Blackbird xlc and loco libre quilt?

Contemplating buying a blackbirds xlc. I have a Dream hammock with a LL undetquilt. Rather not buy new quilts. Will the LL quilt work ok? Love my dream hammock but miss the shelf in my regular Blackbird.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have used my LL Habanaro UQ on my XLC and was down to sub0º temps.
    You will be good to go. Like any UQ, just make sure it is set up properly.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have used my LL Habanaro UQ on my XLC and was down to sub0º temps.
    You will be good to go. Like any UQ, just make sure it is set up properly.
    Shug
    Much appreciated!. I didn't expect the legend himself to reply! Funnily enough, looking at this setup for a Linville Gorge trip!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Warbonnet BB XLC is the way to go!

I live beside the gorge and own the same set (plus a wookie and HG incubator). It works just fine. Just gotta cheat the entire quilt towards the head end of hammock. I also use short pieces of shock cord to attach quilt to or up and over ridgeline if chilly. Camped on Shortoff just this past weekend w 30 mph winds.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thats my XLC with a 0F Loco Libre Habanero I believe. Kept me nice and toasty!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    sideshowraheem, love the camo on that tarp. What is it?

Fulkrum78, unless it's made custom for the hammock - like the Wookie for the BlackBird and XLC - the UQ is generic - it will work on most GE's and some bridges. It's like this, if you are a UQ vendor, you can't keep an inventory of different UQ's for each hammock, or hammocks from Vendor A, B, C. And you don't have to. Because you are just hooking it up to the end of the hammock and adjusting shock-cord for best fit. It helps if you can have someone in the hammock when you set it up so you can see how it fits. I usually don't have someone there and I'm often switching hammocks and UQ's. So I also use an under quilt protector (UQP) because it allows for a little sloppiness in setup.

Note one of Shug's videos where he recommends the main suspension be tight enough to lift the hammock when no one is in it. If the UQ is made with a differential cut (ask if you don't see that in the product description) then you won't over compress the down because the bottom of the UQ is cut fuller than the top. That way you can snug the top of the UQ up against the bottom of the hammock and the down/loft, will hang in the fuller cut below.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's a Warbonnet Superfly in their winter bushwack camo. It blends in super well during the winter! Love that tarp. Thinking of sending it back to them to get a pole mod installed for it or trying to do it DIY.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Then I'm guessing the hammock UQ is "Rave" bushwack camo?

The Pole Mod is just a piece of polyester strap making a loop. The key is where it is placed on the tarp body. If you buy a SuperFly with the pole Mod, that's the one part (actually 4 parts - 2 per side) you have to seam seal. Some people also seam seal the SF ridgeline but I believe the panel pulls are the only "official" area that needs seam sealing.

Some people attach the poles with a fixed-size loop, others use a loop of shock cord, a mini-adjustable line, or a combination of both. I've tied out the panel pulls a few times but if I don't have a bush or tree to use, guying puts too many "trip" lines on the ground for me. So mostly, if I use them at all, I connect to a pole positioned over the tarp ridgeline.

It makes the tarp roomier, but if I was honest (which I try to be), it hardly makes a difference. Because I don't "hang out" in my hammock. I go in at night, curl up and sleep. In the morning, as soon as I'm up, I'm out of the hammock. So I'm not lingering to enjoy the extra space ambiance. I'm sure it would be different if I had to hang out in a rainstorm. But I usually have the tarp in some sort of Porch Mode - even with pouring rain (directing the runoff).

Finally, I reach the point my mind was leading me towards. If you rig your tarp up in porch mode, you probably won't need to bother with pole mods.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts