Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

UTBDR - Utah Backcountry Discovery Route

I finished the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route (UTBDR) a couple of weeks ago. It was a great adventure and a real challenge.

{Leaving Bozeman on my fully loaded KTM 890 Adventure R}

Three of us had been talking about doing the UTBDR since the beginning of the year. Two of us were from Bozeman, MT and one was from Las Vegas. Our plan was to run South to North. The Vegas rider was planning on starting at Mexican Hat and proceeding through the first section and a half where we would meet him in Moab.
    I broke my ankle on my motorcycle at the end of June, so being able to take this on just 6 weeks later was very questionable. It came down to a last minute decision and in the end, I felt I could make it and headed out.

{Utah photo}

{Flaming Gorge}

My route down went down throw Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, and Utah to reach Moab. I avoid interstates whenever possible. Along the way, our Vegas rider met up with an acquaintance who joined the group. We were up to four. We rode the second half of section to and section three in the desert. Those sand miles were tough.

The mountain sections (four to six) were more what I am used to and were a lot of fun. I was terrible about taking photos.
    We camped most of the time - 4 nights. The weather was perfect and I never even setup my tarp.

{Current Creek Reservoir}

The trip was just about 2000 miles for the trip down, UTBDR from Moab to Bear Lake, and my ride home. I spent between 8 and 13 hours per day over the 6 days of riding.

{Bear Lake}
    {Idaho end of UTBDR}

{Montana sign on Teton Pass}

{Route Summary}

I dropped my bike 4 times during the ride and I think my Snow Peak pot sustained the only damage.

{pot in soft side panniers}

It was a very dusty ride. A quick oil and filter change were in order. Now ready for the next adventure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    What a blast that must have been! Such a cool trip to do. I really, really miss having an off road bike. Here in Utah, we have some pretty amazing paved routes for road trips, but there is probably 2x-3x more than that off road.

A dual-sport bike has been at the top of my list for a few years now. I just need to get my rational and realistic budget officer to get crazy one day. The problem (one of them anyway) being I also need a new road bike.

Anyway, your pictures look great. Awesome trip!

EDIT: I was up in the Bozeman area in July this year on a road trip. Bozeman is a great place, and beautiful area.
    Last edited by Crazytown3; 09-26-2022 at 15:01.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Thank you, I do enjoy Bozeman and all the great rides, but the season is awfully short.

Utah has a lot of great riding. I think most places have the opportunity, but Utah really embraces the trails, rides, and riders. That makes a huge difference.

I had the same issues with wanting multiple bikes. I picked the 890 because it could fill a couple of roles (although I still want a trail bike like 300cc). I originally got the bike to ride to Alaska in 2020. Still waiting for all the restrictions to get removed so I can make that one. Until then, having a ton of fun in the lower 48.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts