Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks

Threshold to switch from 20F to 0F setup

Hi guys, another noob here with another noob question.

I now have both a full 20F UQ/TQ pairing and a 0F UQ/TQ pairing - I bought an EE 20F UQ to pair with my EE 20F quilt that I already had for UL backpacking in a tent. I also just picked up a Warbonnet Wooki 0F UQ and Warbonnet Diamondback 0F top quilt.

My question is, at what forecasted overnight low, do you guys switch from bringing your 20F insulation pairing to your 0F insulation pairing? As a ground sleeper, I would bring my 0F sleeping bag over my 20F quilt if the overnight low was forecasted to hit below 30. I’m guessing it might be a different story in the hammock. I know it depends on the person and what they wear to bed, but I was curious what others switchover temp was. In the ground, I didn’t mind sleeping in my pants and puff if needed, but in the hammock I plan to try sleeping in just a dry base layer top and bottom (I mean I made the switch for comfort reasons) so I’m guesstimating I should bring the 0F gear over the 20F gear if the coldest overnight low breaks freezing, 32F. Might sound too conservative and I’ll have to experiment, but I’ve learned that too much insulation is always better than not enough.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm a warm sleeper....
    Will use my 30° set down to the upper 20s.
    Will use my 20° set down to the upper teens.
    Then will use my 0° set.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I used to be a warm sleeper, but that seemed to change when I switched to hammock camping. I think your strategy of switching to zero set below freezing is sound. I’ve taken my 20s down into the mid/high teens in the Smokies and I was pretty cold. I can stretch that set if using a tarp with doors/UQP and wearing an extra sleep layer like fleece or down pants. For me it’s always a trade off between weight/pack volume and comfort.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    For me it’s always a trade off between weight/pack volume and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Comfort wins out for me unless the weight penalty is way too much.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds about right to me. I'll always pick comfort over weight. I don't hike more than four miles in the winter, so I can handle a little extra weight.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    To paraphrase Yoda, "There is no ask; only try." You have to find that out for yourself - your body, your metabolism. The best way is to sleep outside with your intended gear and have a "bailout" option. One of those Min/Max thermometers mentioned in other threads is handy too.

I've found that I'm comfortable with a 10° cushion. As we move from 50° at night down to the low 40's. my 40° gear feels a little thin. When we reach a usual 45° or lower, I'd definitely switch to 20°. And when the temps reach the mid-20 °, I'll jump down to 0° gear. But that's just me - from my experience in cold weather.

Note that this is done at home, hanging outside. If I wake up and I'm too cold (not because I have to "get up"), I just go back inside the house.

And though I'm talking about 40°, 20°, 0°, after observing the fall/spring temperatures for the last couple of years, I'm going to try out 30° and 10° Wookies on my BlackBird. I'm thinking the more custom fit of the Wookie will reduce the requirement for that 10° cushion.

Now as far had your "insulation" clothing - you'll find strong variations on that too. As with many others, I'm more comfortable wearing less. By just having light pj's/socks/balaclava, and letting the quilts do the work, I find I'm more in an envelope of warmth than if I layer up. But I'm talking about temps mostly in the mid 20's, not the sub-arctic where Shug lives.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    I am a cold sleeper so anything below 30 degrees I bring my winter gear setup.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    I sleep absurdly cold, or I like to be absurdly warm, could be both are true.

For me, my 20F kit is good to around 40F. If forecast to be below upper 30s, I will switch out my 20F UQ for the 0F UQ and augment the TQ with a Costco down blanket or two.

I don't go camping much when below freezing, but, recently got a matched set of 0F TQ & UQ to give it a try this winter. If iforecast below freezing I'll use the full 0F kit down to around 10-15, lower than that and I'm probably not going.

I'd rather be toasty and have to put a leg out than be cold. I also don't backpack long distances so the bulk and weight aren't issues for me.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I have to say that winter camping is my favorite season. While I like the fall colors and the spring thaw, I love the solitude and quiet of winter hikes. If I can carry 20s great, but I will lug the zeroes just to experience quiet time on the trail while staying warm in my hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast