Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chameleon Bugnet Options

At some point, I expect I might add a Chameleon to the mix. The main question will be "Which bugnet?" Obviously, it can be swapped out and I might even opt for more than one. Therein lies one of my questions. It would seem that, all other things being equal, the edge of a symmetrical bugnet must be longer than that of an asym(?) Obviously the symmetrical bugnet zipper-half needs to be the same length as the half on the hammock body. How does that bugnet mate up with the hammock body?
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-27-2022 at 13:53.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have a symmetrical...I got it because I flip flop around from head left to head right. Basically, the asym is shaped like a parallelogram vs the symmetrical is more like an elongated hex. The asym gives you that wall of fabric on one side of the head end where the symmetrical is just net.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsrT0CbsfAs

I've seen that vid a few times and I understand the shape difference. It just looks like the circumference of the symmetrical is larger... I guess it must be those "tails" on the ends of the asym that account for the edge needed to accommodate the same zipper length (?)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I've seen that vid a few times and I understand the shape difference. It just looks like the circumference of the symmetrical is larger... I guess it must be those "tails" on the ends of the asym that account for the edge needed to accommodate the same zipper length (?)
    Looking at this and other comments re asym vs symmetrical got me doubting the interchangeability, so I googled a bit and found Dutch's video on this.

Still hard to believe they use the same zippers, but there it is!

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Looking at this and other comments re asym vs symmetrical got me doubting the interchangeability, so I googled a bit and found Dutch's video on this.

Still hard to believe they use the same zippers, but there it is!
    Look at those "tails" on the asym. I'm thinking that is the answer to be able to use the same zipper half. But that also indicates that the asym "bulges" are set in a bit further from the ends as compared to the symmetrical one. It also means that the "ridgeline length" is longer and the asym will be looser on the SRL, assuming the "bulges" are the same width. OR, the asym bulges are a bit more pronounced.

Am I "reading" that correctly?
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-30-2022 at 04:57.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Look at those "tails" on the asym. I'm thinking that is the answer to be able to use the same zipper half. But that also indicates that the asym "bulges" are set in a bit further from the ends as compared to the symmetrical one. It also means that the "ridgeline length" is longer and the asym will be looser on the SRL, assuming the "bulges" are the same width.

Am I "reading" that correctly?
    Lol I really don't know... they don't *appear* to be interchangeable. There must be elves involved.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Lol I really don't know... they don't *appear* to be interchangeable. There must be elves involved.
    Glad I'm not the only one who is perplexed.

No mention of the asym bugnet coming with a zipper stretcher...
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-30-2022 at 04:54.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, its definitely larger...pretty sure the zipper is longer for the symmetrical. There is some floppiness with the bugnet, but I don't find it too bad. When I lay in either diagonal, the material tends to tighten up and stay outta the way. I don't use the pullouts because they just end up being a tripping hazard, plus more stuff to deal with.

What's your concern with the bugnet? It zips on in the same way (I assume) as the asym...from the ends of the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Yeah, its definitely larger...pretty sure the zipper is longer for the symmetrical. ...

What's your concern with the bugnet? It zips on in the same way (I assume) as the asym...from the ends of the hammock.
    Mostly just curiosity in how all of the Chameleon options work. Wondering if the wide part of the symmetrical was actually as wide as the asym. That width determines your lay angle to some extent.

All of my previously purchased netted hammocks have been asym. IF I do opt for the Chameleon, I think I want to try the symmetrical option. Just want to understand if this is THE symmetrical hammock I want to invest in. I also understand that switching it to asym would be a fairly inexpensive option. But that would leave me with a redundant hammock.

The zipper half on the bugnet can't be longer than the zipper half on the hammock because the sliders then couldn't meet properly in the middle...
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-27-2022 at 13:09.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Dutch has a brand new spreader bar type bug net. Might be worth looking into? Looks pretty cool IMO.

https://youtu.be/Lw1qFKzOR8Q

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast