Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Smell

Looking for some advice, insight, or wisdom:

I recently purchased a new 0-degree top quilt and had the opportunity to use it on two recent outings and man did it performed great for this cold sleeper.

However, after returning from my second trip, the quilt had a wet/damp dog smell even though the trip was relatively dry (no rain). When I got home, I let the quilt air out on a line for the day, then put it in from on a large industry style fan for a couple more days and then continued to let it sit out in the open, not stored in in the storage sack in the closet with the rest of my quilts. I'm on week 3 of "airing" out the quilt but it still smells like a wet/damp dog, enough so that it is noticeable when you walk in the room (wife has let me know on numerous occasions).

I understand that quilts will naturally have some type of smell (ultimately a bag of animal feathers), but this seems a bit different, as mentioned above, it is noticeable when walking in the room. I have other quilts from this manufacturer and a couple others manufactures but have not experienced this lingering remaining smell before. Even when used in very humid/rainy conditions.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it worth sending in to have the quilt inspected? Do other people's quilts permanently smell like wet dog? A 0-degree quilt is a fairly significant investment, so I'd like to get this resolved.

Quilt Specs:
    - 20D Inner & Outer Shell
    - 800 Down Fill Power (duck down)
    - 4 Oz of Overstuff

Thanks in advance,
    A.A.
    Last edited by Adventurous_Angler; 10-20-2022 at 11:52.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Fit were me, I would get someone else’s opinion as to severity of smell, maybe another hammock camper who has quilts, if they noticed significant odor, I’d contact the vendor. I’d describe the problem, and ask for a return and full refund.

Most any animal product, might have some smell.
    Maybe camp with other hammock campers to compare and contrast your quilt with others.
    If the difference is pronounced, then work with vendor. If it’s a well known vendor—your quilt can be an anomaly-or a one off.

I’ve not noticed extreme odor from my quilts from two different well known vendors. I can detect a trace of a scent, but it’s not disagreeable or strong

If your vendor won’t help you, you could provide more details here. But I would not do that, unless other hammock campers agreed the odor is too much when compared with their quilts

At a certain point, you could sell your quilt at a greatly reduced price. But your potential customer should be warned before purchase

Good luck

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Fit were me, I would get someone else’s opinion as to severity of smell, maybe another hammock camper who has quilts, if they noticed significant odor, I’d contact the vendor. I’d describe the problem, and ask for a return and full refund.

Most any animal product, might have some smell.
    Maybe camp with other hammock campers to compare and contrast your quilt with others.
    If the difference is pronounced, then work with vendor. If it’s a well known vendor—your quilt can be an anomaly-or a one off.

I’ve not noticed extreme odor from my quilts from two different well known vendors. I can detect a trace of a scent, but it’s not disagreeable or strong

If your vendor won’t help you, you could provide more details here. But I would not do that, unless other hammock campers agreed the odor is too much when compared with their quilts

At a certain point, you could sell your quilt at a greatly reduced price. But your potential customer should be warned before purchase

Good luck
    Thanks for the perspective Phantom Grappler. I'll definitely connect with a few others to conduct the sniff test and see what they're thoughts are on the smell. Would a down quilt differ much from a down sleeping bag in this regard?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I don’t know if they would differ. Each gear item is unique to itself. But maybe only noticeable if there was something wrong

Good luck DoubleA

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks Phantom Grappler

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    To be fair, any vendor could get a bad batch of down, that is off in quality or odor.
    After confirmation with other hammock campers, give vendor a chance to make the best of situation.

Good luck

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    This used to be quite common in the forums. I assume it's still a common occurrence, but I dunno.

Unless there's something unique to yours, I say stick with it and it should get better....I hope. It worked for folks that it used to happen to.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    This used to be quite common in the forums. I assume it's still a common occurrence, but I dunno.

Unless there's something unique to yours, I say stick with it and it should get better....I hope. It worked for folks that it used to happen to.
    Thanks Otter1 - So your sense is that this could potentially dissipate over time?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I've never had a down product smell, even those 50 years old. The sleeping bag I used for 40 years had a "well used" smell, but not off-putting. I'd inquire with the maker about a return. If that fails, perhaps some time in a big bag with baking powder would help, and more fresh air and (limited) sunshine.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I've never had a down product smell, even those 50 years old. The sleeping bag I used for 40 years had a "well used" smell, but not off-putting. I'd inquire with the maker about a return. If that fails, perhaps some time in a big bag with baking powder would help, and more fresh air and (limited) sunshine.
    Deadeye - I appreciate you weighing in and it's helpful to know that you have not had an issue with your down products. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast