Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Question Winter tips for Amok Draumr UL

Hey guys, I know lots of folks don't like this hammock, so please don't make this post about that. I love this thing. My other hammock is a Dream-Hammock Dangerbird, and it has a winter cover - a feature I love and have found very useful in cold weather.

I used my Amok Draumr UL this weekend in temps down in the 40's and I really wish I could block some of the wind, and get a little bit of insulation. This particular model does NOT allow the bug net to zip off - so I can't just have someone sew a cover for it, unless they modified the whole zipper, which I'm guessing would be expensive custom non-warranty work.

So my question is: has anyone made a winter sock for this hammock? or maybe some sort of "clip-on" winter cover to go over most of the bug net with a little spot for ventilation?

I have read about people using blankets and all sorts of stuff they adhere to the top of the hammock. I'm wondering if there's any tips on going that direction?

Was using the UL mat and it's rated down to 19 deg F and it stayed warm, no issues.

I am thinking I may get the winterlight mat they have, and then just upgrade to a 0 deg F quilt if nothing else, but still wishing I could find something that works here.

Any ideas welcome!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    WesArnold I have the Draumr UL and have slept in it down to 25 degrees. I wouldn't take it much lower than that without the Fjol winterlight (5.0 R value) and an appropriate quilt. I doubt there will be many aftermarket add-ons available for the Amok, given its unique 90-degree design. The only other variable I'd mess with is the distance of the tarp from the ridgeline, which might minimize breeze and spindrift.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Slip a foam pad in with your AMOK pad. That helps.
    A larger tarp with doors of course would help. I added my Superfly to my Draumr. Nice t have the doors closed though you have to get the footed covered just right. Maybe a tarp with doors over 10' wide with doors would be your solution.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Superior Gear - Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    HG under quilt
    Suspension
    Superior Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WesArnold View Post
    Hey guys, I know lots of folks don't like this hammock, so please don't make this post about that. I love this thing. My other hammock is a Dream-Hammock Dangerbird, and it has a winter cover - a feature I love and have found very useful in cold weather.

I used my Amok Draumr UL this weekend in temps down in the 40's and I really wish I could block some of the wind, and get a little bit of insulation. This particular model does NOT allow the bug net to zip off - so I can't just have someone sew a cover for it, unless they modified the whole zipper, which I'm guessing would be expensive custom non-warranty work.

So my question is: has anyone made a winter sock for this hammock? or maybe some sort of "clip-on" winter cover to go over most of the bug net with a little spot for ventilation?

I have read about people using blankets and all sorts of stuff they adhere to the top of the hammock. I'm wondering if there's any tips on going that direction?

Was using the UL mat and it's rated down to 19 deg F and it stayed warm, no issues.

I am thinking I may get the winterlight mat they have, and then just upgrade to a 0 deg F quilt if nothing else, but still wishing I could find something that works here.

Any ideas welcome!

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I spent a week testing out various options with my new to me Draumr 5.0 when I should have listened to Shug (and saved myself a sore throat, too!).

Simply light designs sell their Winter Haven for 90 degree hammocks: https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...ock-compatible

Did find a post where some one rigged a space blanket(?) over the ridgeline and about 1/3 up the head end, but I've lost the link now. If I were trying it I'll use shock cord around the foot box to the pole, clip to the ridge line on either side and for the upper 1/3 head end run shock cord to the head end pole on one side and on the other use a clip on the cover (so you could open it to get in & out).
    Last edited by HarveyM; 10-17-2022 at 14:26.

Images
    A 0-Deg F synthetic rectangular sleeping bag will keep your body heat in, however it is bulky and they weigh in at about 6-7 lbs.

I will bring two, one to lay on, and one to lay inside... did I mention that I do not hike?

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    WesArnold, I also have the Draumr UL with the Fjol UL pad. It has turned out to be my go to hammock. I've hung in temperatures in the low 20's. I add a thin, mylar coated EVA pad on top of the Fjol. That seems to add significantly to the R value. The Winterlight would be a good bet. I use a 20 degree top quilt and stay comfortable.

The entire hammock (including the bug "net") is made of the same Ammolight fabric, so covering or replacing just the bug net wouldn't prevent much wind penetration. An entire winter sock would be a possibility, but as Shug said, a tarp with good coverage and doors helps a lot. I had Jared from Simply Light Designs do a custom tarp that keeps me pretty cozy.

SLD CUSTOM TARP.jpg
    Last edited by kghiker; 10-18-2022 at 20:47.

• + New Posts