Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
I bought a topquilt from Hangtight and I have to say I was not super impressed. I bought a heatseeker just to evaluate if I thought it was a good match for me. And at $110 is was a good price for sure. But is not reasonably close to my 20° quilt (with over stuff) from UGQ (which was about $400 fwiw). The workmanship was nice. It just was not that warm. And where it is warmest is only right in the middle. But it is a fairly thin down blanket with a second blanket sewn in for the only center section of the quilt. This was not super obvious in the pictures as the pictures have the 'sides folded' towards the center silver section. Just be aware that the center silver section is only what you can see and the rest is less than half the loft.

I sleep pretty cold and am a restless side sleeper. So it did not work for me (and the night was only in the 40s). I had this paired with my 20°C Wooki. I was sort of car camping (walk in a maybe 1/4mi) so I had my UGQ with me as well. I switched about 1AM.

The Hotshot looks like it has more uniform insulation. But it is also ~$170. At that price point, my next 'budget experiment' is likely to be Outdoor Vitals. The Stormloft looks like a better product imo for not that much more money.

As an intro piece of equipment. It was OK. And for the price it will be nice to have as a down blanket. So I am not upset about the buy (hence not slamming it in a review on the etsy site). But it is not closely equivalent to a high quality quilt. In the end, it was still a 'cheap sleeping bag'. I would give it 4/5 stars but only because of the price. And if I needed a solid winter quilt I would give it closer to two.

edit: FWIW, I am essentially buying equipment for four as the rest of the gang has decided they like hammocks as well. This given me a great opportunity to experiment and I experiment first on myself. If I could get a top quality TQ for ~$100 instead of $400 it is going to save me a thousand dollars. As a result I am very interested in 'good deals'. But I will not take my kid 10miles into the wilderness with the heatseeker as his only top insulation. It failed that test for me.
This is why I recommended the Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy. It exceeded all my expectations for winter camping in all temperatures that a sensible person would consider camping in. Also, can't really over emphasize a good set of thermals.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk