Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Just curious why you think the silicone is going to peel off .. I know seam seal tape will do that, but I have made tarps both ways and over 7 years have seen no evidence of the bonding breaking down.

This is also the prescribed method for fixing pin holes and such, just bond a patch around the hole ... of course to get to look right you need to put it between 2 surfaces and keep it flat while it sets up.

Brian

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Just curious why you think the silicone is going to peel off .. I know seam seal tape will do that, but I have made tarps both ways and over 7 years have seen no evidence of the bonding breaking down.

This is also the prescribed method for fixing pin holes and such, just bond a patch around the hole ... of course to get to look right you need to put it between 2 surfaces and keep it flat while it sets up.

Brian
    I've been using outdoor gear for 45 years and ALL of the synthetic stuff eventually fails. Its just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I've been using outdoor gear for 45 years and ALL of the synthetic stuff eventually fails. Its just a matter of time.
    That certainly applies to my knees...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Talcum powder keeps it from sticking for a while but it doesn't do anything to keep the reinforcement from peeling off eventually. I guess its standard practice now on sil-poly tarps now.
    OK I have to say this description makes me think it's not a Dutch tarp because their bonding process doesn't yield anything sticky such as this. Now the stick-on repair patches I don't know about... I have a couple in my repair kit but haven't used one yet.

But I'll agree that everything fails eventually.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    OK I have to say this description makes me think it's not a Dutch tarp because their bonding process doesn't yield anything sticky such as this. Now the stick-on repair patches I don't know about... I have a couple in my repair kit but haven't used one yet.

But I'll agree that everything fails eventually.
    Its not a dutch tarp but it really doesn't matter who made it. I guess the majority of the people who have responded feel its acceptable so I'm going to keep it. I designed membrane structures (water towers, pressure vessels, airplane fuselages) for a living for many years so I understand the issue of relative stiffness between the reinforcement and the reinforced. I just don't like the way the tarp I bought is bonded. If I was doing it myself or repairing a pinhole leak I would also use sil-net because its all a DIYer really has available to them. If I was a professional selling to the public I would use a better process. There has got be a better way to do it.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Could be that there's nothing wrong with the approach per se, but that your vendor just did a particularly bad job with your tarp.

If it were me and the vendor typically had a solid reputation for customer satisfaction (like one of many cottage vendors people seem to reference all the time on this forum), then I'd have them replace the tarp (the good ones will at no extra charge) just on the chance that maybe a poorly constructed tarp slipped through the quality review cracks. (Maybe some newly-hired neophyte got carried away with too much sealant or something.)

If my purchase was from a mass market vendor, then I'd probably return it for a refund or maybe keep it and just make the best of it and remind myself: "caveat emptor".

Different strokes for different folks though.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Could be that there's nothing wrong with the approach per se, but that your vendor just did a particularly bad job with your tarp.

If it were me and the vendor typically had a solid reputation for customer satisfaction (like one of many cottage vendors people seem to reference all the time on this forum), then I'd have them replace the tarp (the good ones will at no extra charge) just on the chance that maybe a poorly constructed tarp slipped through the quality review cracks. (Maybe some newly-hired neophyte got carried away with too much sealant or something.)

If my purchase was from a mass market vendor, then I'd probably return it for a refund or maybe keep it and just make the best of it and remind myself: "caveat emptor".

Different strokes for different folks though.
    As I said in my original post it is well done with excellent workmanship. I just don't like it and the method of reinforcement doen't match the description. So what I got and what I thought I was getting were two different things. I'll just leave it at that. I probably should have asked more questions before I ordered it. A lot of the cottage vendors have basic descriptions that aren't actually correct once you start choosing the options available.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I would say if you don't like it, then send it back. Why keep it? The only person that needs to be satisfied with it is you.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    I would say if you don't like it, then send it back. Why keep it? The only person that needs to be satisfied with it is you.
    Because of the cost of shipping. It wasn't necessarily the vendors mistake that I misunderstood what I was getting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12