Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I use a bridge hammock and like to have the suspension triangles covered by the tarp ..... 12' doesn't quite do it, 13' just covers enough and 14' is well covered. Luckily I DIY mine and have all 3 flavours. I require more tree separation for the bridge in the first place, so a modest change in tarp length isn't such a big deal for setup as it is in a GE.

If the only item on the table that changes is the ridge line length .... then you can do the math on how additional weight, area to be blown in the wind and extra bulk for packing is actually present ... and that number looks to be about 16% - 17%, not the end of the world I am thinking.

I would suggest that next time you setup up your hammock and tarp, mark out the extra 1' at each end and see what that does for your setup ... i.e. how much higher you need or does the tree spacing required really change all that much. Hands on testing sometimes brings issues into better focus and sometimes it shows issues aren't really so bad ....

Brian

I use tarps that are just under 13.5 and have only one time had to search for compatible trees to hang it and my WBRR hammock. But, all forests are different, so… Foe me the additional coverage overrides any other consideration.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

How about cutting it so the ridge is 11 ft or so (depending on the length of your hammock) but keeping the sides at 14 ft. A sort of inverse hex tarp.
    That way you could use the extra corner bits as doors in cold/windy weather.

Sent from my Power Armor 14 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    It's a superior gear shelter - I emailed Kyle at Superior Gear to see if its too late to change it.... I've not heard back yet.... I suffer from one addiction already (motorcycles) this hammock thing appears to be just as addictive......

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Do you mostly motorcycle camp? If so, then weight/bulk isn't as much of an issue as if you were carrying it on your back. And if you have a bridge hammock, you'll like that the extra length will cover the dogbones to the apex point. And if you use a bridge, the hang angle is usually shallower (more like 25°) than with a GE. This means, for a given distance, the hammock connection point to the tree can be lower than what you'd probably need for a GE. But even if you had a GE, if you are 6'+, you would have no problem reaching the usual connecting height for a 30° change angle.

You will have to find trees that are 14 ft+ apart - with no trees/bushes off to the side that would interfere with the tarp. But you'll have a dry "footprint" that would probably cover your motorcycle too.

The whole, "It depends" deal is not knowing particulars - like how tall you are (so you can reach the higher connection point suggested for a GE hammock), what kind of hammock you'll be using (a GE or bridge that doesn't need to be hung as high), if you are hiking with it or motor camping ... those types of details.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    You should look at the wide dutchware tarps instead of a longer one. You can get a ton of space with them and he has one built for 2.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/bo...rp-copy/#color

There is a video at the bottom you can watch

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Do you mostly motorcycle camp?

But even if you had a GE, if you are 6'+, you would have no problem reaching the usual connecting height for a 30° change angle.

You will have to find trees that are 14 ft+ apart - with no trees/bushes off to the side that would interfere with the tarp. But you'll have a dry "footprint" that would probably cover your motorcycle too.
    Thanks for the response -

6'3" here and yep mostly moto or car camping with a and ENO DN until my 11' comes from Superior- i need a new knee or 2 and a hip. Not really into Long distance backpacking... and I'm doing it where there are usually plenty of trees.... I keep hoping the state park system will support more hammock camping.....

I guess the only thing to worry about is getting a weather proof setup ... if bad weather is expected....

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Considering what you've told me, I highly recommend at least the Tensa Solo pole. My experience with formal campsites is they mostly leave trees between two sites - causing a territorial dispute if you want to use those trees for your hammock. With the Tensa Solo, you can attach to just one tree and bring the hammock inside your site area. In the Trips section, I posted an Around Orcas in Eight Days report showing my use of the Solo at two campsites and one beach where only one tree was available.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Adding here to what others have said.

I am sort of a fair weather camper. Like if the weather forecast looks miserable I’ll stay home. I don’t mind some rain. Just not constant.

I think about half of the times I have tarped up it is because of high wind, not rain. Here I think the extra height associated to a bigger tarp might end up being a serious detriment. You need it pulled down pretty tight for high wind.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A Hammock Forums member, I’ve forgotten his trail name-I think he is in France, has described how to get a longer ridgeline tarp to fit down close to hammock ridgeline.
    Instead of a flatline horizontal tarp ridgeline cord, he posted ridgeline can be looser and approximate the shape of hammock suspension.
    Then he pulls the side guylines down tight to the ground. This tightens the tarp a bit.

I imagine tarp to have a few wrinkles as it goes from being flat even with hammock ridgeline and then curving upwards at approximately same angle as hammock suspension.

I’ve used a 14x14 tarp in rain. It makes a large footprint. Sometimes I tried to make pretend doors
    And sometimes I left it high and dry
    I put a poncho over each end of hammock to help keep ends of hammock dry

Real doors are a big help staying dry in rain
    Not 100% Good enough and better than no doors

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12