Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images

How to camp with a Dog(s)

Hello all and thanks for reading this.

My wife and I have two smallish dogs that we would like to take with us on overnighters. I know some of you may do this - I know I could just tie them to a tree etc and hope they would be smart enough to stay under the tarp.

But these aren't Wonder Dogs....

If any of you do camp with your dog - especially if you do wild camping in National Forests....... how do you do it and what gear do you have them sleep in?

How to you keep them from barking at the night life that may be passing by - or inviting the Mt. Lion over for a literal doggy treat?

Thanks in advance for any answers -

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a 54 pound beagle who sleeps with me in my hammock. He has a keen sense of smell, but rarely barks at anything. The only thing that annoys me is that he always wakes up between 3 and 5 am and wants to water the flowers. One night he threw up, and wanted to eat his own vomit (I declined to allow it). When we awoke in the morning, the vomit was gone. Some animal got a free meal!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Dutchware pup tent might work. Make sure to put shoes on them, other wise they will tear it apart trying to get to you. If I really wear my dog down during the day, he'll be OK with it until about 5 am. In the tent, he'll sleep until sunrise and doesn't get anywhere near as antsy.
    Quoting my post from the other recent thread.

Last edited by Hang Williams; 08-27-2022 at 20:53.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Hang, that looks amazing. If I could get my Malinois to be that still I would totally consider it. We are on a journey about being good citizens currently lol... He's 11 and I hope he changes his tune soon. Currently, he stays home but man I would love to bring him along.

Do you close that up at night for him?

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdh96 View Post
    Hang, that looks amazing. If I could get my Malinois to be that still I would totally consider it. We are on a journey about being good citizens currently lol... He's 11 and I hope he changes his tune soon. Currently, he stays home but man I would love to bring him along.

Do you close that up at night for him?
    Yes, I do now. That was the morning after the second night of him using it. The first night I tried closing him in it and he tore the bugnet pretty bad because he wasn't in shoes and wanted to be closer. He ended up pulling the stakes out of the ground and he was balled up in the fabric flailing around with the bungee cord connected to the hammock suspension around midnight. It was kind of funny and easy enough to replace the bugnet when I got back home. I cannot stress enough, though, that I need to get him tired before putting him in there.

That looks like a pretty slick solution, we just got a golden retriever pup I want to start camping with next summer and have been thinking about how to do that with a hammock. Might have to give that one a try.

I used to carry a 20ish ft, lightweight polypropylene rope. I'd tie off between two trees (4-5' off the ground). I'd loop the dog's leash handle (which was probably 10 ft long) through the rope and create an impromptu dog run. It's fully adjustable, gave her plenty of slack for sleeping and she could move away from camp to do her business at night.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock sparrow
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Tropical weather
    Suspension
    Straps and knots
    My wife is a ground sleeper. We take our dog fairly regularly. She's a small dog (10kg). If I'm on my own she is small enough to sleep in the hammock although as Hang says, you need to be careful on tearing. Barking is something that seems to decline as they get used it, although you'd need to be prepared for a bit at any time. If my wife is there, the dog will sleep in the tent and she is generally calmer and less prone to barking when in there. In my experience the dog will generally stay around the place and not wander off at night, although we are in tropical conditions, have fewer rules/social expectations on dog behaviour and don't have the big wildlife to be wary of. If i were in your place, I'd probably tie her up next to the hammock if not within a tent. IMG20220522080329_01.jpg

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    It would be so awesome to have my dog (55lb. pittie mix) in a hammock with me, but unfortunately I don't see it happening. Maybe sometime I will get a large canvas Mayan-style hammock to try it a little bit.

He's always been nervous camping, despite having nothing but good experiences. He will eventually sleep but it takes a while, even after being out and active all day. He just seems to want to be inside and a tent doesn't qualify. I don't see the more exposed nature of a hammock helping with that. Been eyeing Dutch's pup tent for a long time but I envision a ripped and balled-up scenario like what Hang Williams experienced.

Anyway, sorry to not offer any advice, except of course the general bit: "A tired dog is a good dog."

Images
    If you are in a hammock, put up a tarp and rig an Amsteel 'clothesline' so the dog has 50-100 feet to run back and forth on the line.

Rig the line from your foot-end tree to whatever tree which seems to be appropriate. A foldable pad to sleep on can be laid under the foot end of the tarp for the dog.

Dog is free to roam on a long leash clipped to the Amsteel line.

In the morning, take the dog to a small creed, small lake, etc to wash off the stank.

A couple of trial runs where you take only the leash, dog run line, a tarp and an hammock and hang together for a day; doing this a few times allows both the dog and you to set your own boundaries.

Neither of you will like it at first, because it is not within either of your experience levels,.

Yet all parties might find that it is quite tolerable.

• + New Posts