Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by ccrowhurst View Post
    Where did you get the CF snake skins from ? mine are mesh, interested in the weight difference.
    The CF snake skin was made by Hammock Gear. I either picked it up used or it came with another piece of gear that I picked up of the HF sale forum. It has been a while so I don't remember the particulars. Definitely light weight.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    ccrowhurst - think on this ... though the tarp has many uses - sun/bird protection, privacy (not so much with a CF tarp), and such, its usual raison d'etre is to keep you dry in the rain. That means the tarp gets wet instead of you. And in that case, when you put it in the snakeskin, the interior of the snake skin gets wet too. And at some point, you'll want to dry out the tarp and snakeskin before you put them away. My experience is a mesh snakeskin dries faster than a tube (nylon, poly, CF) with a wet interior.

I don't know about a CF skin, but I had to turn my HH skin inside out so that it would dry while I was drying the tarp. That's when I switched to mesh.

I don't use the skin to keep the tarp corralled while star gazing. I use it because twice I have had to put up a tarp in a strong wind and it was less than pleasant. With a skin, you can expose the tarp to the wind a little at a time and guy it out as you go. And, in such a windy environment, you may decide to change your location/orientation. It's much easier to slide the skin back on, relocate, and reset, than taking down an 11 ft or larger spinnaker.

Those are my reasons for having a snakeskin rather than not, and for using mesh rather than a solid tube of any fabric.

And slide the skin over both the tarp and ridgeline (kept attached to the tarp).
    This.

Over the years I've tried most of the ideas for storing or deploying a tarp. While I strive to have the lightest pack possible, if it means I have to fiddle more or have extra work/time involved in set-up, tear-down, adjustment, or field maintenance, I'm not interested. There's a certain weight penalty that is acceptable to me so I can enjoy more of the hike time or relax time, while still having easy, rapid, intuitive deployment and adjustability in foul weather. If you've ever had hypothermia in the backcountry, you know how important that can be.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Minifly/Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I kept my CRL attached to the tarp inside the snake skins for a while but now I prefer keeping it separate. It's just faster and easier to string it up when it's unweighted and clip my tarp onto the prusiks, especially if the distance between trees varies widely from one hang to the next. Easier to adjust the prusiks when there is nothing on them to center them before attaching the tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF with doors
    Insulation
    EE Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardino View Post
    I kept my CRL attached to the tarp inside the snake skins for a while but now I prefer keeping it separate. It's just faster and easier to string it up when it's unweighted and clip my tarp onto the prusiks, especially if the distance between trees varies widely from one hang to the next. Easier to adjust the prusiks when there is nothing on them to center them before attaching the tarp.
    That was why I questioned it. How often do you find you need to adjust the knots substantially to get it centered?
    Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    bonsihiker, I had one close call with hypothermia when xc skiing alone. When I drove back to town, my first stop was to buy a thermos. Now I never go out alone in the winter without a thermos of hot drink - like cocoa and coffee.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    That was why I questioned it. How often do you find you need to adjust the knots substantially to get it centered?
    I find I need to adjust the placement of the tarp almost every time. No two hangs I do are the same. Sometimes I'm wrapping the non-adjustable end of my ridgeline around a 5" tree, and sometimes it's an 18" tree. That definitely means I need to adjust where the tarp is on the line.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light &amp; waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    You sold me at this.
    Two things to consider. Intuitively one might think a mesh skin would dry faster. However, a tarp will not dry if crammed into any type of snake skin, period. A tarp is water proof and will not dry out unless it has ample air to evaporate the moisture into the air. That is to say you will need to dry the tarp outside of any kind of snake skin. Secondly, I'm thinking a mesh snake skin would be both more fragile and likely to snag than the other materials mentioned. A positive about CF is it is a slippery and tough material.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF with doors
    Insulation
    EE Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Two things to consider. Intuitively one might think a mesh skin would dry faster. However, a tarp will not dry if crammed into any type of snake skin, period. A tarp is water proof and will not dry out unless it has ample air to evaporate the moisture into the air. That is to say you will need to dry the tarp outside of any kind of snake skin. Secondly, I'm thinking a mesh snake skin would be both more fragile and likely to snag than the other materials mentioned. A positive about CF is it is a slippery and tough material.
    The downside with CF is it appears no one makes them anymore.
    Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Minifly/Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I find I need to adjust the placement of the tarp almost every time. No two hangs I do are the same. Sometimes I'm wrapping the non-adjustable end of my ridgeline around a 5" tree, and sometimes it's an 18" tree. That definitely means I need to adjust where the tarp is on the line.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    Exactly this. Both ends of my main ridgeline are adjustable with plastic toggles, but I still sometimes end up with widely varying tree dimensions and it's just easier to get the ridgeline up and move the prusiks as I need them without the tarp in the way.

Obviously to each their own, but this is the least frustrating path for me personally.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One clarification on a comment to my post. I thought I was clear that the tarp and skin are drying out separately. The tarp is not in the skin at that time, nor do I expect it to dry in the skin - it is blowing happily in the breeze. I may not take the mesh entirely off the line - it might be scrunched up loosely at the ends. But that's the advantage of mesh - there's enough airflow that it drys quickly.

The mesh skin is seldom, if at all, exposed to snaggy things. It comes out of the pack (or kayak hatch), held gently and lovingly in my arms as one suspension end is attached to a tree, then carried across the open area and suspended in the air as I attach the other end to a tree. The same care is taken when it is put back.

I can see the advantage of just connecting the ridgeline, separately, without the tarp. I didn't do that because my tarp is right next to the NAMA claws and it would be the same if I used prusiks. There is no place to scrunch up the skin. But, I can imagine having a longer connection loop to the claws or a longer loop coming off the prusiks so the snakeskin can slide up on that when the tarp is deployed. I wouldn't have to take the skin completely off the system, I could scrunch it back on the long prusik loop (or longer loop going from the tarp end to NAMA claws).

However, the advantage of position adjustment without the tarp attached may be minimal. I can see that one end of the tarp's current place (from a previous hang) must be slid closer to the center and the other end further away. So I just slide the "to-the-center" end to its good spot, then slide the other end away from the center till it's taut. Then slide off the skins. Easy-peasy.

If I found an ideal prusik line diameter to tarp ridgeline diameter I might reconsider. So far it seems the prusik loosens up too much when the tarp is not set up and bites too hard when I have to move it. In other words, there's a certain "fuss factor". On a warm sunny day, who cares! In freezing rain, wearing mittens/gloves, I'll go for sliding a piece of hardware.

I do like the idea of a separate line and will play with it a little bit. It is easier to attach just a line from one tree to the other and slide the connectors - prusik or other - to the desired spots, and then clip on the tarp and give a little tug to make it taut. Many ways to skin that skin.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12