together weigh more than 8lbs, so that's really killin' ya!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I don't have specific winter camping gear, so if I am going out when the temp is below 20F, I have to take additional gear to supplement. My solution so far has been to use a bigger pack, which for me means a 90L monster. The weight and bulk just starts compounding at that point.

My point is that you may need to get a bigger pack for now. Or maybe a DIY pulk, which I am seriously considering for my own winter camping excursions.

If you are able to afford it, try waiting for the sales, and then buy a good UQ one year, and TQ the next year. For your Eldorado, Warbonnet typically has a Memorial Day sale, which is when I bought my 20F Wookie UQ. Not necessarily cheap, but absolutely worth it. For a TQ, sometimes you can find good used equipment in the for sale section on here, or possibly wait for a sale on the econ gear at Hammock Gear.

Additional info to my above comment at the beginning of this post:

I've slept down to 5°f with the gear I described with a 20° sleeping bag and was perfectly warm.

I use the Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy. It's been an absolute life saver for winter hammock camping because you can wear it, which means you can enter and exit without ever removing it. I'd HIGHLY recommend looking into it. It is in my opinion the best cold weather sleeping bag you can possibly use for hammocking. You can find them for 30% off during their biannual (?) sales, bringing it under $200.

This is coming from someone who has voluntarily lived outside in a hammock fulltime for the last five years, and who has been through five sleep systems now. I regret most deeply not investing in this sleeping bag sooner. Layering just doesn't compare.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisRising View Post
    I HIGHLY recommend HangTightShop on Etsy. Sleeping quilt and underquilt for just north of $200. He hand makes them, they're very warm and pack down.
    I bought a topquilt from Hangtight and I have to say I was not super impressed. I bought a heatseeker just to evaluate if I thought it was a good match for me. And at $110 is was a good price for sure. But is not reasonably close to my 20° quilt (with over stuff) from UGQ (which was about $400 fwiw). The workmanship was nice. It just was not that warm. And where it is warmest is only right in the middle. But it is a fairly thin down blanket with a second blanket sewn in for the only center section of the quilt. This was not super obvious in the pictures as the pictures have the 'sides folded' towards the center silver section. Just be aware that the center silver section is only what you can see and the rest is less than half the loft.

I sleep pretty cold and am a restless side sleeper. So it did not work for me (and the night was only in the 40s). I had this paired with my 20°C Wooki. I was sort of car camping (walk in a maybe 1/4mi) so I had my UGQ with me as well. I switched about 1AM.

The Hotshot looks like it has more uniform insulation. But it is also ~$170. At that price point, my next 'budget experiment' is likely to be Outdoor Vitals. The Stormloft looks like a better product imo for not that much more money.

As an intro piece of equipment. It was OK. And for the price it will be nice to have as a down blanket. So I am not upset about the buy (hence not slamming it in a review on the etsy site). But it is not closely equivalent to a high quality quilt. In the end, it was still a 'cheap sleeping bag'. I would give it 4/5 stars but only because of the price. And if I needed a solid winter quilt I would give it closer to two.

edit: FWIW, I am essentially buying equipment for four as the rest of the gang has decided they like hammocks as well. This given me a great opportunity to experiment and I experiment first on myself. If I could get a top quality TQ for ~$100 instead of $400 it is going to save me a thousand dollars. As a result I am very interested in 'good deals'. But I will not take my kid 10miles into the wilderness with the heatseeker as his only top insulation. It failed that test for me.
    Last edited by Sean McC; 10-27-2022 at 16:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast