Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions About Hanging Side-by-Side

When doing this, what's best? One sleeping left, the other right, both the same, or doesn't it matter? (I understand the suspension set-up with the spreader bar and coming off opposite sides of the head-end-tree with the straps.)

Obviously, if two asym hammock have the same orientation, there's no option. But what about when they're different or one or both are symmetrical? Heads in or heads out?
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-04-2022 at 09:31.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    We do this fairly often and it varies hang to hang. We don't use spreader bars, tried that and didn't like it at all.
    Sometimes we use three trees (or two trees and a pole. By now it should be known that I like my "one tree" setups) and sometimes it's just opposite sides of the same trees. At that point we decided our lay positions based on whether we're really close and need to lay both in the same lay or if we have more room at one end then the other and want our heads closer or need more space.
    I would say in this situation being comfortable laying either direction is a plus.

Sent w/o me knowing

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'd skip the spreader bar and just go on opposite sides of the tree. Admittedly, that takes a wider tree. But with the pole connection, one person's movement is transferred to the other hammock. If one person is soundly sleeping, and the other has to get up at night, in the words of that great philosopher, RoboCop, "There will be ... trouble."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Before I switched to a TQ I used to occasionally have a pitched battle with my sleeping bag. On one event my partner and I were ‘sharing’ a tress on one end. She had a ‘rough night at sea’ as the tree was not big enough to not be shifted when I moved (though they were the only three trees about). So I would definitely agree that being tied together with a spreader bar will likely only end well if you are both very still, sound sleepers.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to hang directly by someone else? Just reassurance?

thoigh I would agree that is you can find big enough trees this would be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post

Out of curiosity, why do you want to hang directly by someone else? Just reassurance?

It would be a couple thing. And I've been looking at Dutch's setup with the shared net and a single big rainfly.

I'm getting the impression that it just might not be the best idea... Maybe to much togetherness!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    It would be a couple thing. And I've been looking at Dutch's setup with the shared net and a single big rainfly.

I'm getting the impression that it just might not be the best idea... Maybe to much togetherness!
    Guess that depends on how you sleep together in other situations. We have no trouble being right against the other.
    Our only real issue is that she's a big time (like always) bug net user, I only use it if needed.
    Because of that I've been looking at that double nest net as well, at least then we'd be under the same net.
    I'm not convinced about the doubles tarp though. It looks like it would "lake" a little too easy. We have shared a basic 12' w/ doors many times and I do have to be careful to keep it high enough above our ridgelines to not do that in heavy rains. I wouldn't mind a wider one for that. I also think a side by side hang under one tarp, especially when using three trees, would benefit from a custom door addition at one end in bad weather.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hey LowTech - consider the HUG net from ArrowHead. It attaches to a hammock ridgeline to lift it off the person's head. It has a head area, then extends down mid-torso, lying on top of the TQ. There is also a bungee that can go under the Hammock to further anchor the net - but easily moveable when desired.

It idea is, you are already covered below by your UQ and/or UQP or DL hammock. You are covered on top by your TQ. So you just need something to keep the critters off your face.

The HUG is light and packs small - about the size of an orange.

Now - if the person is concerned that crawly things might make their way into the hammock, they may want full zippered, end-to-end, coverage. But if you just want the keep the buzzy sounds away from your face/ears and have peace of mind that you won't become a midnight snack, the HUG will do that for you.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-05-2022 at 13:39.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Guess that depends on how you sleep together in other situations. We have no trouble being right against the other.
    Our only real issue is that she's a big time (like always) bug net user, I only use it if needed.

"
    So you are saying you basically cuddle but in two different hammock. FWIW in bed we basically always spoon and flip like a badly choreographed synchronized swim. I had never thought we could sleep like that in hammocks. And I have always believed that two people in one hammock is a bad idea. Like a worse version of a bad saggy mattress.

Two adjoining hammocks is interesting but it seems like it would be a definite complexity adder on setup to get two hammocks to end up at the same height when loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    Two adjoining hammocks is interesting but it seems like it would be a definite complexity adder on setup to get two hammocks to end up at the same height when loaded.

I'm sensing that you won't be fiddling with this concept.
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-05-2022 at 06:05.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I'm sensing that you won't be fiddling with this concept.
    Odds are low. Especially as my partner now uses a ridgerunner and I am in an XLC.

Though even if they were both gathered ends, it does not seem like it would be particularly comforting. Like our arms are generally intertwined as well in some fashion. It would seem like it would more like butt cheeks touching than real snuggling.

Ten years and we both appear to still like each other . The main downside of the hammock is that when we are out together we don’t get to sleep together. That is a major positive of a tent. Though neither of us are particularly young and we are both tired of sleeping on the ground. And we find ways to be close. Unfortunately just not while we are sleeping at night.

DA06A306-BC23-4AE7-8DE0-51ACF01CF60C.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast