First Harriman Overnight Ideas

After months of waiting for my kit to come together I’m ready to add an overnight to my hikes through Harriman State Park. Did a reconnaissance trip through Bald Rocks last week and found the area to busy for my tastes.

Id appreciate any insights from the strong NY/NJ crew here of a trip idea. Thought I’d head out around 3 on Friday few miles to shelter, sat morning do a 8+ mile loop that includes views back to parking. Would love ideas of shelters areas that are hammock friendly.

Appreciate your help.

kit ready to go, practicing in back yard.

B7D80831-9C2C-45E7-9475-FC615BD833ED.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not much of a Harriman fan myself, but cmoulder is. Contact him for recommendations!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I do like that’s it’s a quick 40min away, and next year hope to get up to the Adirondacks I love or possibly the Catskills. What’s the area you like most?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm from the Jersey Shore, so the closest place for me to get wilderness camping is the Pine Barrens (Wharton State Forest). For car camping, Batona Campground is awesome. They have a water pump that works well till you get below 0* F (for several days). Another favorite is the Mullica River campground - either a four-mile hike or a a six-mile hike depending on which way you go (also has a water pump). Finally, Lower Forge is pretty nice, but can't handle much more than 18 or so hammock campers (just not enough trees).

We have a group hang coming up at Batona Campground November 4-6, 2022. Great way to meet up with fellow hammockers. There's usually even some northern NJ people there!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-Nov-4-6-2022

We have almost the entire campsite reserved, so if you wanna come, there will be room for you - no campsite reservation required (though you will be expected to pitch in on campsite fees, which are nominal). Plenty of hiking around there.

There are also folks who hammock camp the day after Thanksgiving - usually at Batona but we've had it at other Pine Barrens campgrounds on occasion.

And then there's the NJ Winter Hang, usually held at Batona (it's a great site for car camping and you can hike all around the area). I've experienced -3* F nights at Batona, as well as a 0* F with -25 wind chill. Cold nights indeed.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-27-2022 at 22:57.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Peaks View Post
    After months of waiting for my kit to come together I’m ready to add an overnight to my hikes through Harriman State Park. Did a reconnaissance trip through Bald Rocks last week and found the area to busy for my tastes.

Id appreciate any insights from the strong NY/NJ crew here of a trip idea. Thought I’d head out around 3 on Friday few miles to shelter, sat morning do a 8+ mile loop that includes views back to parking. Would love ideas of shelters areas that are hammock friendly.

Appreciate your help.

kit ready to go, practicing in back yard.

B7D80831-9C2C-45E7-9475-FC615BD833ED.jpg
    As SilvrSurfr said, I'm a Harriman regular, mainly because I live about 25 minutes away and it's so darn handy.

There is a thread on HF, Sub 24 Overnight Harriman, that has a bunch of info about trips such as this.

A couple of 'staples' that might fit the bill for you:

1) Park at Silvermine Lake and from there you have the option of taking the Menomine (yellow) trail to Brien Shelter which is about 1.4mi, or if you want to go farther you can hang a left at Brien Shelter and take the AT to Black Mountain, camp (no shelter) at N41.2842, W74.0417 (USNG 18T WL 80291 70741, WGS84 datum). In the morning, follow AT to the junction of 1779 trail, follow 1779 north (thru traffic circle) to Popolopen Gorge trail (red) and go past Turkey Hill lake, up the hill to Long Path (teal green blazes) and go south to Stockbridge shelter. Just past Stockbridge, make a left on Menomine (yellow) back to Silvermine Lake.

2) Park at Skannatati and take the Long Path (teal green) to Big Hill (about 3.5mi) and camp in the vicinity of the shelter. This shelter can get busy but there's plenty of room to spread out. Next morning take the Long Path back toward Skannatati but make a right on the Beech Trail (blue), continuing past the waterfall at Tiorati Brook Road, then make a left on Red Cross trail (red), following it back toward Askoti, across Seven Lakes Drive, up the hill to Arden-Surebridge (also red... triangle IIRC) back to the parking lot.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

You guys are the best, it’s amazing the wealth of knowledge on this forum, hope to give back soon.

CMoulder looks your first route is right on target, and thank you for the site suggestion.

silver I might have to up my gear to hang out at -3 but I’ll set the goal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It has been crazy since the pandemic and being so close to NYC. You will find it will wind down once the leaves are all down and Perkins Drive is closed for the season.

• + New Posts