Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps

Any ideas of great hang spots for an overnight between Ironwood, MI and Sault St Marie?

Hey Hammock Crew!

My wife and I are on a cross country trip and currently in Duluth.

She asked me if there was a spot to hang that doesn't require a hike to reach before we crossed back into Canada so I'm asking for any suggestions.

We have a car full of stuff and while we both want the hike, we've been living on the road adventuring now since October last year so our lives are in the car and we don't want to leave it at a trailhead.

It's a one night hang, sadly no longer and any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you. Brady
    Brady

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    If you can get a spot, any of the campsites at Pictured Rock National Lakeshore. Great day hikes. If you cannot make a reservation (required). Then there are plenty of good CG and free camping areas in the Hiawatha NF. south of Munising. We stayed at Widewaters CG and odd # campsites 9-17 all have river access. 17 has a nice glen right by the water you could set hammock up and still be close to car.

There are also plenty of free sites along the river, off Little Indian Road. These sites can be seen in Google Maps, Satatilight view. Both these areas are close to Munising to take the boat tour of the Rocks or take day hikes.
    Capture.JPG
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 09-06-2022 at 09:19.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    If you are taking US 2 across when you get into Iron County you will see Pewabic state park and also Bewabic State Park. While they require a permit, which you could purchase at the entrance, neither should be full this time of year and should provide some short hiking trails and good campsites.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Thanks @jeff-oh and @Longwinters!

We're just making our plan now before heading to one of those spots shortly.

I appreciate the ideas and am looking forward to it!
    Brady

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That'll be a nice drive. Driving thru the UP isn't really "work" for me; it's part of the fun and time goes by quickly. If you're in a jam and find campsites full or the drive time doesn't work out, you can just pull off a forest road and camp. Check out the mi-hunt site (https://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mi-hunt) to find the state forest and forest service land where you can camp for free. I'm too cheap for a hotel so I'll do that and just drive until 11pm, park my Jeep, and jump in the back to sleep to get an early start on the next day.

p.s. the "Forest Service" land on the legend is bright orange but a dull peach on the map. I told them to fix that several times; I'm sure that tricked a few people!

p.p.s. Have you seen the spring Kitch-iti-kipi in Manistique? That blew my mind!! More of a touristy thing but I've never seen anything like that. Worth a quick stop if you're on US2.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    Assuming you are taking MI-28 East:

Tyoga Historical Pathway; N of MI-28 on CR-483 has a small rustic campground that is lightly used. It can be a little buggy. It is the site of an old logging camp/townsite. There is a nice little loop trail.

Autrain Lake Campground is S of MI-28. There is dispersed camping in the general area. USFS-2276 heading W off Autrain Forest Lake Rd has some nice areas. The road is sandy and you might want a 4WD on some sections. Then turn N on USFS-2483.

Adams Trail H-58 between Munising and Grand Marais is a very nice drive. As mentioned above it gives you access to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

There is a cluster on three nice state campgrounds S of H-58: North Gemini Lake CG , South Gemini Lake CG, and Ross Lake CG. I have camped at Ross Lake several times and found it peaceful and scenic.

Kingston Lake Campground is a nice campground that is lightly used and does not require reservations.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Thanks for the ideas everyone, unfortunately didn't see some of these until we were in Canada.

We had issues with our phones connecting to the US networks, which is odd but whatever.

Ended up having a great sleep at Widewaters.
    Brady

• + New Posts