Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Whoopie slings are far superior for the following reasons:

1. They’re easy and fun to make.
    2. You get to say “Whoopie” a lot - even if only in your own head!
    3. You can use small sticks for toggles and watch other people’s eyes bulge when they think you’re going to support your whole weight on them.

As for useability and practicality, the differences are probably so small that it all comes down to personal preference.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I've been using whoopies in warm weather, python straps in cold. Like other people have said, in the NE I run into issues with trees being a little too close together for whoopies so I've been using my pythons more frequently even though they weigh more. Setup is so simple with the pythons and I can wear gloves/mittens and still get my hammock up.

I'd love to try beetle buckles and straps for the fun of it, although I really don't have a problem adjusting between loops.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Personally I don't use Whoopie slings anymore the Dutch buckles are a lot better and more simple to adjust the hammock
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Datahiker, sometimes the 5 - 6 inch sewn step between chain loops is too much. I made a small Amsteel loop, about 6 - 8 inches. I can fold that in half, put it in the Daisy Chain loop and connect the carabiner to it. That gives me about a "half step" between the sewn loops of the chain when I need it. I keep the loop on the carabiner I store clipped to the Daisy Chain - so it's always with the set.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I just recently bought some super cool whoopies from Phoenix (AJ) that has functionality built in that is similar to EVO loops. I wish I had a link to a web site to show what they are. I'll take a photo an add it here.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Our whoopies are still on our hammocks from 5 yrs ago and still in storage in Tn.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've always used whoopies. They're not perfect, but I can make them work. Experiments with straps and hardware were disappointing, but I'll try knots (J-bend or Becket Hitch) next. I don't have problems with trees being too close, in part because the Origami endcap at the foot end of my PBH effectively shortens the triangle suspension so the hammock length is about ten feet. Also, I seldom hang at established campsites, so there's a lot of forest to search for a suitable pair of trees in a sheltered location.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I find the space requirements make the whoopies not desirable. The last weekend I was out. On my kids hammock the space was too tight on the foot end and I switched that end to a dyneema strap with a becket hitch. I had an extra set of becket straps which I switched one hammock to as Idid not like the tree straps the chameleon came with (short and would not knot well). On the RR the spacing was also tight and I had to retire the marlin spike to get the space to work and shorten the whoopie till it only had a couple of inches of adjustability (which is all you ever really want for fine tuning). But I was wondering what the advantage was.

I think the whoopies are good if you are knot adverse. Though the becket hitch is super easy to tie. If you can tie your shoes you can tie a becket hitch. Technically it is easier than typing you shoe. When Ifirst hang my hammock I just throw in a slippery hitch when doing initial placement and then switch over to the becket as I get it close. It unties really well as long as you pull on the line the right way.

I'll use the whoopies in Spring, Summer, and Fall. In Winter, I often just use a slipped backet hitch with the hammock continuous loops.

I like whoopies and if the trees are too close together I'll ditch the whoopie on one side (or if necessary both sides) and use a toggle to attach my hammock's continuous loop to my daisy chain style tree straps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast