Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Compressible / packable under-pad layer to increase R-value?

I know using CCF or a Reflectix layer under / above a pad is a good way to increase the r-value.

Is there a good solution that's stuffable into a stuff sack? Something that doesn't need to be folded?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    An Under Quilt Protector (UQP) doesn't have to be "folded" - it can be stuffed into a stuff sack. Same with a full hammock sock (Pretty much turns your hammock environment into a suspended single wall tent.). It also stuffs into a sack. Note, with a sock, you'll still need a tarp because the sock is breathable (i.e. not waterproof) on purpose.

Both supplements increase the comfort level (effective R-value) in cold/windy environments.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Good solutions for a gathered end hammock. I have a underquilt for my Blackbird XLC. I'm looking for something specific to using a Haven Tent hammock or just using a pad on ground etc. Sorry if I'm getting off forum topic here

Images
    For pad-style insulation, I think the most compact are the inflatable ones with internal reflective film, like the Thermarest NeoAirs. A 20" wide XLite rolls up to 4" diameter x 9" long (approx. 12oz) for an R-value of 4.5, and they don't have the noise problem anymore.

If you're asking more about pad supplementation, then yeah typically foam. If it weren't for their lack of compressibility, foam pads would have almost no downside compared to their inflatable counterparts.

For CCF, I recommend 1/8" or 1/4" EVA foam pads, and Mountain Laurel Designs is a good source (they call it their GoodNight pad). Those will roll up. You can try rolling them loosely so that they will form a circumference on the interior of your pack volume, before putting in your pack liner and other gear, but I don't personally care for that approach. Gossamer Gear sells the same pad material in 1/8" and they have a version that folds. Possibly could ride in the sit pad pocket of your pack, if your pack has one. I'm not too sure about the dimensions of that option.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-12-2023 at 14:21.

Images
    Also for consideration - the old Hennessy Super Shelter essentially incorporates an underquilt protector, CCF pad, and a reflective mylar "space blanket."

I have no experience with the Haven, or the Super Shelter, just adding to the options you may consider. The space blanket is very light and takes up little space. Condensation or just plain sweating are known pitfalls of this system, since the mylar and CCF are both vapor barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Also for consideration - the old Hennessy Super Shelter essentially incorporates an underquilt protector, CCF pad, and a reflective mylar "space blanket."

I have no experience with the Haven, or the Super Shelter, just adding to the options you may consider. The space blanket is very light and takes up little space. Condensation or just plain sweating are known pitfalls of this system, since the mylar and CCF are both vapor barriers.

Thanks for all the info. The Super Shelter is an extremely well thought out kit. It amazes me.. the amount of thought and planning to fabricate some of these things. Definitely a labor of love. I just watched all his videos on the system. I really think the Haven could benefit with something like this as there is no layer or cover for the underside. Maybe i'll have to fab something? I do see what you mean about the condensation build up.

You got me thinking (and don't know why I didn't think of this already...) I already have a Nemo Tensor pad that rolls up to ~ 3" x 9". I could just put that on top of the Haven pad. Duh. Even partially inflated it should provide an extra R2 to R3. (claimed R4.2) it's 25 wide and the Haven XL pad is 30". Shouldn't be an issue though. Unless it slides off the other pad ?

I really just need to get out and experiment.

Images
    Nailed it on the head with the last sentence. That's the only way you'll really find what works for you.

But you made me realize I wrote some things in error in another thread. I went back and corrected:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post2092939

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Thanks for all the info. The Super Shelter is an extremely well thought out kit. It amazes me.. the amount of thought and planning to fabricate some of these things. Definitely a labor of love. I just watched all his videos on the system. I really think the Haven could benefit with something like this as there is no layer or cover for the underside. Maybe i'll have to fab something? I do see what you mean about the condensation build up.

You got me thinking (and don't know why I didn't think of this already...) I already have a Nemo Tensor pad that rolls up to ~ 3" x 9". I could just put that on top of the Haven pad. Duh. Even partially inflated it should provide an extra R2 to R3. (claimed R4.2) it's 25 wide and the Haven XL pad is 30". Shouldn't be an issue though. Unless it slides off the other pad ?

I really just need to get out and experiment.
    Nailed it on the head with the last sentence. That's the only way you'll really find what works for you.

But you made me realize I wrote some things in error in another thread. I went back and corrected:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post2092939
    The HHSS pad is a formed(wraps around the shoulders) open cell foam, extremely breathable and compressible. The mylar blanket and original silnylon under cover are, of course, totally not breathable. HH also has a new system that still uses a OCF pad but the undercover is breathable. I don't know much about it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    The HHSS pad is a formed(wraps around the shoulders) open cell foam, extremely breathable and compressible. The mylar blanket and original silnylon under cover are, of course, totally not breathable. HH also has a new system that still uses a OCF pad but the undercover is breathable. I don't know much about it.
    Did Hennessy ever change to the breathable radiant reflective material, as he was talking about a few years back? I believe the material was from the S.O.L. Escape Bivvy and he was seeking to source the material from them.

The SOL Escape Bivvy seems to be a good material for that purpose. I'm not sure exactly how breathable it really is. I believe SOL is using Metalized Tyvek? Also called Tyvek Reflex. I looked around a bit and haven't found a low quantity supplier. I found a company called "2 Go Systems" that seems to use that fabric for a lot of their camping / outdoors products. Specifically ".74g Reflective soft structure Tyvek." If I could find some of that I wouldn't mind DIYing something for the Haven underside.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast