Blackbird / Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema 4-Door
    Insulation
    TQ + Wooki / Lynx
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I'm not following how a 30" kylmit would fit in the pad sleeve of the RR, but of the budget pads I don't mind it in my bridges. It basically does what it says and works fine for lighter three season temps.
    It is a tight fit, but the 30" Klymit does slide in with a bit of effort. It tends to 'taco up' too, but I did not enjoy the feeling on my shoulders.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin6264 View Post
    It is a tight fit, but the 30" Klymit does slide in with a bit of effort. It tends to 'taco up' too, but I did not enjoy the feeling on my shoulders.
    try putting the pad just in (on top) of the bridge. I personally find the RR pretty unusable without a pad, but prefer to just 'slap in' the pad generally with bridges and skip the pad sleeve unless you're using a CCF or 1" self inflating foam pad. (they aren't really cut for modern inflatable pads).

Putting the pad in this location will also effectively increase the width of the bridge slightly and reduce shoulder squeeze- which is the main appeal of using the pad in the RR for many. Just enough to 'fix' the problem basically.

Slapping the pad on top also ensures you get good contact with the pad so it can work more effectively in terms of convection heat transfer from you to the pad.

If I remember right- I do like the Klymit pretty close to full. A decent rule of thumb for me on the pads- blow them up until you can't quite fold them in half. IE- if you can easily fold it in half lengthwise- give it a little more air. Beats trying to layon it and fart out a little puff.

Few years back I had a protoytpe I called 'add a sleeve'. Bit like an underquilt but only fabric to act like a removable second layer for pad use so it could double as a ground sheet. Long story short- it always slept unacceptably cold compared to simply slapping in the pad with the thicker inflatable pads.

And a semi-disposable polycro sheet or tyvek ground cloth does a better job for less weight when you do go to ground so I gave up on the idea completely.

A pad sleeve is functionally an integrated bedsheet and I find all the pads fine to lay on in bare skin so never bothered me much to use them that way.
    If you like the double layer for the structure/firmess without an underquilt- go for it. If not- I say skip the pad sleeve.

But it's yer gear so use it as ya like.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I used a Klymit Static V for the first year I had the RR because that was what I already had. It worked fine, but I went to an UQ after that and prefer it to a pad. In colder weather, I use a 25 degree UQ and a military casualty blanket in the sleeve. In the summer, I rigged up a Costco down blanket as an UQ. In both cases, I use a SLD UQ protector as well. On one canoe camping trip, I added a wool blanket in the sleeve and that seemed to help as well. I always have down clothing to wear just in case of an extreme temperature change.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    How do you rig the SLD UQ protector without the bars punching a hole in it? I’ve found my SLQ protectors (Trail Winders both insulated and not) quite a bit wider than the RR poles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found the rolled up blue foam pad to work pretty good. Between the layers. Tried it as an experiment and was surprised how well it worked. (Don’t laugh at me.)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    It clips to the corners of hammock with mini-biners. The fit is fine, no problem with the bars. I tried to upload an image from my computer to show you, but it won't upload.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Blackbird / Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema 4-Door
    Insulation
    TQ + Wooki / Lynx
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I went ahead and ordered a Synmat 7 in medium-wide. I'll let you know how it goes!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My wife tried pads ( CCF and air mattress ) in her RR hammock and did not like them due to issues with condensation. Prefers her Lynx FL UQ
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin6264 View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a Synmat 7 in medium-wide. I'll let you know how it goes!
    I've run that same Synmat 7 in my RR for years - I find it very comfortable and have taken it below freezing multiple times, but I'm also a warm sleeper. Being a side sleeper, it's nice to have a firm mat inside the RR and coupling the mat with the bridge design lets me lay really flat. I've never experienced the pad shifting in the sleeve - fully inflated it feels like there's only an inch or two of wiggle room on the sides so there's not really anywhere for the pad to go.

Hammock
    Blackbird / Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema 4-Door
    Insulation
    TQ + Wooki / Lynx
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Good to hear it! Thanks Carcajou.

I just picked up the pad today. Won't be hammocking with it until the weekend, but I did try it on the ground and was very pleased with the comfort, although I will need to get used to the hand pumping system.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast