DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    @ jeff-oh : Thank you for the idea, its a bit far for this time, because I only have 3 days and don't want to spend two of them driving (unless with a bike) - maybe another year. I was up there last year due to the need to quarantine for a few days after arriving in the US.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    If transportation is what you need from Chicago than the metra I think can get to very close to the Indiana dunes. I was up at the Nordhouse Dunes recently which is open camping. Unfortunately it’s around 4 plus hours drive and I’m not guessing there is public transportation. Other than that you can look into the I&M trail starting in Channahon. There’s a campsite roughy three miles in near McKinley woods. The trail is open camping but this site is the only one I know that has fire pits. Chicago is not a great area to camp around. Maybe spend time enjoying the city.
    I am having a look at the I&M trail. I went to the Indiana Dunes last year and prefer looking at something new.

About the River Walk I suppose you refer to the tent cities ? I was surprised and saddened to see these in all bigger towns I went to on my last trip to the Westcoast (WA,OR,CA). I hope things will improve again one day.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithica View Post
    Richard Bong State Recreation Area in Kansasville, WI might be a good base for motorcycle touring. The park has two campgrounds that are RV orientated but are mostly wooded. You could call them and ask if hammocks are allowed and which sites are suitable. The terrain is oak savannah. It was the site of an unfinished US Airforce Base. There are a number miles of hiking trails. It is just to the West of the City of Kenosha, WI.

The southern tier of counties in Wisconsin (WI) have lots of rural paved roads that are nice for peaceful motorcycle rides; Kenosha, Racine, Walworth, Rock, and Dane. Here is a link to a WI Rustic Roads Guide published by WI DOT.

Uke's Harley-Davidson dealership in Kenosha has a small museum. This dealership dates back to 1930. There are two nice smaller museums in Kenosha down near the lake front. You could also tour the mostly peaceful BLM Civil Unrest damage in downtown Kenosha. There is a nice Italian restaurant in Kenosha; Tenuta's that is worth a visit.

The Harley-Davidson Museum is about 30 miles north in Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Art Museum is worth a visit.
    I will keep this in mind in case its going to be on 2 wheels. Not sure yet, as plans may change last minute and by foot I am really flexible. Though I like the idea to ride in the US one day.

I went to the HD museum last year around the same time, it was Labour day and big party at the firm.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Yes, at this stage all points North ;-) Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12