Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Smile Welcome Fall Weather!

Ah, the crisp Fall air! Bug nets are useful when they're needed and a nuisance when they're not. It's finally time to zip the net off my PBH. We have below freezing night temperatures in West Virginia this week, so I finally have a chance to evaluate my new fitted underquilt. At 28° F, 25° F., and 29° F. the past three nights my back and butt were nice and warm. Cold feet the first night turned out to be caused by misalignment of my stacked summer top quilts. Once I tied the foot boxes together and used snaps to connect the edges, they worked perfectly. The fitted underquilt with 2.5" baffles weighs 13 oz, and I now confidently rate it for 30° F. for absolute comfort and 20° F. for survival. I have a shaped synthetic UQ to fit under this one that I'll use for the Mt. Rogers winter hang. Both quilts have 7 tiny neodymion magnets sewn into small channels to hold the top layer of the synthetic quilt to the bottom layer of the down quilt, so the second quilt can be hung so it doesn't compress the first one.

Another Fall plus - the cold snap is bringing out the reds in the turning leaves. The woods are especially beautiful this year.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I just got back from the UP again. I just barely hit the peak colors, but after hiking 5 miles it was perfect, then past peak 5 more, then GREEN 5 more miles, then back to peak, etc... very strange. On my way back driving down I75, the colors were EXPLODING right around the Wolverine/Vanderbilt area. All hardwoods in the hills, mostly maples. Yes, those reds always get me. Simply amazing.

I never tried the magnet thing but that always intrigued me. Seems like a great solution to get a good fit.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    3916302B00000578-3821721-Impressive_Wang_Baoqiang_discovered_his_ability_to_hold_objects_-a-7_14.jpg

After weeks in his magnet quilt…
    Enhancing your magnetic personality, WV?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    ENO
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    ENO
    We don’t normally get temps that cold here in upstate SC. I have a 40 degree uq that, so far, works pretty well. Might want to look at a 20 degree just to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts