DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For me, most quilts work at or a little below their "advertised" ratings, but if it's 15°F I'll switch over to the 0°F UQ.

When it's that cold I'll also be carrying down parka and pants, so I use those to augment my 20°F-rated TQ and can easily get down to 0°F using that combo.

But it won't go down to -15°F... tried that once while ground (snow, actually) sleeping and it got a bit nippy at times although I did manage some sleep. I now have a 0°F-rated TQ for that reason. Below zero I just go-to-ground if I'm backpacking. I usually like to cover some distance and seriously below zero hammock kit becomes quite heavy and bulky, the realm of pulkers.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBXL
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Yeti/Diamond
    Suspension
    whoopies/buckles
    Images
    No sleep and shivering is a pretty big penalty!

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
    I am a cold sleeper so anything below 30 degrees I bring my winter gear setup.
    I think most people fit into this category. Unless you pack extra clothes, it’s always best to be safe than sorry. A miserable nights sleep makes for a long walk out.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have to remind myself that those published temperatures are usually the temperature in town, not up on the mountain. So it pays to think "It can get colder."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear Bug

Winter gear setup?

What is your Winter Gear Setup? I have a 20* TQ, a Costco quilt as my UQ, a OneWind hammock sock, midweight merino wool base layer , hat, gloves. Where I backpack to, it is usually 30s to high 40s. I still get cold. Should I add another layer of pants and my puffy? What about using a silver sheet under the UQ? I’m really trying to get my pack much lighter, as we tend to do 4-8 miles to get to camp, and as I am aging, (lol), the pack feels heavier. More layers, or a warmer quilt? They are so pricey though…. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by macheek View Post
    What is your Winter Gear Setup? I have a 20* TQ, a Costco quilt as my UQ, a OneWind hammock sock, midweight merino wool base layer , hat, gloves. Where I backpack to, it is usually 30s to high 40s. I still get cold. Should I add another layer of pants and my puffy? What about using a silver sheet under the UQ? I’m really trying to get my pack much lighter, as we tend to do 4-8 miles to get to camp, and as I am aging, (lol), the pack feels heavier. More layers, or a warmer quilt? They are so pricey though…. Any suggestions?
    I would say using the sock probably makes technique/gaps in the UQ less likely.

Did you confirm those temps with a thermometer? Could be colder

Were you sweaty at all in the morning? Could have been too warm

Not sure the loft on the Costco, that could be the culprit. You could try layering another cheap quilt

Where were you cold?

Personally I’d try with puffy, rain jacket, pants etc and see how it went

Trying with cheap Walmart ccf underneath you is another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    see below... added the quote

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by macheek View Post
    99.9% chance that the Costco 'underquilt' is the culprit. As a topquilt, they are only good to about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I would guess that would be a fair rating as an underquilt as well. In a hammock, the insulation that is under you is arguably the most important factor in keeping you comfortably warm. My suggestion is to get a proper 20- or 30-degree underquilt. There are other ways to supplement insufficient insulation under you, but it will take experimenting for your particular situation, and I don't use them, so you will need to rely on others to assist there.
    Last edited by Countrybois; 12-02-2022 at 10:17.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While I have UQ's rated at 0, 20, 30 & 50 degrees I usually take my 0 degree UQ if it is going to be around 20 or colder. I also use a Warbonnet XL Sock, I leave the sock door mostly open for ventilation but it still blacks the wind and helps to trap the heat.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Somebody else said this once and it made alot of sense.... think how thick your mattress at home is. No matter how cold or warm your room is, you get your comfort from the blankets. In other words, I would always make sure I had plenty of loft under my hammock to the point of overkill. Id even use my 0* UQ in the summer if need be. Its top quilt Id be more concerned about.
    Last edited by Crawldaddy; 12-07-2022 at 13:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast