Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    November in GA you're unlikely to see much below upper 20s on the Bartram trail (aside from the shocking 45/23 night this upcoming Tuesday which is an aberration for October) and even then it'll be an hour or two in the early morning. You can supplement with UQP or foam pad, but being from Florida, there might be an acclimatization period (after all, I would never survive a Minnesota winter trip even with Shug's best gear). If possible, a couple of nights car camping before starting the hike could give you an idea of whether or not you need the pad.
    Last edited by Hang Williams; 10-15-2022 at 20:53.

First off, you're going to love the Bartram. It's a great trail.

As for insulation, what Shug said: add a pad. For situations like you describe my go-to is a thin closed EVA foam pad, 1/8 inch thick, that I got from Mountain Laurel Designs. It's relatively cheap, very lightweight and so versatile that I won't hike without it. I use it often to give me that little extra boost that keeps my back from getting chilled. I'll put in a link below.

Another thing to consider might be a decent underquilt protector. Keeping the wind from robbing warmth allows your underquilt to work to its full potential.

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/pr...-1-8-foam-pad/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    What kinda quilts do you have? Are they comfort rated? I can tell you that with a 3/4 length underquilt I need to supplement the footbox with a sit pad or something to get near the rated temps. I have a 40F HG Burrow/Phoenix combo that works well down to the low 50s, but once it gets below that the footbox needs help.
    I have a set of sierra madre inferno 30 degree quilts. They’ve been down to 35 (ish?) without issue and without adding padded bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    First off, you're going to love the Bartram. It's a great trail.

As for insulation, what Shug said: add a pad. For situations like you describe my go-to is a thin closed EVA foam pad, 1/8 inch thick, that I got from Mountain Laurel Designs. It's relatively cheap, very lightweight and so versatile that I won't hike without it. I use it often to give me that little extra boost that keeps my back from getting chilled. I'll put in a link below.

Another thing to consider might be a decent underquilt protector. Keeping the wind from robbing warmth allows your underquilt to work to its full potential.

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/pr...-1-8-foam-pad/
    I am SUPER excited about this trail (and to get out of the sandy swamp). Nice to hear it’s a good one!

That foam pad looks like a good thing to have on hand. Do those absorb water? (Need to be stored in pack or dry bag?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    November in GA you're unlikely to see much below upper 20s on the Bartram trail (aside from the shocking 45/23 night this upcoming Tuesday which is an aberration for October) and even then it'll be an hour or two in the early morning. You can supplement with UQP or foam pad, but being from Florida, there might be an acclimatization period
    Oh, phew! I was a bit unnerved at the temp already hitting the 20’s. Good to know it’s a fluke (though good reminder that those can happen anytime).

This trip was specifically picked as a first foray into colder weather. Acclimatization….

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The "foam pad" is also referred to as a CCF pad - Closed Cell Foam - note the word "Closed". they're often seen strapped to the top or bottom of a backpack. When packed, some are rolled into a cylinder, some are folded like an accordion. Many have a blue color and they come in various thicknesses (R-factors). There is nothing to inflate; nothing to leak.

They come in various widths and lengths. Over the years - make that over the decades - I have a collection of about five. Somewhere along the way, I switched over to Therm-a-rest, and from there, when I discovered hammocks, to underquits. When kayaking, I often carry a pad - the Therm-a-Rest folds up smaller - in case I have to go to ground.

The CCF pad used to be very inexpensive. I'm sure it still is compared to today's $100+ inflatables. You can trim the pad to the minimum size necessary for its intended job. For example, if you don't need its full length, you can cut a foot or two off the length and just use that piece as a footpad when that's all you need.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thanks! Foam pads are a thing I have little experience with, but my friend has this one:

https://www.gossamergear.com/product...light-foam-pad

I feel like it got wet last trip and stored “some” water - like looked a little damply discolored and had to be sunned for that to go away? That’s what led me to ask. I had guessed at the time that it wasn’t something to use again until it was all the way dry, but maybe it doesn’t matter? Like wool… insulates fine when damp?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I remember hiking with the old open-cell pads (egg-crate foam) — relatively comfy, but a bit heavier every day. CCF is much better, though I haven’t found newer ones as soft as the old Ensolite pads. I know a lot of people really like the ones that fold rather than rolling (Z-rest?), fwiw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Gossamer Gear closed cell foam pads can be as large as 70x40 inches
    Get that size and trim to desired dimensions with a good scissors along a pre-marked line

Don’t cut with a knife—cut edges will be jagged
    Don’t be so fast to trim to size
    Once cut to a smaller size—it don’t grow back

Many times hammock campers bodies are wider than their pads—automatic cold spot where they hangover sides of pad

Water does not soak into pad
    As soon as I could afford a 20* set of quilts, I stopped using pads.

I think I had 3/16 inch thickness, or was it 1/8 inch?!?!?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Make sure that the thickness (R factor) of the Gossamer Gear CCF pad is what you want. I have some GG CCF sheets and they would be good for a foot pad in a hammock or something to sit on if the ground was not snow-covered. But, for me, it would be a little light, just by itself, for winter.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast