Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommended UL tarp?

Sent this as an email, but curious what tarp people would suggest when pairing with the following:

1. Either will be buying a SLD Trail Lair or Dream Hammocks Darien netted 11' tent. (depending on best price/etc)
    2. Intended conditions: 3-season, typically would aim for 30-70f temps, lowest I'd want to go would be 10f.
    3. I'm in the mid-atlantic (DC/NoVA) for usual humid/hot conditions and mild elevation. Not sure how often I'd bring this on remote trips

What tarp do you think offers the best balance of not being too heavy, but also enough coverage in windy/rainy weather?
    FWIW I'm open to tarps from other brands as well if they are a better fit or value.

Mostly open to sil-poly or DCF. No idea which I should go with when it comes to hex vs asym vs a-frame, doors, etc.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Laurie just got a Dutchware Xenon UL bonded 12' rectangle. Was very surprised by the space provided by such a light tarp that compacts down very small when packed. They're are lighter options if you can afford them tho.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    My primary is a sil-poly Warbonnet Thunderfly. Usually set up like a hex tarp, with the beaks clipped up on the ridgeline but for storms I'll deploy with the beaks staked down.

2019-12-14_10-15-15_082 (2).jpg

ozG65FlrRuqceHJsGc688g.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    There's nothing wrong with silpoly, and the Dutch bonded Xenon 1.1 is an excellent tarp. I have the 11' hex and it is noticeably wider and has a less acute angle at the ends compared to the HammockGear DCF hex and therefore has a bit better coverage for wind and rain. SLD is excellent gear (I have 3 Tree runners and a couple of tarps, asym and ground tarp) and the service is crazy fast.

DCF is of course going to be substantially lighter and more expensive. But it might be worth it if you're an all-in UL'er who's counting grams and looking for that last Nth degree of weight savings. So you have to be realistic and ask yourself if ~8oz difference will matter to you.

The HG hex is by far my most used tarp. It has held up well with lots of use for almost 5 years now and it can provide adequate coverage in foul weather with proper orientation and good site selection and a low pitch, right down to the hammock SRL. I use it even in the winter when conditions are not too heinous. If you like gobs of room under the tarp and want to pitch it high enough to stand under, the typical hex is not the way to go.

DCF has somewhat of a bad reputation for being bulkier, so I included a comparison pic to demonstrate that it needn't be an issue.

HG DCF hex

cross_mtn_camp_snow_small.jpg

Dutch Xenon 1.1

cyrus_under_dutch_xenon_tarp_small.jpg

Folded size comparison

xenon_vs_dcf.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 10-13-2022 at 07:11.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    That's a couple a nice cmoulder folds.

Just the time I don't spend wrapping that cordage into figure 8's probably saves me 10mins on every tear down.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    That's a couple a nice cmoulder folds.

Just the time I don't spend wrapping that cordage into figure 8's probably saves me 10mins on every tear down.
    Way quicker, which is good even when you're not in a hurry. It's always a nice feeling when everything is all packed up.

One of the best things I learned more than 30 years ago from an American Alpine Institute guide/instructor, "a place for everything and everything in its place" and "keep the pile moving..." no wasted motion. It was almost scary how quickly that guy had his kit squared away.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    You have convinced me to ditch the snakeskins and try folding.

Both for the health of the material and more compact storage.

I'll report back.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    You have convinced me to ditch the snakeskins and try folding.

Both for the health of the material and more compact storage.

I'll report back.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Looking forward to your impressions!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Looking forward to your impressions!
    Didn't you post a video of your technique? I have yet to switch to DCF, but every now and then those HG sales include the DCF tarps and my mouse button finger gets all twitchy. Honestly the price is the price, doesn't bother me...it was the supposed bulkiness (in the snake skin) that held me back.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Didn't you post a video of your technique? I have yet to switch to DCF, but every now and then those HG sales include the DCF tarps and my mouse button finger gets all twitchy. Honestly the price is the price, doesn't bother me...it was the supposed bulkiness (in the snake skin) that held me back.
    Folded that way my HG Hex practically jumps back into the provided stuff sack. Before the cmoulder fold that nice DCF stuff sack was a one time user. It would come out and never go back.

Also noticed...the provided stuff sack is way lighter than any set of snakeskins I've used. Lighter, less volume. What's not to like.
    If I decide I want the open sky, easy enough to take a couple stakes out and lay the loose side back over the staked half. The weight of the stakes is usually enough on a calm night to keep it there.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast