Does there exist a 12' hammock that is affordable & perhaps returnable?

Hi there:

I'm 6'6" and 205#, so I'm also trying to get the feel of whether a 12' hammock is actually a game changer in comfort vs my 11' Deep Jungle XL, without investing hundreds and hundreds of dollars, and customizing it and having it be completely un-returnable.

Long term, I think I'd prefer a UL hammock compared to what I have, just want to figure out if the 12' is worth the extra weight penalty. I think I would prefer 1.2 MTN XL, but open to different materials, depending on the price.

It would be great if it were returnable so I could compare it to my existing setup. Heck I could even leave it in the backyard setup if it were affordable enough.

Thanks!

Would a dutchware 12' footer be a good setup? Simply light designs tree runner? Or something else?
    Last edited by arooni; 08-28-2022 at 20:12.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’d get 12 feet long and five and half feet wide.
    I’d get Hexon wide 1.6 fabric or MTN 1.7 to keep from being too stretchy for your weight.

No need to go full 6 feet wide, there is a point of diminishing returns in extra hammock width.
    But certainly there is more comfort than a five foot width, which many times is further trimmed to 58 inches, if five foot fabric was used….some allowance goes to seams.

I can be wrong here, but I’m guessing asbestos I can
    I have a 12x6 hammock and a 11 and half foot long hammock that is made with wide fabric. It’s somewhere between 68 and 70 inches wide.
    Very comfortable hammocks.

If you don’t like your new hammocks, sell them at a discount to your friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were going to keep it as my ultralight hammock, wouldn't 1.2 MTN XL be a better choice? Much less weight?

In terms of a 'see how I like 12' hammocks' I suppose I'm open to any fabric, depending on price.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arooni View Post
    If I were going to keep it as my ultralight hammock, wouldn't 1.2 MTN XL be a better choice? Much less weight?

In terms of a 'see how I like 12' hammocks' I suppose I'm open to any fabric, depending on price.
    A Tree Runner made of good ol' Hexon 1.6 in Phantom's suggested dimensions would be a good place to start. I highly recommend getting the Knotty mod, which nicely corrals the loose fabric in the unloaded 'corners' of the hammock, and a 119" structural ridge line made of 7/64" Amsteel.

On top of that, Jared will put it on the next-departing ICBM and it will arrive at your house before you ordered it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    My first 12’ was the Dutchware netless one (every now and then they have one in the “blemished gear” section); I liked it, and got the SLD Voyageur, which I find has a more comfortable lay (I find the DW actually too wide). Both highly recommended, and I agree that Jared’s turnaround rate does seem faster than light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts