Hennessy Survivorman
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH foam, Klym. StV
    Suspension
    TBD

Whoopies with Stock HH Suspension

First, please accept my apologies if this has been discussed somewhere. I have searched forums and read and watched videos and I can't find an answer.

I have my first hammock. I bought the HH Survivorman edition (for the size, the upgraded tarp and double-bottom insulation).

I have some health issues that are affecting my ability to continue canoe tripping. I have back issues that need me to be off the ground. I have peripheral neuropathy issues (autoimmune and neurological/spinal) that mean I need an easy set up when I'm tired and my hands are "fumbly", my small-motor coordination is off, and my arms are weak for overhead reaching.

It's like MS but not actually MS. My issues are directly impacted and compounded by fatigue and cold.

The hammock hang is causing me problems.

When I am tired at the end of a day on the water and some portages, I can't tie knots or fuss with anything that requires much grip strength or overhead reaching. I often travel solo and so I need a method that doesn't rely on someone else to do the hang for me.

I don't really want to remove the stock suspension at this point and I don't want to create a separate tarp hang line. What I am hoping to do is to combine the stock suspension lines with something adjustable.

Would it work to lark's head the existing line to a biner (I have the Camp Photon ones), tying a slippery half-hitch below the LH with the tail end to hold the knot secure, and then utilize a 1/8" Amsteel Blue Whoopie to connect the biner to the stock tree straps?

I'm thinking either another lark's head to fasten the whoopie to the tree straps or to use a second biner between the whoopie and the tree straps.

I have the biners, the 1/8" Amsteel Blue whoopies, and the stock suspension.

I also have an extra 40' of 7/64" Amsteel Blue and 25' each of 3mm and 5 mm Gottifredi Maffioli Swiftcord (SK78 dyneema - 400daN and 835daN respectively). But I don't think that any of these are good/strong enough for suspension components.

I'm also open to any other suggestions for a non-fiddly hang, although threading small buckles may be beyond my dexterity at some points, particularly if it is cold at all.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

I would say “yes” it will work. The benefit of removing the stock suspension and attaching the whoopie in its place is it reduces the minimum length. The minimum length of the whoopie is 8 to 10” on each end so that already inconveniences some people. But the when you keep the stock suspension and attach it with binders, The biners are 3 or 4” each. Then the stock suspension with the knots are maybe a minimum 5-8” at each end. That is a lot of extra length, so you need trees farther apart which means the straps are higher up on the trees.

Also 7/64” is fine for suspension. I had not ever heard of it breaking from too much weight when used as suspension.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I wonder whether whoopie slings are the way to go for you. I have difficulties manipulating whoopies sometimes myself and I don't struggle with the fumbly hands challenges that you mention. Whoopies can be fickle.

You actually have a number of options that don't involve knots and still use some or all of your existing suspension. There are a lot of smart and experienced folks here and I'm sure you'll get quite a few suggestions to consider.

Here are two simple approaches I can think of. Both support your idea of affixing a carabiner to the existing hammock line. The downside is both require you to make another purchase.

Option 1) Replace your stock straps with daisy chain straps. Fasten the 'biner to the existing line. Daisy chain straps go around the tree just like regular straps. When you go to set up. simply clip the 'biner into a loop of the daisy chain strap wherever you want it. Clip into a different loop to adjust the hammock height. That's about as non-fumbly as it gets.

Option 2) A less expensive approach that would give you even more adjustability. You'll need a pair of cinch buckles with integrated Amsteel loops or something similar. Several vendors offer variants.

cinch buckle with loops.jpg

Fasten the 'biner to the existing line. Put the cinch buckles on your existing straps (where they can remain - no need to re-thread them every time). When you go to set up all you need to do is clip the 'biner to the Amseel loop and then pull on the strap in the buckle to tighten things up.

When it's time to pack up, both approaches are as simple as disconnecting the 'biner (either from the daisy chain loop or from the Amsteel loop). Then removing the straps from the trees. Everything else stays in place.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Whoopies with Stock HH Suspension

I’m a knot guy.
    But you might like some Dutch straps with buckles.
    Maybe a piece of Dutch hardware to attach straps to tree. Please forgive me for not remembering the names of Dutch’s hardware. He has straps that are designed to work with his buckles.
    His knowledgeable sales staff will get you what you need for a stress free set up for your rig, with the least bit of fumbling around.

Good luck from Phantom…all knots all the time.

Also Anne Marie of Autumn Outdoor Gear has some fantastic strap and buckle combos.

Somewhere there is a knot with your name on it!!!

Dutch clips, Dutch Beetle Buckles, Dutch spider poly straps
    If I’ve misnamed a product, please forgive me.
    This will get you up and running with minimal fumbling around, reaching overhead, and thinking.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 09-01-2022 at 21:55.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I have a HH that I got second-hand off the forum, but it already had the stock ropes substituted with whoopies.

However, the original owner gave me the ropes as well as a set of 2” rings, I think they’re called decender or ascension rings. The rings can be connected to tree huggers, then the stock ropes are fed through the rings similar to a motorcycle helmet strap.

It works really well and is an older technique some HH owners use, but many (like myself) swap the original ropes for continuous loops to make it the same setup as my other hammocks.

Is you need a visual, I can probably whip up something.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Echoing some comments above, for the simplest non-knot setup I'd recommend Dutch's Beetle Buckle complete suspension (<-- link) which comes with straps, buckles and continuous loops (CLs). Option for spreader pole, which of course is not needed for a solo hanger. I'd also recommend the regular polyester webbing and not the spider poly, which tends to wear faster, and the sewn-in Dutch clips which make for easy no-knot attachment to the tree.

You'll not regret at all changing out the HH ropes for the CLs. People with HH rigs frequently pop in with questions about those ropes and the (pardon my frankness here) antiquated lashing method. Sure, it works, and it's rather cool for a retro knot sort of person, but there are so many other options these days, all of them better than the HH ropes. And webbing is virtually always preferred over rope when it comes to protecting tree bark, or at least mitigating damage.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I replaced my ropes and straps on my safari deluxe xxl classic entry with 15" continuous loops and 15' spider/poly straps with beetle buckles from dutchware. Much simpler setup, infinite adjustability, and saved 124grams of weight over stock setup

• + New Posts