Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KY > RRG or LBL?

Hi group!
    I've been out of the loop since I got divorced in 2017. I really want to get back out and camp. I have experience hanging at Land Between the Lakes, so I'm considering that. But I've never camped at Red River Gorge and have barely even explored the area.

I'll be car camping solo. Aside from hanging out, I'd enjoy some nice scenery and hiking. I just want to have a chill re-entry into camping. This will be my first ever solo trip. I'll be hanging in my old ENO double nest. The setup is old, but I'm sure it will still hold up.

Any suggestions? Major changes in the last decade I should know about? Moral support?

Thanks!

Otter

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome back to the outside world. That divorce stuff can really knock you around. I don't have any advice on either location, I've seen great pics from both. I just wanted to say "hi" and share your trip with us when you get back.

Charlotte

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm in Northern Kentucky, near Cinci, and I've been going to the RRG for over 20 years. I think the gorge would be a perfect fit for what you have in mind. It's a beautiful area.

I always recommend visiting the Gladie visitor center when you get there to get a good map and to learn a bit about the area-- it will make your visit much more interesting and meaningful.

Car camping is easy. There are a couple state- owned pay- per- night campgrounds (Koomer Ridge and Whittleton) and a number of commercial campgrounds as well. Rates vary, but they have lots of amenities including showers and maybe laundry.

However, if you want to rough- it with much more solitude, there are a number of pull- in camping areas, especially on Tunnel Ridge road, which have gravel parking and vault toilets. You can camp anywhere within walking distance, but there is usually a network of trails to nearby sites, some with fire pits. Some actually lead to some nice views, and you can actually feel like you are backpacking even though the car is close. These are free to use but you have to get a parking permit for any overnight parking not in a pay campground. I think the 3- night permit is $5, 1- night may be $3, and a yearly permit is $30, but I may be off by a few bucks on those prices. Get them at any gas station in the area. You also have to store your food in a bear- proof container, car, or hung from a tree.

From there, you can drive to dozens of trailheads for day- hiking. If you are on Tunnel Ridge road, there is more hiking within a couple miles than you can do in a weekend. I'd recommend Auxier Ridge and Gray's Arch as an introduction to the area. There are a lot of unofficial, unmarked trails, but for your first trip I recommend sticking to the official trails. They are well- marked and obvious. Having said that, people get lost there all the time, and it's not a place you want to bush- whack unless you know the area well as there are many cliffs and drops that may not be obvious until you are falling. People die there every year doing stupid stuff, so don't be stupid. Take a map and the 10 essentials and you'll have a great time.

Lastly, there are restaurants in Slade and near Natural Bridge state park so you don't even have to cook. Miguel's is a must- do for any meal-- they have good breakfast food and pizza.

Have a great time. You won't regret a trip there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    I'm in Northern Kentucky, near Cinci, and I've been going to the RRG for over 20 years. I think the gorge would be a perfect fit for what you have in mind. It's a beautiful area.

I always recommend visiting the Gladie visitor center when you get there to get a good map and to learn a bit about the area-- it will make your visit much more interesting and meaningful.

Car camping is easy. There are a couple state- owned pay- per- night campgrounds (Koomer Ridge and Whittleton) and a number of commercial campgrounds as well. Rates vary, but they have lots of amenities including showers and maybe laundry.

However, if you want to rough- it with much more solitude, there are a number of pull- in camping areas, especially on Tunnel Ridge road, which have gravel parking and vault toilets. You can camp anywhere within walking distance, but there is usually a network of trails to nearby sites, some with fire pits. Some actually lead to some nice views, and you can actually feel like you are backpacking even though the car is close. These are free to use but you have to get a parking permit for any overnight parking not in a pay campground. I think the 3- night permit is $5, 1- night may be $3, and a yearly permit is $30, but I may be off by a few bucks on those prices. Get them at any gas station in the area. You also have to store your food in a bear- proof container, car, or hung from a tree.

From there, you can drive to dozens of trailheads for day- hiking. If you are on Tunnel Ridge road, there is more hiking within a couple miles than you can do in a weekend. I'd recommend Auxier Ridge and Gray's Arch as an introduction to the area. There are a lot of unofficial, unmarked trails, but for your first trip I recommend sticking to the official trails. They are well- marked and obvious. Having said that, people get lost there all the time, and it's not a place you want to bush- whack unless you know the area well as there are many cliffs and drops that may not be obvious until you are falling. People die there every year doing stupid stuff, so don't be stupid. Take a map and the 10 essentials and you'll have a great time.

Lastly, there are restaurants in Slade and near Natural Bridge state park so you don't even have to cook. Miguel's is a must- do for any meal-- they have good breakfast food and pizza.

Have a great time. You won't regret a trip there.

Thanks bonsaihiker. Planning a trip there myself and that's a ton of great info.
    Signature suspended

Hi Charlotte,
    Thanks for the support! I'll definitely post an update after the trip! I'm looking at mid-October, so pictures should be lovely. (not that i'll be that great at capturing them.)

Best,
    Otter

Scott,
    Thanks for the detailed recommendations. I'm hoping to get a day trip in before my overnight and I'll definitely stop by Gladie to get some info. I had read that Tunnel Ridge Rd was a good place to go, but the posts were older. Thanks for confirming!
    If this trip is a success, it's sure to lead to many more. (and probably an investment in better gear. My ex had a warbonnet hammock from early on when he started selling them. I'm still in my old ENO.)

Best,
    Otter

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock asym and Hex
    Insulation
    None for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    [QUOTE=bonsaihiker;2080127

Car camping is easy. There are a couple state- owned pay- per- night campgrounds (Koomer Ridge...[/QUOTE]

Have you had any issues hanging at Koomer Ridge?

Like the OP, I haven't hung in several years, but for different reasons. I did hang once in Koomer, but was not sure if they had any rules since.

Kevin

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ka8yiu View Post
    Have you had any issues hanging at Koomer Ridge?

Like the OP, I haven't hung in several years, but for different reasons. I did hang once in Koomer, but was not sure if they had any rules since.

Kevin
    Sorry, but i don't know. Only camped there once, it was many years ago, and it was before hammocks.

--Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Circadian-pro
    Tarp
    HammockGear 12'
    Insulation
    Arrowhead 25UQ45TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/ 1/2 Mule
    Hey everyone are there any hangs going on in the future at the gorge?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx
    This is great information!
    I'm in Louisville, KY as well and just went to RRG for the first time a couple weeks ago with my daughter.
    We stayed at Whittleton, but next time I think I'll try the pull-in areas. Whittleton was pretty crowded and the only site available with trees was right near the road. We had considerable road noise throughout the night.
    I didn't do much advanced planning, so we were happy to have a place to stay, but hoping for a more peaceful experience next time.
    I was greatly impressed with the Gorge overall.
    We hiked Natural Bridge, Grays Arch, and Indian Staircase.
    I plan to hike Indian Staircase again with my other daughter soon. Climbing the "staircase" was fun, and the views along the ridge up top were amazing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast