Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FYI, regarding “Clover brand Wonder Clips“ when I bought some a few years ago I had a hard time finding them in the JoAnns. Turns out they were not in the sewing section, but in a separate quilting section. Who knew?

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    Bought me some Magic Clips to try. I’ve had some sil that I bought and haven’t had the ambition to try sewing because of earlier attempts at the rolled hem. This weekend I’m going to retry with them and just make a simple gathered end hammock. I’ve made a few things but that rolled hem just always stymies me. 🤞🏻 They make it simpler. I’ve made other things but these fancy fabrics can be tuff, aggravating.

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    I did get the Magic Clips to try, they don't really seem to be very suited to 1.1 silpoly, as a pin replacement. Being able to fit under the pressor foot aside, they actually distort the hem, the silpoly is so fine, that the clamping motion pulls the fabric into the clip area. I may use them on other projects with heavier fabric, but these really don't seem wonderful for the lighter fabrics IMO.

I will also be taking a look at the Clover brand ones, always like to look over new stuff.

Brian
    Did the Clover brand clips work any better with 1.1 silpoly than the MagicClips did? I'm about to do some sewing on 0.93 silpoly and would appreciate your recommendation on which clips to buy.
    Last edited by schwad; 09-27-2022 at 22:52.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    hi Schwad, I did take a shallow dive on the company site, but i didn't see anything to inspire me they would be as good as the Magic Clips ... so I didn't end up trying/buying them.

I have enough experience with silpoly/silnylon that rolling the hem isn't really an issue anymore, in fact I would go so far as to say that it isn't rolling the hem that's ever been the issue ... it has always been holding the seam to sew. Pins just seem to do the job the cleanest of what I have tried so far, once you have done a bit, you don't even need that many pins ... I don't know how to describe this, but I will try. Once you have the hem rolled and pinned in 2 places, if you add tension to the space between the pins the hem will just roll between the pins ... so you don't need to actually hold that hem all the time. Get the needle down, tension from both sides (pin to pin) and the hem will just roll between the pins, hold it with your finger as it feeds through, rinse and repeat.

Although i am always looking, the clips and tape just have too many drawbacks for me to consider them better than plain old pins.

Brian

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    hi Schwad, I did take a shallow dive on the company site, but i didn't see anything to inspire me they would be as good as the Magic Clips ... so I didn't end up trying/buying them.
    It looks like Joann Fabrics has a sale on both types of clips, in reasonably small quantities, so I guess I'll just get both to try.

Taylor Seville 24 pk Mini Magic Clips
    https://www.joann.com/taylor-seville.../16115685.html
    $15.59

Clover Wonder Clips 10pc
    https://www.joann.com/wonder-clips-10-pkg/11490919.html
    $5.99

Joann Fabrics also has a 25% off sale on top of those prices, then $1.99 shipping + $1.95 handling. All told, it comes in a few $ cheaper than buying the same clips from Amazon.
    Once you have the hem rolled and pinned in 2 places, if you add tension to the space between the pins the hem will just roll between the pins ... so you don't need to actually hold that hem all the time. Get the needle down, tension from both sides (pin to pin) and the hem will just roll between the pins, hold it with your finger as it feeds through, rinse and repeat.
    Makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Please share your thoughts after you try them ... always good to have the input IMO

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123