Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

Tarps don't have to be expensive

KINDA BORING INTRODUCTION FROM MODERATELY OCD OLD GUY:
    I frequently look for the best value- which I define as the intersection of two curves on a graph, cost and quality.
    As the cost goes up, you expect that the quality (durability, ease of use, functionality, etc) will go up at roughly the same rate.
    At some point, the increasing cost does not relate to a proportional increase in quality. The quality line flattens out and crosses the cost line. Diminishing returns, etc.
    For me, that's the value zone for many situations and products.
    Of course there are many instances when this is inappropriate. If you are getting a six year old a hammock, a $12 hammock will suffice.
    If you are a collector, there are many other factors to consider...but by and large, for the past few decades, for most items I find this approach to be helpful.

PRACTICAL APPLICATION-TARPS:

I have used a bunch of cheap tarps over the decades. I have wanted something light, very waterproof with good tie-out tabs and durable.
    Once you go into the "pro" category, it just plain gets too expensive for me relative to what I'm getting.
    Just wanted to share what I consider to be an optimum value for my uses (kayak and canoe camping, car camping, backyard camping)
    Unigear, available on the big A. I won't post links but you can get there. Several sizes. My favorite is the 10x13'. There's a 10x10 and a 10x16 as well.
    The 10x13 is about $35. I t's a waterproofed coated nylon with some kind of silvery finish underneath. They have a charcoal gray, forest green and brown color options.
    The tie outs are goo...3/4" webbing, grommet, reinforcement triangle patch and good stitching.
    There is one seam in these tarps resulting from the use of five foot fabric rolls.
    The 10x13 and 10x15 have "side panel" tie-outs, so you can guy out the center of the sides for more interior room.
    The seam seal is very good.
    they are completely waterproof and reasonably light and pack reasonably small.
    Note the term "reasonably".
    Obviously this is not dyneema, silpoly or silnylon.
    There are certainly tarps that are way lighter and pack way smaller.
    But we're talking about a compromise here.
    I have had one up outside since January, in a snow climate, and while it has faded, it's still fully functional.
    I leave my home-base one set up and have another one to take in the field.
    Very happy with them. Happy to pay $35 every five years instead of $300 every ten or fifteen years.
    And yes, of course, this is Made in China stuff.
    We all make these choices. If you really want to support USA manufacturers, this isn't an option.
    Anyway, thought Id share.
    WiseOwl has some very simple small 6x6' on the big A for$10. One tie-out each corner...very basic but fully functional.

One of my main gripes abut 10' wide tarps s that they don't adequately cover a typical 11' tarp and rain hits one of the ends.
    I use the 6x6 and rig an extension tarp off one end to provide the extra coverage. Yes of course I could turn the tarp 90 degrees and have the ridge be 13 feet long. But i really like the extra protection on each side that the 13' affords, especially in storms.
    In the winter, I can get the sides down to about a foot off the ground with a 6' ridge. Which provides great wind protection.
    And I can fold back the corners to make "doors" that close off the ends pretty effectively.

One photo shows the 10x13 tarp with the 6x6 extension. the other one shows a single 6x6 rigged over the table.20220818_084156.jpg20220818_084202_HDR.jpg

Cheers. Have fun and stay safe out there.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    Thanks for the review. I approve of using gear that is "good enough" for the money. I have some expensive stuff but I don't want to always subject those gear items to abuse, especially if I'm not around to supervise the use. Having a good, inexpensive option is always good.

I have a Yukon Outfitters Walkabout tarp from several years ago. While reasonably compact and light, I wouldn't recommend it for rain protection. Just too small. As a sun shade it works fine, though. I'll keep these Unigear tarps in mind for the future.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I have seen too many tarps that claim 'light' but when you look at the details it weighs over 2lbs. Which is to much for a tarp. Or at least for me.

I am a fan of wiseowls tarps. I think they are a good value. You can get an 11' hex tarp that weighs 19oz for $30 (just checked on Amazon). To get much lighter you need to go cuban fiber/dyneema but that invites different problems (punctures) and the weight savings just cannot be justified for the expense (for me). $300 to save 1/2 a pound...

Agree you dont have to spend a ton to get quality. I am perfectly happy with my tarps from Onewind, nice and light and have held up well.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I have averaged about 100$ for making 12x10 tarps (cheapest fabric I can find usually 7$ per yard) but I spend extra money with reflective tie out lines and ridgeline. The cost of the fabric plus 100 feet of Dutch's Reflect it line , a Dutch hookand a tarp flyz for the ridge line. The rest goes to tie outs. I also use shock cord and tensioners for the tie outs also. Cheap Wally world orange stakes complete the project unless you want Kamsnaps for the doors. Just need a thread injector and some time to make it happen.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I started out using a free tent rain fly as a hammock tarp. My first actual hammock tarp was an AHE 12' Toxaway. Great tarp under 100 bucks at the time.

Never thought I'd make the DCF plunge due to price points. In the end I put full blame on the fine craftsman over at Arrowhead Equipment for making a tarp so well that if I waited until it wore out to replace it, I'd probably be too old to hike. Upon that realization, I decided that would be too long to wait to carry a tarp that only weighed in at 6oz.

Now I spend a fair amount of time figuring out which of my grandkids I'm gonna leave this stuff to. It's probably all going to outlive me at this point.
    Call me weird, but in this crazy world I look at that as a good investment. One of these days one of those kids is going to think to himself. Wow, Grandpa was running really light.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I started out using a free tent rain fly as a hammock tarp. My first actual hammock tarp was an AHE 12' Toxaway. Great tarp under 100 bucks at the time.

Never thought I'd make the DCF plunge due to price points. In the end I put full blame on the fine craftsman over at Arrowhead Equipment for making a tarp so well that if I waited until it wore out to replace it, I'd probably be too old to hike. Upon that realization, I decided that would be too long to wait to carry a tarp that only weighed in at 6oz.

Now I spend a fair amount of time figuring out which of my grandkids I'm gonna leave this stuff to. It's probably all going to outlive me at this point.
    Call me weird, but in this crazy world I look at that as a good investment. One of these days one of those kids is going to think to himself. Wow, Grandpa was running really light.
    I look at it from the perspective of 'per night' or 'per trip' cost and figure that the more I use it the better the value.

Extrapolating this cost differential across a complete, full-blown premium UL kit, it still comes out to be not a lot of coin if I'm out 40-50 nights per year for several years. And the benefits of it are there every minute of every day that I'm backpacking over hill and dale, reminding me how much better it is carrying 1/2 or 1/3, and some times 1/4, as much weight compared to the old days. And it means a lot more as my joints have aged.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-06-2022 at 07:40.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I look at it from the perspective of 'per night' or 'per trip' cost and figure that the more I use it the better the value.

Extrapolating this cost differential across a complete, full-blown premium UL kit, it still comes out to be not a lot of coin if I'm out 40-50 nights per year for several years. And the benefits of it are there every minute of every day that I'm backpacking over hill and dale, reminding me how much better it is carrying 1/2 or 1/3, and some times 1/4, as much weight compared to the old days. And it means a lot more as my joints have aged.
    I agree with the logic. Though I can drop $300-500 on a piece of gear only every so often. Once I have three TQs and a small armada of UQs I might think about dropping $350 on a tarp. But for now, a tarp is a good place for me to get a good value without drifting into premium gear prices.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Another advantage of good but not overly expensive gear is you can base camp without fear your gear will be taken. If I had a $350 dyneema tarp, there is no way I am leaving that at a base camp and going day hiking. I have none of this concern with my $4.35 Ripstop Nylon Tarp. This has lasted me strong now since 2016.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    For my uses jeff-oh is spot on. I do have some nice CF tarps that I use for backpacking. But when I'm hanging at a campground or camping area where I anticipate leaving the hammock set up I go with a decades old sil-poly 10x12 tarp. It does the job very well, albeit it requires tightening after stretching/sag, is/was very economical and if some thief purloins it I won't shed an abundance of tears like I would with one of the CF tarps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast