Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I prefer to hang my gathered end hammock directly from tree straps but, "just in case" the tress are not ideally spaced, I carry whoopie slings and a structural ridgeline.

I carry enough MSR Mini-Groundhog stakes for tarp and doors on a Superfly but, "just in case" I am hanging over soft duff I also carry 4 REI snow stakes.

My Dutch clips and toggles are always with my tree straps but, "just in case" I also carry a couple of dyneema soft shackles and a couple carabiners.

Happily my "just in case" gear has been much reduced over several years.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    My "just in case" extras are sorely lacking...heh. I have one Evo loop I made and maybe a couple extra stakes. Used to have some extra line but it got lost along with one set of stakes.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Not tarp related, but I carry 2 extra continuous loops. I had one fail and drop me at home and I've been super cautious since.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One UL mantra is, "You pack your fears." For me, it's more, "You pack your experience." Even thru-hikers usually have a Hike Out option and many people on the same trail. When you are kayaking outside of cell phone range, there might be no, nearby store, nearby kayakers, or nearby exit points. The gear has to be robust and having a backup for something critical (i.e. two BIC lighters - and a sparker) is not unreasonable. I count the number of stakes I'll need, if everything were staked out, then add a couple more in case one is forgotten or damaged beyond use. Of course, rocks and cut stakes would work. But I try not to assume "nature" will provide what I need. I'm not an LNT purest, but I try for minimal disturbance.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I just set up the HG Journey recently. On the first trip I took:
    6 stakes.
    6 tie outs. 4 for main tarp. 2 for the center tie outs.

In one setup, I used all the stakes.
    I used at most 3 of the tie outs. They weren't needed for the main tarp ends because I had a loop of shock cord on the beastee d-rings. So just staked directly to the shock cord.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    I carry 6 stakes. One of these is a Snow Stake which functions as a poop scoop and backup spoon should the need arise.
    Hopefully not at the same time!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    One UL mantra is, "You pack your fears." For me, it's more, "You pack your experience." Even thru-hikers usually have a Hike Out option and many people on the same trail. When you are kayaking outside of cell phone range, there might be no, nearby store, nearby kayakers, or nearby exit points. The gear has to be robust and having a backup for something critical (i.e. two BIC lighters - and a sparker) is not unreasonable. I count the number of stakes I'll need, if everything were staked out, then add a couple more in case one is forgotten or damaged beyond use. Of course, rocks and cut stakes would work. But I try not to assume "nature" will provide what I need. I'm not an LNT purest, but I try for minimal disturbance.
    You mean all I had to do to stop counting grams was buy a kayak!!!!
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    You mean all I had to do to stop counting grams was buy a kayak!!!!
    Or a motorcycle!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Rolloff, I was going to suggest getting a two-wheel cart for your potential kayak.

The cart will make it easier to get the kayak up the trail. The only problem is Wilderness areas. They don't allow wheeled "vehicles" - even if you are the vehicle engine pulling it. The "one arm in the cockpit right at the balance point" carry can work - you'll only have about a 50 lb. penalty for the Kayak "backpack". Better - pay attention if you want an "I'll be able to retire with this." idea - is to put some padding in a hat (to keep it in place on your head) and carry the kayak with three points of contact; the top of your head and your arms on each side. The padding is necessary because the top of your head and the bottom of the kayak are seldom flat. It doesn't take much - something like a folded washcloth would work.

My current idea - for an "in the house on cold days" project - is to make something like an 8-inch dogbone and put a shorter length of bungee through the weave by the end loops, tying a stopper know in the bungee so it doesn't pull out of the weave - especially when the dogbone is under tension. I'll larkshead the dogbone loop to the tarp's edge D-ring and use a line-loc to connect a longer guyline from the dogbone's other end to the stake. That makes the lines (dogbones) permanently on the tarp less fussy. The bungee gives me a little spring and the 1.75 or 2mm dogbone limits the bungee stretch.

The longer, more tangle-prone guylines will have a line-loc on them and a loop already tied at one end to go around the stake. They will have their own (Ziploc) bag - easy to move from tarp to tarp.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-15-2022 at 13:20.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    Hopefully not at the same time!
    Lol, in a pinch you do what you've gotta.

On a rare winter trip to Katahdin more than 20 years ago I used my snow shovel as a plate in order to partake of a thick, delicious stew that a friend had made from sheep shank and some vegetables. It was delicious.

Shovel_grub.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast