Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF with doors
    Insulation
    EE Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and Beckett

Question Hanging clothes to dry in MN fall + another tarp question

I currently use two Dutchware StingerZ with 12' lines spliced onto them as my tarp (HG DCF with doors) ridge lines.

Two concerns with this approach that I would love some advice one:

1. This approach reduces the total potential span as the StingerZ approach requires double the line length to go tarp to tree and back to tarp, this seems "wasteful", is there a better approach, with or without the StingerZ, or should I just add longer lines?

2. Using two lines, one at each end, I end up with very little gear hanging space under the tarp to dry clothes etc., just the gap between hammock ends and tarp ends. Is the only answer a continuous ridge line?

If you have some advice I would appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The usual configuration for a CRL is over the tarp, so that isn't going to provide more gear hanging space under the tarp.

Perhaps carry an additional 30' of light cordage — separate from your hammock and tarp cordage/webbing — to run a few inches under the tarp for this purpose. Might even be able to position it a short distance from the hammock to keep wet gear from dampening quilts etc.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF with doors
    Insulation
    EE Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The usual configuration for a CRL is over the tarp, so that isn't going to provide more gear hanging space under the tarp.
    That's good to know. Thank you.
    Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrowhurst View Post
    I currently use two Dutchware StingerZ with 12' lines spliced onto them as my tarp (HG DCF with doors) ridge lines.

Two concerns with this approach that I would love some advice one:

1. This approach reduces the total potential span as the StingerZ approach requires double the line length to go tarp to tree and back to tarp, this seems "wasteful", is there a better approach, with or without the StingerZ, or should I just add longer lines?
    I guess one of the benefits of StingerZ is the ability to remove them from the fly and pack your lines separately. If you don't mind keeping the lines attached, and assuming you like the two line setup, Wasps use less line.

2. Using two lines, one at each end, I end up with very little gear hanging space under the tarp to dry clothes etc., just the gap between hammock ends and tarp ends. Is the only answer a continuous ridge line?

Thanks.
    Running a single line under the fly would obviously give you a sheltered clothesline but add the risk of rainwater running down said line and dripping on you. Some will argue that running a line under the fly can cause abrasion. I'm not buying that! Some run the single line under the fly in the winter to help with snow load.

I prefer a single line over the tarp but that's a whole separate discussion...

As far as a clothesline goes, I carry some cordage to string between trees away from the hammock. Of course, that's only useful if it's not raining.
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-05-2022 at 08:48.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF with doors
    Insulation
    EE Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and Beckett
    Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I prefer a single line over the tarp but that's a whole separate discussion...
    Okay, so can you point me to a discussion so I can make an educated decision on one v two lines. Cheers

Thanks for all the info.

Okay, so can you point me to a discussion so I can make an educated decision on one v two lines. Cheers
    Take a look at what's offered by both Dutch and Loop Alien, including the vids, for a start. That should help explain things a lot.

(RBTR also carries the Loop Alien / NAMA "CRL".)
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-05-2022 at 08:31.

I remember when the term CRL was (first?) used to describe a line that started at one end of the fly, around the tree, back through the ring at the fly, through the ring at the other end, around the second tree, and back to the fly where it was tensioned. It uses a LOT of llne but allows for centering the fly over the hammock before tensioning. Think of a clothesline on pulleys outside of an upper-floor apartment.

Today, single-line and CRL seem to be used interchangeably. The typical setup has the line fixed at one end and tensioned at the other and has moveable tensioners for the fly. Sometimes cordage (Prusik or similar) or hardware like NAMA claws.

Hope this "history" lesson helps a bit.
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-05-2022 at 09:06.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF with doors
    Insulation
    EE Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I remember when the term CRL was (first?) used to describe a line that started at one end of the fly, around the tree, back through the ring at the fly, through the ring at the other end, around the second tree, and back to the fly where it was tensioned. It uses a LOT of llne but allows for centering the fly over the hammock before tensioning. Think of a clothesline on pulleys outside of an upper-floor apartment.

Today, single-line and CRL seem to be used interchangeably. The typical setup is had the line tensioned at one end and has moveable tensioners for the fly. Sometimes cordage (Prusic or similar) or hardware like NAMA claws.

Hope this "history" lesson helps a bit.
    Thanks, it does. I can see how the single line system might make it easier to center the tarp and perhaps take some load off the tarp fabric. I do like the two line system as it appeals to the UL gram weenie within me.

Thanks, it does. I can see how the single line system might make it easier to center the tarp and perhaps take some load off the tarp fabric. I do like the two line system as it appeals to the UL gram weenie within me.
    Many experienced hangers will say that they have little or no trouble centering a fly with a two-line setup. It is definitely light. Knots are the very lightest, but I like many of the various bits of hardware that are available.

(I do like the reduced stress on the fly with the single line.)
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-05-2022 at 08:21.

...t appeals to the UL gram weenie within me.
    Cut the handle off your toothbrush or, better yet, use your finger!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast