Best way to replace a sewn loop

Hi all- thanks for having me. I recently got my first hammock, and its definitely just a starter to get me into it as I convert over from a lifetime of ground based camping. I got a Klymit Traverse double that was on sale with plans to upgrade it eventually to something better/longer after I have all the rest of the necessary gear and then keep it as a loaner. My first upgrade to it is an improved suspension from the daisy chain type it came with to probably a Dutchware titanium buckle on an amsteel continuous loop type. So here is my questions-

The current suspension is a sewn loop through the end channel with a carabiner clipped to it that clips to the daisy chain (pic below). Would it be best to cut this loop off and run the continuous loop with buckle through this channel or is it acceptable to leave the sewn loop and attach the amsteel/buckle loop directly to the existing one? If I cut the sewn loop its definitely a permanent alteration at that point and no going back to the original suspension when this one becomes a loaner. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it were me, I'd replace that sewn loop with a CL. From that point, everything becomes pretty flexible. The biner brings it back to the original configuration. If you want to use that ti cinch buckle, it can be added to the CL by simply using a Larkshead. It can then be removed at any time. On the other hand, you could use some form of cinch buckle that stays with the strap instead of with the hammock, which is my preferred way to go. Cinch bugs, Beetle Buckles, Autumn Outdoors' Birch Buckles, etc.

If for some reason you would not want to cut that loop, you can always install the CL behind the gather, ala Warbonnet's configuration.

Any way you choose, this is pretty easy stuff.

Assuming you're going to want bug protection at some point, you might as well add a structural ridge line to hold up a bug net while you're at it.

As you add stuff, think about what length the eventual hammock(s) will be. That will determine your choices re UQ, rainfly, etc. Maybe even whatever bug net you decide on.

The ironic things is that the hammock body/bodies become a fairly minor part of the investment in gear!

That Klymit can serve as a lounging hammock as well as a loaner in the future.
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-10-2022 at 11:19.

Tom- thanks for that. What is the advantage of the beetle buckle over the cinch buckle? Im open as to how I do this. Also, for the closed loop- sounds like I should cut the existing sewn loop and run it through the end channel- so would I get the 15" loop to run through or stick with the 8" to do that?

Yes- realized the hammock was the smallest expense, so got one as a placeholder while I get the nets, ridgeline, quilt, etc just to get out there and start using it. Dutchware and Warbonnet definitely have ones Id like to try after the pain of the initial expense is behind me!

Much appreciated-

Quote Originally Posted by Crang View Post
    Tom- thanks for that. What is the advantage of the beetle buckle over the cinch buckle? Im open as to how I do this. Also, for the closed loop- sounds like I should cut the existing sewn loop and run it through the end channel- so would I get the 15" loop to run through or stick with the 8" to do that?

Yes- realized the hammock was the smallest expense, so got one as a placeholder while I get the nets, ridgeline, quilt, etc just to get out there and start using it. Dutchware and Warbonnet definitely have ones Id like to try after the pain of the initial expense is behind me!

Much appreciated-
    An 8" CL should be sufficient.

What I like less about any cinch buckle that stays with the hammock is the need to thread and unthread the strap every time you set up or take down if you want to pack up the straps separately. Wet, sappy, or whatever might be a reason to do so. I always detach the straps. Also, just having the bare CLs on the hammock allows for many choices of suspension. Those other pieces of hardware that I mentioned are also all cinch buckles but differ primarily in that, as I've stated, they stay with the strap.

Of course, so far, we're only talking about strap suspension with hardware. Who knows where this may all lead for you? Whoopies? Single lines with Loop Aliens or Turtle Ties or whatever? I could go on...

There's a decent chance that you'll end up with at least one 11' hammock, so choose your purchases of other components wisely.

