Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    EE underquilt, Kel
    Suspension
    Dynaweave Beckett

Post Long time lurker, hello from TN

Hey everyone, long time lurker here from the TN/KY border.... have been using this site as a hammock manual since my early days of hanging in 2013. Started backpacking in 2017 right before graduating college and now have logged over 500 miles on the AT, as well as hundreds (maybe thousands) more in the southeast! I owe a lot to Dutchware, Shug, Warbonnet, and Enlightened equipment for keeping me warm and dry in all my hangs over the years even when i was an amatuer. Could shoutout tons of others too but would take the whole afternoon. Its not my goal, but have now converted 3 tent camping friends to hammocks as well. I love being a source of information/teacher to all my friends who are new to the hobby, and always tend to end up with some great conversations in the backcountry with people who mention this forum or youtubers like Shug. Hope I can make it to one of the events this fall.

I was in a pretty serious accident back in january leading to me having serious whiplash & some minor spinal damage which I'm still in physical therapy for. Not only did I lose my car, job, social life, and sometimes my sanity but also lost my ability to go backpacking every few weeks. All I can say is I really took my time on the trail/in the hammock for granted and I have been dying to get back out to multi day trips. Thankfully, I have been able to do some hiking with light bags this year and (painfully) backpacked once up to Roan in July which I don't regret even though it caused me to get back into physical therapy. Here's to getting back at it this winter and patience with my body as I heal. I guess my biggest reason for this post is reading a lot of these forums and watching hours and hours of youtube backpacking videos has helped me power through these past 9 months and I'm forever grateful for such a positive community....not only here but on the trails too.

I do some occasional youtube videos, and spend a lot of my camping time writing music and studying the local botany. If you have questions about horticulture, organic farming, the Great Smokies, or the East TN mountains i'm here for it!

Cheers
    IMG_0109.JPG

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Glad you can get out in woods again.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'd say "Welcome to HF" but you've been 'here' longer than I have!

Glad you're recovering from your injury and able to enjoy the great outdoors again.

I don't want to make any assumptions, but if you're interested in the UL (ultralight) style of backpacking there is the Ultra Lite Gear sub forum where discussions on this topic are welcome. A lighter pack is always welcome, and it sounds as if that might be even more applicable to your situation.

For years I avoided hammocks because I didn't think them UL-compatible... however in 2017 I learned otherwise and have hammocked ever since.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Good luck with the healing! Nature is great medicine, but when it hurts to get out there, it's no good. Stick with the PT - patience will pay off in the end.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    EE underquilt, Kel
    Suspension
    Dynaweave Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Good luck with the healing! Nature is great medicine, but when it hurts to get out there, it's no good. Stick with the PT - patience will pay off in the end.

Charlotte
    Very true, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Mentally, I'm still in the Smokies"
    https://lighterpack.com/r/x0j67m

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    EE underquilt, Kel
    Suspension
    Dynaweave Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'd say "Welcome to HF" but you've been 'here' longer than I have!

Glad you're recovering from your injury and able to enjoy the great outdoors again.

I don't want to make any assumptions, but if you're interested in the UL (ultralight) style of backpacking there is the Ultra Lite Gear sub forum where discussions on this topic are welcome. A lighter pack is always welcome, and it sounds as if that might be even more applicable to your situation.

For years I avoided hammocks because I didn't think them UL-compatible... however in 2017 I learned otherwise and have hammocked ever since.
    Thanks for the recommendation and you’re absolutely right. I’ve been on a mission to become Ultralight even before the accident, however I’m looking to invest in it now more than ever. I use a GG Gorilla 50 pack (has been wonderful) and i’d say the only part of my sleep system that I wouldn’t consider truly “ultralight” is my hammock itself- double layer Warbonnet RR. I have a few ultralight hammocks however the extra weight is so worth the better support and comfort of a bridge hammock. Without food/water, my base weight is still usually <15lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Mentally, I'm still in the Smokies"
    https://lighterpack.com/r/x0j67m

• + New Posts