Advice on next underquilt purchase?

Hi Hammock forums

Relatively inexperienced hammock camper here, from Aotearoa (New Zealand). I’m looking for some advice on underquilts.

My current setup is an Eno double with an Eno ember underquilt (not exactly a well-researched purchase). Looking to the future, I’d like to upgrade my underquilt to something that will keep me comfortable at around 5 degrees celsius (41 F) but I could push to 0 degrees celsius (32 F).

So after doing a lot of reading I’m thinking that the SLD Trail Winder may be the right choice for me. My plan is to go with these specs:
    5.0 oz insulation weight (rated to 30 F)
    Argon 90 fabric (because it’s lighter than the ion)
    9’ (current hammock is 9’ - but I’d like to upgrade to an 11’ in the future)
    Symmetrical design (I’m not sure what my preferred sleeping orientation is yet, and I’d like the extra comfort)

Is a 9’ UQ sufficient for a 11’ hammock? Does anyone have any knowledge regarding an Ember UQ compared to an SLD TW UQ? I’m guessing the SLD would pack down smaller, can anyone confirm this?

Given my purposes, will these specs suffice? I had a look at some really nice down UQs but considering that I’m going to be mostly camping in the North Island where it can be notoriously humid and wet, it seems like synthetic is the way to go. Any tips and/or advice would be much appreciated!

Its a real shame that hammock camping isn’t so big in NZ. Having gear shipped over from the US is expensive!

I'm glad you brought up the issue of shipping expense. It factors heavily in my suggestion. I think you should get that 11’ hammock at the same time. The combination of a Trail Lair and a Trail Winder would be really nice. Then you'll have exactly the proper UQ going forward. And I think you should get an UQ rated to 20 F. Biting the bullet and investing now saves a lot of money (shipping) in the long run.

Save the ENO for lounging.

BTW, I love NZ! Fond memories.
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-07-2022 at 05:24.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Agree with TominMN. Bite the bullet and save yourself some money in the long run. You will not be disappointed in any SLD gear. Love my hammock from them.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I have the 20° Trail Winder as my winter UQ. I spend my winter in similar temps (most lows in the 30°'s, but can get down to the 20°'s) and found I'm one that likes that 10° buffer.

I've used that UQ for about three months of the year, pretty much nightly and I live outdoors, for the last two winters and getting close to changing my UQs to that one again for this upcoming winter. Haven't had a single issue w/ it, or any of Jared's stuff, definitely quality.

And yes, mine is the 9' on an 11' hammock.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD
    Insulation
    mixed variety
    Suspension
    Jeep, 4 inch Lift
    I have a Trail Winder and it really fits well and seals up nice. I'm very happy with it. I have an 11' Trail Lair, but I don't remember what my quilt length is considered though. I probably ordered it for an 11".
    Mine is an older model, but the new ones have the modular options.
    So you could also go lighter on your main quilt and have an add on for even colder weather, more money but a really nice option.

I have a 20* 11ft trail lair with a 9ft trail winder… Just mentioning the length of the trail winder relates with your height to fit….my height at 5-6 easily has me insulated…. Pretty sure Jared has this info listed… l personally would have opted a symmetrical only these came about later.

You could check also with tier gear in Tassie whom make a tradition UQ not sure wether synthetic is an option tho… however shipping from Aus may be worth looking at.

All the best and enjoy the gear when it arrives mate!

Thanks for your reply. Tier gear is great! So much cool stuff on their site. Unfortunately they only do a down UQ which I've decided is probably not for me. It's a shame as I would've liked to support them. Cheers!

• + New Posts