I have purchased hammocks from each of the vendors you mentioned as well as Dream Hammock and a couple of others. All great. It really comes down to the features and fabric that you want. Arrowhead, SLD, Hammock Gear, and Superior come to mind as other options, but I don't have any of their hammocks (yet?)
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-10-2022 at 17:07.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Minifly/Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    An alternative to cutting off those sewn loops is getting the Dutchware Ti cinch buckle suspension as you planned and just attaching the continuous loop to your sewn loop with a lark's head. Then you're not making a permanent modification to your current hammock and can sell/gift/lend it intact and move the cinch buckle loop onto your next hammock if you wish.

I'm with Tom, I prefer the buckles that stay on the straps, but with the above strategy you can still just undo the lark's head if you want to separate the suspension from your hammock.

Personally, I swapped out the rope loops on my old hammocks with Amsteel continuous loops and I use them with everything from whoopie slings to Becket hitches to Beetle buckles, but I just had to untie knots instead of cutting a sewn loop, so I can put it all back together if I want to unload it in its original configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardino View Post
    An alternative to cutting off those sewn loops is getting the Dutchware Ti cinch buckle suspension as you planned and just attaching the continuous loop to your sewn loop with a lark's head. Then you're not making a permanent modification to your current hammock and can sell/gift/lend it intact and move the cinch buckle loop onto your next hammock if you wish.

Three comments:

That makes the suspension longer which could possibly be an issue with a short hang.

It's just extra "stuff."

The Cls in place of the sewn loops don't take away from all of the original functionality and they're dirt cheap.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Minifly/Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Three comments:

That makes the suspension longer which could possibly be an issue with a short hang.

It's just extra "stuff."

The Cls in place of the sewn loops don't take away from all of the original functionality and they're dirt cheap.
    Agreed on all points, though for an 8" CL to make much of an impact with a strap and buckle suspension, that would have to be a *really* short hang. That's more of a concern with whoopies that have minimum lengths. Like I said, I've replaced the loops on mine, and it's 100% an upgrade in every sense so nobody using it later should care.

I'm just presenting another option that doesn't require a permanent modification. He could also thread the CLs with buckles next to the sewn loops or attach them with carabiners, soft shackles, or other hardware. All more "stuff" but totally reversible if that's a concern.

Appreciate all the input! Sounds like replacing the sewn loop with a CL loop is the way to go. Use it with a beetle buckle now and just place the OEM carabiner on the CL when its time to use it as a loaner with the original daisy chain system. Seems like a plan and the CL gives me options to experiment with other systems that the sewn loop was a limitation on anyway.

Definitely plan on an 11" hammock eventually and everything I get will revolve around that....thanks again-

Chris

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you haven't already cut it, just to stir the pot, I would definitely NOT cut it. Why cut it? It looks like a solid piece of webbing with bombproof bar-tact stitching. You are just replacing one loop for another. And with a piece that short, you'd need an accurate scale to see - not feel - any weight difference.

In fact, t'were it me, I'd probably Larkshead a ring on that webbing for a "break" and then you can connect anything you want to the ring. But my preference is not to have line or webbing against line or webbing. I like some hardware intermediary. Admittedly, that comes from old rock climbing days when the effects of pressure and friction were more at the forefront.

But that webbing is so thick/wide, I don't think you'd have any problem larksheading buckles on a loop to it. Sure, it makes the distance requirement a tad longer (less than a foot), but the penalty would not be as much as if you switched to Whoopie slings.

By "ring", I don't mean some HomeDepot heavy steel (?) ring. I mean one of the aluminum ones our cottage vendors sell.

After trying daisy chain, webbing, whoopie slings (making my own), I used the simplicity of daisy chain for years. The only adjustment was making a 6-8 inches loop I could double over to occasionally create a "half-step" between the daisy chain loop distances. These days I'm slowly transitioning to webbing, mostly for something different.

I suppose the question is, what do you hope to gain by cutting that webbing? With the smaller diameter of Amsteel, I'm guessing you'd experience more wear on the channel fabric. Just Say'n
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-10-2022 at 17:20.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

It sounds like we should all replace the Cls on our GE hammocks with "a solid piece of webbing!" The benefits seem compelling...

• + New Posts