Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension

Traveling from SC, then NC, then TN September 16 to 19ish

I am going to be starting out in South Carolina on the 16th and heading west. I would love to find some great areas to Hang and maybe some company if anyone would like to camp. Ideally the mountains would be great and a trout stream ideal. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
    Don

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    In TN I would recommend Lost Creek Campground ( free, pit toilet, no water but you can get water from Lost Creek and filter it ). Lots of trees to hang from. Next to a trout stream. Dirt road leading to camp ground is 7 miles long and you do not need a 4WD, a 2WD is fine

https://www.parkadvisor.com/us/tenne...eek+Campground
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    I’ll be out of town, but if knowing your general route could help find a stop for you in WNC just about anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    My general route will be from I 26 to I40 and then I75.

Gunner - Thank you TONS!!!!

Possum - I hope that helps you help me find a spot. Ideally I want to spend a night or two here or there to really get the full mountain experience as being in the Midwest we really just don't have anything more than a hill here.

Thanks
    Don

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdh96 View Post
    to really get the full mountain experience
    I think in that case you should go for some heavy hitters… best views close to your route would be to take 26 to Blue Ridge Parkway. Along BRP you could do as many shorter hikes as you had time for, or as many pull over to overlooks if you were limited on time.

Where it’d be most worth the day hike or longer overnight loop would be Shining Rock Wilderness. Black Balsam and Tennent are very doable as a day hike. An easy place to set up in that area would be along the Flat Laurel Creek trail, using the trailhead off of Lake Logan Rd. A campsite close to the road is marked on the AllTrails listing for FLC, but there are many other suitable spots along the creek. Can’t speak to the trout there. SRW is bear canister and no open fire required.

You could make loops from there to check out Black Balsam (and more, depending on your time/ability) or just drive to the BB trailhead to save time.

Unfortunately it looks like you’ll hit this area on the weekend, so there will be some competition for the easier access spots.

If you’ve got the time/ability to go farther there’s plenty to do in that area

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Possum, thank you so very much!!! These are some great suggestions.

Don

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Also right off of I 40 is an access into the Smoky Mtns to take you into Big Creek. Id advise getting your permit ASAP tho. Chk out Smoky Mtn Nat Park online

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Thank you!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Well, I want to thank you all again for the great suggestions. I had a memorable time on my trip, I went up into the mountains from Lake Logan Rd after 11 pm on night one (I know I should have gotten there much earlier but it is what it is). I had a friend in South Carolina who has a place in the area also tell me of the bears 2 and 4 legged variety. While I do not scare easily and have camped by myself for over 20 years this time I was a little more reserved about heading into the forest. I think what did it in for me was that I could not see very well and did not want to fall down the hills. Each place I parked at, I could not find a great entry without going down a few hundred feet lol. So I ended up just sleeping in the car. At about 3 am I awoke to a truck stopping, then a guy getting out and shining a flashlight into the vehicle. I expected it to be a cop but when he saw I was in the car he shut the light off got back into his vehicle and sped away..... Needless to say, I'm glad I stayed in my vehicle. The morning was amazing and I got out and saw several waterfalls, talked with some fisherman, and did a hang for a little bit before I decided to head off to Tennessee for the next adventure. It was a beautiful area and can't thank you enough for the suggestion!!

I headed to Lost Creek Campground and followed the Nantahala Gorge taking in the sights for about the 3 hour trip. It was gorgeous, I fished in North Carolina and Tennessee. You weren't kidding about the gravel road, it was pretty crazy. It took me about 45 minutes to get up the mountain mostly because I was driving very cautiously. Totally doable in 2 wheel drive, 4 would have been better if it was muddy but it was as dry as a bone. I pulled into the campsite at about 1 pm and found a spot directly on the stream which was really low. Hung my hammock right away and then did some fishing and caught about 10 of the smallest smallmouth bass that I have ever seen lol. I talked with the neighbor and he said that they stock the trout in the spring there.
    So while I thought this was going to be the quiet night of the two, I was wrong again. About 6 pm a couple pulled up in a camper and the lady jumped out and asked when I was going to leave. After telling her about five times that I had to leave first thing in the morning to get home, she finally understood me and complained that they were not in my spot. The spot next to me was open, but it wasn't 'their campsite'...
    About an hour later the guy traveled to my neighbor and could not produce a comprehendible sentence for him to understand. Then both of them headed back my way. My neighbor came to my rescue with his dogs and they ended up heading back to their camper. He told me that he has camped there a half dozen times and had never had any issues. About 9 pm they started a bonfire and kept shining lights our way, I ended up staying awake until 1 am when they decided to retire for the evening. I'm not sure what kind of substances they were on, but I bet they had partaken pretty hard. I'm trying to be pretty kind here and leaving out some details...... anyway, I slept until 7 am, got up and wished the neighbor a fantastic day and left. The campsite truly was amazing, you just can't pick your neighbors. I did end up getting down the mountain in record time.. 20 minutes roughly.

I want to thank you all again for the suggestions and I will be going back again in the future. I want to explore more off of Lake Logan Rd and then catch some trout at both places maybe in the spring.

Hope you all got out over the past few weeks and enjoyed the weather!!

Don

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    20220918_150529.jpg20220918_135853.jpg20220918_090529.jpg20220918_090453.jpgReally late uploading photos, but it was gorgeous there

• + New Posts