Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever?

Have you ever?

Gathered end hammocker. Intrigued by the bridge, but haver never seen one in person. If you have a double layer, haver you ever slipped a full length underquilt in between the two layers? Wondering if that would work or would it compress the down too much.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    HillbillyHanger,

There is no reason to slip the UQ in the sleeve of a DL bridge. Though WarBonnet makes UQ's specifically for their bridges, You might also get by with hanging a GE UQ under the bridge body, though it may need an extra long perimeter shockcord.

The sleeve is usually designed to hold a pad - CCF or inflatable - firmly so it doesn't slide around. So I think you are correct in your guess that the layers would compress the down too much. But again, no need to put it in the sleeve when you can hang it underneath.

I'm sure there are YouTube videos that would show this clearly. With words ... Loosen both end gather cords to their maximum - like if you were going to use the UQ like a flat blanket. Then Loop the perimeter (main support) cord around the spreader bars at both ends.

Is it going to work as well as a custom-fit UQ - No, that's why they have custom-fit UQ's. But it may work well enough depending on the season. Adding a UQP (underquilt protector) to the GE UQ may be just enough.
    I've used summer-weight GE UQ's with the RSBTR bridge hammock kit. The spreader bars for that model are both about 32 inches (no taper at the foot end). Using a GE UQ on that - hanging underneath - worked find.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That won't work - compressed down is worthless.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    SilvrSurfr, I know you right! Ok to sandwich a closed cell foam pad in sleeve. You can suspend under quilt underneath hammock, asbestos you can.

Compressed down loses almost all of its insulation value.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I own a double-layer Warbonnet Ridgerunner and to get down to really cold temps, I place my Thermarest NeoAir XTherm in the middle of the two layers, with a Loco Libre Ridge Reaper 30-degree UQ. This year I am going to try adding my Arrowhead Equipment 25-degree Ridge Creek XL to the mix. Two UQs and a pad - should be plenty for whatever weather I encounter. Hopefully.

As others have said, putting the down between the layers won't do much if anything. Happy Hanging!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Thanks. I know that compressing the down lowers the ability to reduce heat transfer. I didn't know if the differential cut of the hammock would be enough to prevent the down compression.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Agreed. With the differential cut, I wasn't sure if it would compress the down. For example, would it compress a 40 degree quilt and still be effective at 50?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The "differential cut" is on some, not all, UQ's allowing them to be snug up against the bottom of the hammock without compressing their down. The DL sleeve is not designed to have a differential cut; it's designed so the two layers are tight against each other so if you insert a pad, it will be held and not slip around.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I have Bill's Towns End Big Guy Bridge Hammock. My HG UQ was originally purchased for a gathered end but adapted very easily for the bridge with no gaps or cold spots. By using AHE Triangle Thingies attached to the ridgeline the UQ snugs up to the bridge quite nicely.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    Agreed. With the differential cut, I wasn't sure if it would compress the down. For example, would it compress a 40 degree quilt and still be effective at 50?
    Now you're talking about "How much can I compress the down before it becomes ineffective as insulation?" It's like someone telling you to mow your lawn, not burn it with gasoline, and you ask, "But can't I burn my lawn with gasoline in a controlled manner?"

That might sound like an exaggeration, but my first cousin actually tried to burn the front lawn with gasoline rather than mowing it. It didn't work out - he lit the match and caught himself on fire. Not a single blade of grass was burned, but he did spend a year in the hospital recovering from severe burns.

Just don't compress down!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-11-2023 at 00:48.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast