WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbiker View Post
    Give it time. It will clear up. All new will have a particular smell until it has time to air out'
    I think the smell has started to dissipate slightly, but not entirely sure. I will wait another couple of weeks before trying anything else. I hope the old adage "time heals all" rings turn for this quilt!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurous_Angler View Post
    Twistytee - I have not washed a quilt yet, so you detailing out your process is helpful. It is also comforting to know others have washed their down with Nikwax and had success. Appreciate the advice.
    A few more tips: I try to limit washing to once per year, if they need it, in order to preserve the integrity of nylon shells and stitching. I’ve done this with my down sleeping bags, quilts, and down puffy jacket. I use the low spin option on the wash rinse cycle. And if they’re still a bit damp after the no heat dryer cycle (usually takes two or three 20 min cycles), I hang in the sun and then lay flat indoors to help remove humidity before putting back in their cotton storage bags.

If I didn’t own a side load washing machine, I would take down items to a laundromat and use a commercial side loader without a center agitator. I believe the occasional hand washing with dual rinse has been key to keeping my down gear smelling fresh. That plus letting it air dry after each trip and before storing away.

Also, if you purchased this quilt new from one of the cottage manufacturers, no harm in contacting them to see if they help remedy the situation. I’ve found most of their customer service to be quite good. They rely on referrals from happy customers so they should want to make sure you are satisfied with their product.

Images
    When I used to bow hunt for feral hogs, the use of "Scent Killer" always did the trick.

Put the item in the dryer under no heat, "Air Fluff" and open the dryer door and spray away. Close dryer door and run for 5-minutes and repeat until the odor is eliminated.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    A few more tips: I try to limit washing to once per year, if they need it, in order to preserve the integrity of nylon shells and stitching. I’ve done this with my down sleeping bags, quilts, and down puffy jacket. I use the low spin option on the wash rinse cycle. And if they’re still a bit damp after the no heat dryer cycle (usually takes two or three 20 min cycles), I hang in the sun and then lay flat indoors to help remove humidity before putting back in their cotton storage bags.

If I didn’t own a side load washing machine, I would take down items to a laundromat and use a commercial side loader without a center agitator. I believe the occasional hand washing with dual rinse has been key to keeping my down gear smelling fresh. That plus letting it air dry after each trip and before storing away.

Also, if you purchased this quilt new from one of the cottage manufacturers, no harm in contacting them to see if they help remedy the situation. I’ve found most of their customer service to be quite good. They rely on referrals from happy customers so they should want to make sure you are satisfied with their product.
    Twistytee – I appreciate the detail, again very helpful. Thank you!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    When I used to bow hunt for feral hogs, the use of "Scent Killer" always did the trick.

Put the item in the dryer under no heat, "Air Fluff" and open the dryer door and spray away. Close dryer door and run for 5-minutes and repeat until the odor is eliminated.
    Joe_Guilbeau – I have not heard/thought of using “Scent Killer” for this. Appreciate it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123