Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks

WB wookie uq fitment

Using my 0F wookie UQ for the first time out in the field this weekend after a quick test setup in the back yard and added my own adjustable shock cord loop on one end. Last night it got down to 32F and it performed like a champ for the most part, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get it to cup on the sides a little better to prevent drafty spots. Tightening it doesn’t seem to help. The only thing I can think of is that my hang needs to be loosened to droop more but I’m at the recommended 30 degrees if that hand gun thing is to be believed. I don’t have enough clearance under my to loosen my hang as I’m not really tall enough to raise my tree attachment points. What’s a guy to do?

Thanks

Not sure why you felt you needed to add shock cord(?) The rubber band should provide the proper tension when using it on that BB. Are you using the mid-point tie? That can help some. All that said, I think a bit of slack along the edge is pretty normal; It just shouldn't be excessive. And, of course, it's more pronounced when the hammock is empty.

I don't think increasing your hang angle will accomplish anything positive. The SRL and net will sag, and you'll probably be less comfortable besides!
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-24-2022 at 19:35.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Of Wolf and Man, there was an earlier thread where someone was concerned about the apparent looseness of the fabric on the sides of the Wookie. I've been using mine (w/BB), outside, almost every night with no cold spots. As per instructions, I have the CL loop at the head around the hammock's head knob and the elastic at the foot end mini-binered to the hammock's CL at that end.

The only adjustment I've occasionally needed to make is, after I get in the hammock, to gently (I have the very light fabric custom option) pull on that side fabric to scoot the UQ a little more under me as it occasionally gets shoved a little to the far side. My TQ is tucked in around me and I'm as snug as a bug in a hammock.

Because our night temps have dropped a bit, and more for light abatement because of proximity to neighbor's windows and street lighting, I'm using a sock. So in the morning, I get up, put my sleeping cap in the peak bag, zip up the sock, unhook the two daisy chain loops from their suspension hooks, and carry the whole shebang inside like Santa with a bag over his shoulder. In the evening, I just rehook the two daisy chains and I'm good to go. But all that moving around can cause the Wookie to be off-center a bit. So sometimes it needs adjustment - just by sliding it over.

Some of my larger "universal" UQ's do come up on the sides. But the Wookie is designed to save bulk/weight and still do its job. So it will not "be" like your other UQ experiences. For example, I've learned to ignore what seems to be loose fabric along the edge because the UQ's performance - the part that matters - has been just fine.

You said your Wookie worked like a champ - so go with that. Don't worry that it doesn't "fit" like your other UQ's. It's not supposed to. The hammock body itself provides the "cup" and the TQ tucks into the hammock body sides.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I concur with the others, don't use your own shock cord suspension, just use the included elastic band with the mini-carabiner (unless you are using the Wooki on a non-Warbonnet hammock).

I tied a little knot in the side fabric near the foot end on my Wooki to try and tighten the side up a little. It did tighten the side up, but I took the knot out because it didn't change anything as far as the Wooki performs, and I didn't want to possibly damage the UQ.

Like cougermeat said, I have to just tug on the Wooki a little bit every once in a while after I get in the hammock, just to get it where I want it. That's usually my fault though because I am laying in the hammock a little wonky or something.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks
    Thanks guys,

Like cougarmeat said, I didn’t feel any cold spots and that’s what matters most. I played around with my hang last night and came to the conclusion that it looks worse when I’m not in the hammock but sort of works itself out once inside (although it feels a little loose on the sides) but that could be by design so it isn’t under too much stress when in a sitting position.

The reason I threw a shock cord loop on one end is because without it, it felt wayyy to tight between the hammock and the UQ. I couldn’t even slip a flat hand between when laying in it. I didn’t want to tear the UQ so I added the shock cord and it holds up snug against the bottom of the hammock (except for the ends, hence this post) but with some elasticity. Perhaps I’m not understanding that black rubber band thing. It came wadded up in a ball with the biner sticking off of it. Am I supposed to unravel it and make a larks head around one end attached to the Wookie or something? Wadded up in the ball it seems to make it too tight of a fit and with no stretch (hence the shock cord I added).

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Of Wolf and Man View Post
    Thanks guys,

The reason I threw a shock cord loop on one end is because without it, it felt wayyy to tight between the hammock and the UQ. I couldn’t even slip a flat hand between when laying in it. I didn’t want to tear the UQ so I added the shock cord and it holds up snug against the bottom of the hammock (except for the ends, hence this post) but with some elasticity. Perhaps I’m not understanding that black rubber band thing. It came wadded up in a ball with the biner sticking off of it. Am I supposed to unravel it and make a larks head around one end attached to the Wookie or something? Wadded up in the ball it seems to make it too tight of a fit and with no stretch (hence the shock cord I added).

Thanks,
    John

Check out the video Brandon did. It shows the rubber band in detail and how to replace it when it wears out. Prety sure that you'll find it to be properly installed. As the Wooki is designed to precisely fit that Blackbird, I'd trust the fit. Maybe Brandon will see this and comment(?) Or, if not, you could send off an email to him with your concern.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Check out the video Brandon did. It shows the rubber band in detail and how to replace it when it wears out. Prety sure that you'll find it to be properly installed. As the Wooki is designed to precisely fit that Blackbird, I'd trust the fit. Maybe Brandon will see this and comment(?) Or, if not, you could send off an email to him with your concern.
    Thanks, I’ll look for the video. Is Brandon the gentleman that does the official Warbonnet channel YouTube videos? If not what is the name of Brandon’s channel.

And I’m sure the design is spot on, I’m just thinking I have some user error type stuff going on.

Thanks,
    John

Thanks, I’ll look for the video. Is Brandon the gentleman that does the official Warbonnet channel YouTube videos? If not what is the name of Brandon’s channel.

And I’m sure the design is spot on, I’m just thinking I have some user error type stuff going on.

Thanks,
    John
    Brandon IS Warbonnet! The vid is on the WB website.

Just to be sure... 10' original Blackbird?
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-25-2022 at 11:15.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thanks,
    John
    Here ya' go......

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks
    Holy smokes you guys are the most helpful bunch ever. Big thanks to all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast