GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend

Hammock camping and designated campsites

Most of the time when I camp, whether backcountry or frontcountry, it's at a designated campsite. Nearly always, I can't be sure that there will be suitable trees at the site - even if there's a little picture provided by the online reservation system. The picture is often too limited in field of view or it may be out of date. In any case - the usual advice of "just hike on a bit and you'll quickly find some good trees" - that doesn't apply for designated campsites. How do hammock dwellers solve this conundrum? I don't get the feeling they go to ground much. Do you all largely avoid designated campsites - or at least the smaller ones that have a lower chance of having suitable trees?

I've done some hammock camping, and had mixed results, sleep-wise. And because of the designated campsite thing, I've largely tented. But now it looks like I have come to a point when my tents may need replacement soon, and it's occurred to me I could give hammock camping another go, and perhaps put a bit of that tent-replacement money into hammock gear. For instance I have a DD 3m x 3m tarp that seems well made and tough, but is relatively heavy. I could probably shave a pound off tarp weight, which is great, but truth be told I struggle more with pack room than pack weight. Another thing that might help me is a winter sock, esp. since I use a CCF pad instead of an underquilt (I tried an UQ and found it too drafty, fiddly, and bulky in my pack).

Anyway I have a trip coming up mid-Nov where there's a designated site I've been to before. It's fairly large, hard-packed dirt, and I think there are suitable trees. Seems like a good situation to try hammock camping. Avg low 35F, +/- 10 degrees.

But far more often I'm at sites that are smaller, with unknown tree situation, or the park rules state that the "tent" must be kept on the tent pad (and the trees around the pad are way too far apart to suspend a hammock over it), etc. How do you all do it? Or do you stick to other places? (if so I still need tents ...).

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I use a Tensa Solo if they let me use trees and there are "NOT" good second trees, or a version of a pole stand.
    If they won't let me use trees at all then a stand is your option.
    I do a version of two Solos, one at each end. Others use stands like the Tensa4. My mom just got an ENO stand (short and expensive, but she didn't ask me first) for times like you're describing.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I camp at Ontario provincial park designated sites a lot. Generally their photos are pretty good, but once I camped at site I had stayed at a couple years before & one of my preferred trees had fallen, so I used a sub optimal pair for that hang. Things happen. I generally have an air mattress and light tyvek ground sheet in case I do have to go to ground- It's happened once when I stayed at a friend's campsite. Not a real problem. Aside from that you can call the park and ask if they have a suitable site for hammocking, or ask what sites are still available when you arrive and check them out before choosing your site. Generally I've found staff are very accommodating.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I avoid all established campsites. When camping, I don't want to be surrounded by signs of human presence such as fire ring, camp table, pit toilet, and especially motor vehicles. I hate finding trash, bullet casings, scarred trees, and digging up other peoples' catholes. So, backpacking is my default, and I'll bushwhack off trail as far as necessary to assure that I won't see or be seen from trail, making moot whatever regulations may be in place about allowable camping areas: stealth. I make no fires, play no music, make minimal use of headlamp, leave no trace, and enjoy a lot of peace this way. I also avoid nearly all critter issues: critters large and small know where the campsites are, and work hard to get your food. On rare occasions that I must camp in a designated area, say for social reasons or extreme topography, and there's any question about availability of trees, I bring a stand. Trekking Treez if miles of hiking are likely, and Tensa4 if site is likely near my vehicle.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't avoid designated campsites, unless I have to. It ain't that hard to stealth camp. When stealth camping, I always wake up at the break of dawn, pack up and get out of there.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    In NC state parks, I’ve never had complaints when I hung just outside the official campsite — when my scout troop camps at our local one, we often wind up strung out between the different sites we have reserved for the weekend, to get everyone in trees. When I did the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, I brought my Tensa Solo, and always found at least one tree. I’m East coast enough not to have encountered a place with *no* trees, though. I might spring for a Tensa4 or Yobo if that were more likely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Thanks to all - sounds like I've not overlooked anything obvious: avoid designated sites; if you can't, consider a stand, or hanging on the periphery or stealth if possible.

The one exception I've found to iffy luck at designated sites is when it's a group campsite. Those are usually large enough that one's chances of finding suitable trees are high, not only because there are just more trees and space overall, but also on a group trip there aren't usually that many hammockers competing for the same good trees. Unless of course it's a hammock hang!

Hammock
    Dutch 11-foot
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Insulation
    HammockGear quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Designated sites aren't my first choice, for many of the same reasons you mention.
    But all my hiker pals are ground-dwellers, so it happens.
    I've always managed to find usable trees at or near the designated sites.
    When possible, I phone the campsite beforehand to see what they can tell me about the site.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Like cold or rainy weather, it's not so much a matter of avoiding it as it is being prepared for it. Unfortunately, "designated" sites are usually stripped of trees to make flat ground for tents. I liken it to how they groom a snow path for Skate Skiers. Yes, it's snow and yes, they are on skis - but it's just not the same as being "Out there". And those trees between sites are just ripe for territorial disputes. In fact, the posted literature says you can hang a hammock at South Camp in Zion National Park, but when you get there you find you can only hang in some places and NOT where trees have a site on each side (territorial dispute potential).

I've driven around and around, I've looked at those tiny photos online, trying to find something that works. Then I realized if there were a tree near the auto pull-off at the site, I could anchor to the Jeep and tie it to one tree. After I mentioned that in a post, someone warned me that those car roof luggage racks are sometimes only held on with sheet metal screws and not designed to hold 100+ lbs shear force to the side. But, I have a Yakama rack for the kayak and that would be fine.

The next evolutionary step was mentioned by LowTech. I second the Solo. These days I keep the Tensa Solo in the jeep - always ready. It's a great investment if you are car camping and camping with ground dwellers. You want to be near, but not too near. You can just put your hammock strap around one tree in, or on the border of, your site and set up the Solo pole inside your site perimeter. In the Trip sub-forum, I posted a report on eight days around Orcas Island and it shows where I had to use the Solo three times.

There are a lot of DIY projects that might provide the same site flexibility.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon double layered
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    So far :knock on wood: I’ve had good luck with COE parks in Arkansas and Missouri. The pictures have been a pretty good representation of the sites. The last one was a good site but not very scenic or by the water but now that I’ve gone thru that camp I know where to reserve now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast