Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    It just doesn't seem like the rainfly is the issue here. From what I've read, it wasn't rain blowing in but, rather, water running down the hammock suspension. Hanging the fly so low that the doors can't close seems counterproductive. It sure makes sense to hang a hex or asym low when the weather calls for it but that shouldn't really be an issue with having doors. Assuming a 110" SRL, you're going to have roughly a foot of fly beyond each end of the hammock. Do the best you can with drip lines under the fly and most of the time you'll be okay. Once in a while, not so much!
    Yeah, the water was running down the suspension, which eventually saturated the webbing. So I was left with soaked drip lines and damp foot end of hammock and UQ.

I guess that I was just curious as to how others have managed to remain "bone dry" in heavy rain with their tarp setup, but now I see that dry is all relative and very contextual.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Yeah, the water was running down the suspension, which eventually saturated the webbing. So I was left with soaked drip lines and damp foot end of hammock and UQ.

I guess that I was just curious as to how others have managed to remain "bone dry" in heavy rain with their tarp setup, but now I see that dry is all relative and very contextual.
    The drip lines SHOULD be soaked! It means they were (somewhat) working. Obviously the goal is to keep the suspension beyond them as dry as possible.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Nobody stays dry when it's foggy. In fact, fog is worse than rain, and moisture ends up permeating everything... no respite under the tarp.

The water on this tarp all came from fog condensing on tree leaves and dripping onto the tarp, and all other gear except the top quilt was wet. The top quilt outer was damp but body heat kept it from getting totally soaked.

hammock_harriman_fog_01.jpg hammock_harriman_fog_tarp_02.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-09-2022 at 08:36.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Nobody stays dry when it's foggy. In fact, fog is worse than rain, and moisture ends up permeating everything... no respite under the tarp.

The water on this tarp all came from fog condensing on tree leaves and dripping onto the tarp, and all other gear except the top quilt was wet. The top quilt outer was damp but body heat kept it from getting totally soaked.

hammock_harriman_fog_01.jpg hammock_harriman_fog_tarp_02.jpg
    Yeah, that's a good point, anything airborne (mist or fog) is much more culpable. Even with doors, mist finds a way inside the tarp. I've camped next to mountain streams and quickly discovered how efficiently water vapor travels.

It's really about managing one's expectations and staying comfortable while wet/damp. When people say "bone dry", they are really alluding to being comfortable in the relative dampness.

Nice photo of hammock in the fog, by the way. Colors are crisp!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My first time dealing with mist was on the north side of Vargas Island. We saw it coming in before bedtime and by the morning, everything - EVERYTHING - outside the tent was covered with a wet film. That made an impression. So when I moved into hammocks, my first quilt purchases were synthetics.

I've been fortunate never to have that mist situation again. If I had just a tarp/hammock/TQ/UQ, I'd expect the TQ/UQ to be wet because you can't shut a tarp like a tent. But a UQP might protect the UQ and a bug net the TQ as the mist would form on the outside of the UQP and net.

The photos below show the mist in the distance, and one of our clothes/tent under a tarp - everything outside was wet. If I were going to be in that kind of weather often, I'd be rethinking the whole shelter thing.

IncomingMist.jpg

HangingMist.jpg
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    If I had just a tarp/hammock/TQ/UQ, I'd expect the TQ/UQ to be wet because you can't shut a tarp like a tent. But a UQP might protect the UQ and a bug net the TQ as the mist would form on the outside of the UQP and net.
    Yeah, an underquilt protector might help in that situation, but I haven’t used one personally. I really wonder how effective it would be at keeping UQ dry from mist or even water traveling down suspension lines.

Moisture eventually finds a way into everything, I am sure.

I thought that if you could seal a tarp with doors well enough, pitch it low, an UQP wouldn’t be necessary, right?

I’ve never tried one, but I am curious about them. Not sure if I would use one or when I should use it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    UQ Protector does help with keeping moisture like mist and fog off the UQ...to a certain extent. Really good for keeping the wind from robbing the heat out of your UQ.
    Won't keep water from coming down suspension.
    Part of the fun (if you can call it that) of hammocks is working out all these bits.
    Shug

Yeah, an underquilt protector might help in that situation, but I haven’t used one personally. I really wonder how effective it would be at keeping UQ dry from mist or even water traveling down suspension lines.

Moisture eventually finds a way into everything, I am sure.

I thought that if you could seal a tarp with doors well enough, pitch it low, an UQP wouldn’t be necessary, right?

I’ve never tried one, but I am curious about them. Not sure if I would use one or when I should use it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks Shug

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    UQ Protector does help with keeping moisture like mist and fog off the UQ...to a certain extent. Really good for keeping the wind from robbing the heat out of your UQ.
    Won't keep water from coming down suspension.
    Part of the fun (if you can call it that) of hammocks is working out all these bits.
    Shug

I’m with you on that: part of the fun is definitely tinkering and fine tuning, perfecting one’s skills!

UQP is on my (growing) list of gear that I would like to use one day. Seems practical when you want the “views” on cooler, breezier days (especially with a narrower tarp).

I wonder if an UQP could have any other uses…maybe a pack cover? Probably way too big.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Depends on the size of your pack.

PCT Oregon 1974
    paulsPack.jpg

Another use for mine is sometimes things slip. it's not unusual for your hammock, with UQ attached, to find its way to the ground during setup or takedown. The UQP protects that UQ from said ground/dirt/tiny things crawling in the grass.

Also, because I switch out hammocks and UQ's, I don't have one "golden" setup. And I often have to set up alone. I can't see the end of the hammock and be in the hammock at the same time (I suppose I could load it with a pack inside or full drybags). Using a UQP, I can be a little sloppy with the UQ fit.

Do know that if you seal that tarp up too much, your next post will be asking about how to handle the consdensation build up.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast