Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips

Dreamtex vs older warbonnet nylon hammock

Just curious to find out how the new the Dreamtex material compares with the older nylon material. Is it much more comfortable? Is it more stretchy ? Is it worth replacing my XLC and RR if the only change is the hammock material ?

Thanks Rick

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have an older nylon blackbird and a dreamtex XLC. The XLC has a bit more texture to it, not quite as slick as the old stuff. I think its the ripstop weave that gives it its feel and the extra strength compared to the old material.

I do prefer the new dreamtex material overall, but I wouldnt go out of my way to buy a new hammock just for the new material, wasnt that big of a difference in my mind at least.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My first BlackBird and RidgeRunner were the standard nylon and double-layer. This year I picked up single-layer versions in DreamTex for weight savings and the realization that I don't need the DL for weight capacity or a sleeping pad. The DreamTex is stretchier - but that doesn't make it bad; just different.

I'm not a "princess and the pea" sleeper - well maybe the pee part in the middle of the night. If I can nod off soon after I'm in any hammock, I didn't work hard enough during the day. Gotto pays my dues (work) to get my reward (sound sleep).

Now if that "stretchier" is more because it's SL instead of DL, or because it's DreamTex vs Nylon ???? I'm sure it's a little of both. Both are comfortable for me, but if you really prefer a firmer bed, I'm guessing you would be happier with the nylon and maybe DL at that.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    Thanks Sideshowraheen and Cougarmeat for our replies.

I'm guessing the new dreamtex material is probably similar to Dutch's Hexon 1.6 material

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Here's a review to consider (from Youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufrbEuEARtQ
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    Thanks Iceman for the link. I watched it. According to Rob, the dreamtex is more comfortable (cotton like feel) but not a huge difference compared to standard nylon. Rob does a good job in showing the new features of the current Ridgerunner

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I have a new Ridge-runner and one from 2012, which I think had the old material.
    The problem I find is that I am never fully naked in either hammock to fully test things out.

I like the old metal pole ends is the only impression one way or another that I can attest to.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you like it a little less firm, go with the dream-tex and/or a single layer. As far as "feel", I usually wear cotton jammies so everything feels like cotton. But early this year I pulled out an old set of Silk top/bottom from very early "summit" days. I forgot how light and warm, and un-bulky it was. So now maybe, whatever the hammock fabric is, it will all feel like silk.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts