Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6ft5 bad back need new Hammock 4 Hawaii Backpacking Trip

Wanting advice on a comfortable hammock for a 6'5" tall thin guy. REI has their 20% off sale until April 18th and they carry the Hennessey, ENO and Byer brands so I'm thinking about one of those. It looks like Hennessey makes some extra long hammocks for tall people and I've been uncomfortable in the standard gathered end parachute type hammock in the past.

Last year my friends and I bought some Byer Traveller (cheap simple parachute type) hammocks for a roadtrip across Europe and I wound up trying it one night and then just sleeping in the car the rest of the trip. I really like the idea of hammock camping and think that I need to find a bigger hammock with more room for my long body.
    In just 13 days I'm going to be traveling to Hawaii to hike the Napali Coast so I will need a bug net and rain tarp.

Ideally I'd like to find a hammock this week and I'm looking at the Hennessey ones since I can use my 20% off coupon and pick one up through REI easily. I live in Seattle and unfortunately even the flagship REI store does not allow the hammocks to be set up so I have no way of testing any of them. They assure me I can return one if it is uncomfortable but I'm wanting to know from the seasoned veterans of the hammock camping world, what they might recommend that would be likely to be most comfortable for my tall stature and bad neck and back

Since this will be in the lush Kalalau Valley, it will be VERY humid yet warm and likely rainy and with bugs. Weight is not as big of a concern as comfort. Even though I won't need an underquilt I think a foam pad beneath me might be nice to keep the sides away from squishing my shoulders together like was happening in the Byer Traveller.

I'm excited to be a part of the forum now and look forward to your responses! I've checked out some of Shug's videos and also Professor Hammock's and it looks like a good group of folks here!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Eno double will work good for you.
    Of course, the Warbonnet Blackbird is the cadillac of hammocks.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 6' 5" tall and find the Warbonnet Blackbird to work very well for me. It's comfortable and has the bug net you'll want. Even with the discount you can get at REI, if it were my decision, I'd still go with the Blackbird. It isn't cheap, but I believe it's worth every penny to have something that works as well as it does.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    6'2" with fused cervical at c5-c6 and blown L3, and the BlackBird double gives me the best night sleep. My Speer is a good choice but a bit fussier to set up (but man when it is right it's lights out). My Hennessey Exped is choice #3, and my Bear Mountain Bridge is still a work in progress to figure out the best hang for me.

In short, I agree with gargoyle - the BB is a winner hands down.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    IMHO if you're over 6' you won't be comfortable in a Speer or Hennessy Expedition. With Hennessey, the Explorer line would be fine.

I use Hennessys, but in this case I'd second the recommendation of the Warbonnet Blackbird. I love the Hennessey with the zipper mod, but you don't have time to get that done.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

What exactly is it that makes the Warbonnet blackbird so great? I've watched Shug's videos and read through many a posting where people praise the Blackbird very highly so I'm definitely interested but what is it that makes it so comfortable for tall people?

What about bridge style hammocks? They look like they could offer a very flat position as well.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EVguy View Post
    What exactly is it that makes the Warbonnet blackbird so great? I've watched Shug's videos and read through many a posting where people praise the Blackbird very highly so I'm definitely interested but what is it that makes it so comfortable for tall people?

What about bridge style hammocks? They look like they could offer a very flat position as well.
    I'll catch flack for this but I'm not convinced the Blackbird is that much more comfortable. The end whipping has a big affect on how a hammock lays. I've made multiple DIY hammocks using the Blackbird style whipping but don't really find them to be any more comfortable than my HH Explorer. Still I recommend the Blackbird for you since I think you'll find the zippered side entry to be more convenient than the HH bottom slit. By the way I'm 6'2".

Never used a bridge.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i had a HH expedition ..it was ok...was not a bad hammock...but i must say my Fav hammock so far is my Warbonnet Traveler
    feels way better then my HH ever did....and if you have back problems
    top loader is the way to go....i have lots of back problems and i had a hard time getting in and out of the bottom entry on the HH...that and it gets old
    so if you do get an HH get the 2QZQ Zipper mod...it's the best thing to ever happen to a HH

bit if it was me...i would get a Blackbird they have alot more room then the HH
    and the foot box is really nice....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl & Clark NA for winter
    Tarp
    Custom made for me
    Insulation
    Te-Wa UQ, SPE
    Suspension
    whoopie or cinch
    I'm a curvy chick. VERY curvy. only 5'10. Bad soft tissue damaged in the lower back (due to quad accident). The point. My husbands HH explorer deluxe is TOO big for me. There is more nylon fabric that go up the sides when I'm in it. He does have the zipper mod on the side and loves it. He is 6' and 195 and has plenty of room and does not mind the extra fabric for privacy etc.

I love my Double Layer 1.7 WBBB. Just the right amount of fabric on the sides (with my larger hips) where I can peek out through the netting and check out what is making noise outside my hammock. There is also a bunch of room above my head and below into the footbox so I'm sure you will fit nicely.

The HH is way more roomy inside than my bird due to the excess fabric. But I feel more balanced out in my bird, between room along the sides, flatter lay (no cold feet, good circulation), and still being able to look out the netting.

p.s. The shelf is nice too for light weight stuff like beanie, JRB sleeves, extra gloves etc.

I am not sore or "old lady" like in the morning after being in my bird. Better than my bed at home! I wish I could hang in my bedroom, my back would love that.
    Last edited by Skittles; 04-13-2010 at 16:07. Reason: typo
    It's not the pace....it's the experience.

SKITTLES

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Of the hammocks you listed, I think the ENO double would work the best. I'm short so can't tell you if a WBBB is right for you, but it sure is comfortable. The biggest problem with the ENO is you'll need a bug net and the ENO bugnet is a bit heavy at 16 oz. The WB bugnet is 7.5 oz and works better, at least for me in my WB traveler (yes, I have too many hammocks).

If you go with the ENO double, try to measure it's length before you buy. In another thread, some doubles apparently came up a bit shorter than specified. From what I could see, sometimes the factory will label a single as a double.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast