I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I got a Pelican 1060 Micro Case W/Clear Lid to keep my camera in from now on whilst paddling.....https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pelican-1...9&gclsrc=3p.ds
    It floats. And one latch so easy to get the camera out when needed.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Remember, "waterproof" and "floats" are not the same thing. One of my paddling partners has an iPhone - which is waterproof enough for the splashes it might incur. But it doesn't float - so if dropped ... I bought her a floating case - clear plastic for taking (lessor quality) photos - but on sunny days the phone would heat up too much in the case. That is, the phone has its own case and that (with the phone) is inserted in the floating case. The floating cases that are designed to be part of the phone - not something you drop the phone in - are too bulking for day-to-day use. My problem with these devices is that the screen is practically useless in bright sun when viewed with polarized sunglasses.
    Yeah I have two of those and they are safe, but useless for me since I take a lot of photos/video frequently. Shooting thru an additional plastic layer (possibly wet/dirty/foggy/fingerprinted) case is not an option for me. But it would have saved me. Actually, I'm glad it got toasted because if someone were to find it in waterproof a case, they likely could have messed around with my stuff since my passcode is 111111.

I think I'll go back to my original idea 1 year+ ago...a burner phone for photo/video only. I still think picking up a used iphone 11 would be good enough quality for me. 1/4" thick is just so easy to pocket and retrieve quickly.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Yeah I have two of those and they are safe, but useless for me since I take a lot of photos/video frequently. Shooting thru an additional plastic layer (possibly wet/dirty/foggy/fingerprinted) case is not an option for me. But it would have saved me. Actually, I'm glad it got toasted because if someone were to find it in waterproof a case, they likely could have messed around with my stuff since my passcode is 111111.

I think I'll go back to my original idea 1 year+ ago...a burner phone for photo/video only. I still think picking up a used iphone 11 would be good enough quality for me. 1/4" thick is just so easy to pocket and retrieve quickly.

I paddle a sea kayak and I was getting pucker factor reading your story! Glad you made it out.

I bought a waterproof Nikon point and shoot for paddle pictures. On it I have a wrist band foam floatie thing tethered to the camera that gets carabinered onto the deck bungie cord via a bit of cordage. Photographs are better than my phone and i can put it underwater for some interesting shots.

I have an iPhone 8 and the reason I don’t do as you mentioned you were going to do with a burner phone is shooting through a plastic case can induce some light distortion. But find what works for you and go with it!

Yak attack makes some cool mounting options for AV gear as well as fishing poles.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Well I made it back to Grand Island...this time to hike around the island. Totally different perspective and thoroughly enjoyed every minute! I'll post a video when I can...I'm still dealing with the "HD Processing" issue on youtube. I tried everything and it's still hit or miss.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks
    Great writeup and what an adventure. I’ve only been to that area once when I backpacked Pictured Rocks from Munising to Grand Marais. Just about every time I looked at Lake Superior I thought about how I wouldn’t want to be out there in my canoe. I’m sure your sea kayak is much more sea worthy, than my canoe, but that was some dicey surf from what I was able to witness.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    **** dude, that's where we cross over from planned adventure to unplanned ADVENTURE!

We had a day similar to that the last time we paddled some coastal part of Florida. Cold, major headwinds, massive boat wakes, ebb tides draining coastal areas we were trying to get through, finally deciding that we were never going to make our take-out and changing course to a different one, paddling miles across an open bay to the mouth of the river that the landing was named for just to find it was pinched off enough at a RR bridge that there was no way to make headway against the current and no easy way to portage around it, before discovering that the landing (named after the river) wasn't really on the river and we had to cross back over the bay in a quartering wind to find somewhere to land . . . and it rained a lot.

Glad that you pushed through and didn't become a statistic!

I think if we were closer we might have some adventures together.
    What are you paddling? Maybe a WS Tempest?

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post

I think if we were closer we might have some adventures together.
    What are you paddling? Maybe a WS Tempest?
    That would be great! Yup the Tempest 170. Absolutely amazing I just can't say enough about it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12