Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
One UL mantra is, "You pack your fears." For me, it's more, "You pack your experience." Even thru-hikers usually have a Hike Out option and many people on the same trail. When you are kayaking outside of cell phone range, there might be no, nearby store, nearby kayakers, or nearby exit points. The gear has to be robust and having a backup for something critical (i.e. two BIC lighters - and a sparker) is not unreasonable. I count the number of stakes I'll need, if everything were staked out, then add a couple more in case one is forgotten or damaged beyond use. Of course, rocks and cut stakes would work. But I try not to assume "nature" will provide what I need. I'm not an LNT purest, but I try for minimal disturbance.
Having been on a few canoe trips to Algonquin and some other Crown Land waterways in Ontario, there were a few times when I wish I had been a little more UL, all of them relating to some really nasty portages. Longest I've ever done — and I know it's far from the longest... the EGL folks have done far longer — was something like 1.8km (x4!) with a few muddy hills and steep, rocky/rooty banks thrown in for good measure. And do not be fooled, those kevlar Scott rental canoes are no lighter than the plastic ones, or at least not by much. I was lusting after my friends' 42lb Wenonah every minute, and since that time have wondered how cool it would be to carry much lighter kit and paddle in something like a solo Voyager... ahh.