Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    As usual, it's location-location-location ... Many times those same rocks can be used as stakes so if you forget them there are options.

Attachment 189411
    I love the photo! This is a great idea and I use this same stick & rock trick all the time. A lot of the places that I go backpacking in Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, and (particularly) Pennsylvania are really rocky, so I'll often save weight by not taking stakes at all.

I usually try to find flatter rocks though when I can. There have been several instances when I used a roundish rock like the one depicted (even a really heavy one) that just rolled right over the stick when a good gust of wind caused the tarp to suddenly jerk the guy line. Actually ... and don't ask me to explain the physics ... but I think the stick was actually pulled under the rock while the rock rolled over the top of it, sort of like the string pulling under a yo-yo. A heavy flatter rock and a fatter stick can help minimize that issue.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    I love the photo! This is a great idea and I use this same stick & rock trick all the time. A lot of the places that I go backpacking in Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, and (particularly) Pennsylvania are really rocky, so I'll often save weight by not taking stakes at all.

I usually try to find flatter rocks though when I can. There have been several instances when I used a roundish rock like the one depicted (even a really heavy one) that just rolled right over the stick when a good gust of wind caused the tarp to suddenly jerk the guy line. Actually ... and don't ask me to explain the physics ... but I think the stick was actually pulled under the rock while the rock rolled over the top of it, sort of like the string pulling under a yo-yo. A heavy flatter rock and a fatter stick can help minimize that issue.
    Indeed, use what Nature deposited for us!

Yep, sometimes you've gotta stack 'em...

sick_rock_stake_02.jpg

And then there's the chock method... pitched in Baxter State Park where strict adherence to the rules — which is not optional! — meant a less than ideal hang location that required some other strategies.... thou shalt not tie off to plants or roots, Commandment #74.2(b)

guyline_rock_chock.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-29-2022 at 06:21.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Indeed, use what Nature deposited for us!
    Amen! ... Ain't that the truth!! Sometimes you just need to make do with what you have. 'Ideal' is never the norm and 'Necessity' really is the mother of invention.
    I'm a big proponent of the adage: "If it works, it ain't wrong."
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Amen! ... Ain't that the truth!! Sometimes you just need to make do with what you have. 'Ideal' is never the norm and 'Necessity' really is the mother of invention.
    I'm a big proponent of the adage: "If it works, it ain't wrong."
    That and my last words will probably be something like, "Well that didn't work out right"
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    That and my last words will probably be something like, "Well that didn't work out right"
    Or "Hold my beer while I try this..."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Fast forward to 1:20.

At least I know I'll die under my own stupid actions, doing something fun. I cut it short, but on the full video I say "lets do it again". I did...and I lost.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    At least I know I'll die under my own stupid actions, doing something fun. I cut it short, but on the full video I say "lets do it again". I did...and I lost.
    Lol just had to have another go at it! That is an impressive x-ray.

I've had a broken coccyx, twice, glissading over rock hidden under snow. Nothing the doc can do for it... just hurts like a sumbeech for a few weeks, but it improves posture — slumping in a chair is very painful, and sitting straight up relieves it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Lol just had to have another go at it! That is an impressive x-ray.

I've had a broken coccyx, twice, glissading over rock hidden under snow. Nothing the doc can do for it... just hurts like a sumbeech for a few weeks, but it improves posture — slumping in a chair is very painful, and sitting straight up relieves it.
    I've done this a couple times myself. does improve posture.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12