WBBXL
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Yeti/Diamond
    Suspension
    whoopies/buckles
    Images
    That is a really nice idea. I carry a pair of whoopies, but when the trees get too close together your shorties would really help. Thanks!

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I honestly prefer whoopies. But the problem is I’m famous for finding trees closely spaced together, which of course is the crutch of whoopies, so I find myself using a becket hitch setup most often.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I honestly prefer whoopies. But the problem is I’m famous for finding trees closely spaced together, which of course is the crutch of whoopies, so I find myself using a becket hitch setup most often.
    If you check out post #9 above, there is a way to make whoopies much shorter.

And I thought of another way to make them even shorter. Instead of using a splice for the fixed eye, tie it with a knot such as overhand or figure 8, and put the end of the adjustable bury very close to the knot. This will result in a totally functional whoopie less than 10 inches in length.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    I just broke a Myerstech UHMPE strap (user error; trees way too far apart), so I decided to try whoopies for the first time. I've used straps and a Becket Hitch for a few years and looking forward to trying whoopies out.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    I have a slight preference for the Becket Hitch or Lapp Knot using Warbonnet Dynaweave straps. A problem with the Dynaweave straps is that they tend to twist up and be harsh on soft barked trees. I have whoopies on a couple of hammocks and like them fine. I have one hammock with straps and buckles. I find that the straps start to fray pretty quickly. I'll probably replace with whoopies. I recently picked up two pairs of Dutch Biners to use with the whoopies and find them very convenient. I plan on trying a Becket Hitch on one end and a whoopie on the other end as an experiment.
    Last edited by Ithica; 11-30-2022 at 18:01.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just used whoopie slings this weekend for the first time in two or three years. I gotta admit - though beetle buckles (which I have been using) have their advantages, the whoopie sling is the superior hammock suspension for normal use. I might lean toward beetle buckles in freezing weather.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    12' w/ zippered bugnet
    Tarp
    quiet ones
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    beetles, wasps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I just used whoopie slings this weekend for the first time in two or three years. I gotta admit - though beetle buckles (which I have been using) have their advantages, the whoopie sling is the superior hammock suspension for normal use. I might lean toward beetle buckles in freezing weather.
    after using beetles for a very short time they've become harder to adjust recently. I have a cheap hammock with uhmpe whoopie ridgeline that slips a bunch, but my Amsteel whoopies seem ok. I may try whoopies for suspension with my 2" tree huggers.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC Single Layer
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ & TQ
    I am about to make my first set of whoopies for a DIY gathered end I made. I have been using the stock buckles from my BBXLC for a couple years, so looking forward to trying something new. On the topic of whoopies being too long, has anyone tried to install beetle buckles onto their tree hugger straps (the ones I made are 6'), and attached the CL on the hammock directly to the buckle. My plan is to splice a dutch whoopie hook onto the adjustable end to connect the whoopie to the CL, does anyone foresee any issue with using this system? Seems like this will be very versatile and quick to adjust, without the space limitations of a whoopie along. The beetle buckles weigh a negligible amount more than a Ti toggle and MSH, so I'm wondering why I haven't seen more people using a combo system like this, maybe because there are so many moving parts and pieces that most deem it over complicated?

Hammock
    12' w/ zippered bugnet
    Tarp
    quiet ones
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    beetles, wasps
    Quote Originally Posted by rgriffin View Post
    ...has anyone tried to install beetle buckles onto their tree hugger straps (the ones I made are 6'), and attached the CL on the hammock directly to the buckle. My plan is to splice a dutch whoopie hook onto the adjustable end to connect the whoopie to the CL, does anyone foresee any issue with using this system? Seems like this will be very versatile and quick to adjust, without the space limitations of a whoopie along. The beetle buckles weigh a negligible amount more than a Ti toggle and MSH, so I'm wondering why I haven't seen more people using a combo system like this, maybe because there are so many moving parts and pieces that most deem it over complicated?
    I see no issue with this though I do try for only one adjustment point per side. Around here 6' tree straps can be too short to attach titanium hardware without it gnawing into the bark. I carry 2" wide 6' tree straps AND beetle buckle straps (12 foot each) AND whoopie slings as a backup (I tend to forget things places, and I don't count grams).

so aside from multiple adjustment points/multiple points of failure for very wide hangs, yours is still a lightweight rig, and packable for several miles at a time.

and a huge plus side to your rig is that you have whoopies with hooks to use as utility lines for other things if you luck upon a narrow set of trees.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Kelty 20F
    I've been using 1/2" mule tape for a couple of years and really like it. Very light and very strong.

You can get 1,000ft of it for $65.
    Bridge hammock. Mostly DIY for gear. Three sons camp with me (14yrs, 11yrs, 9yrs).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast