DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images

REI COOP Flash Air Hammock (All-in-One Hammock Shelter System)

Includes:
    - the hammock with suspension (straps, whoopies, and suspension hooks), removable bugnet with built-in ridgeline and storage pockets, and spreader pole
    - the tarp with guylines and stakes
    - the external gear sling

This is catch-and-release from a local Craigslist seller. He claimed it was only used once. I have my doubts, but I suppose it's possible. I set it up to check the condition and found a 4-inch section near the head of the hammock where the bugnet had torn from the hammock body. (Maybe that's why it was only used once - LOL). It was a fairly clean tear, so I whipped out my old Singer sewing machine and stitched it back together. I added three rows of stitching (and even doubled over a couple of extra times in a couple of places). It's not pretty (it's actually downright ugly by my own personal DIY standards), but it's almost certainly stronger than the original single stitch and will hold just fine. I've included pictures of the repair job. The rest of the hammock and all the other components (including the suspension) look like new. I think it's probably true that the tarp was never used. All the guy lines look like the original bundles that have never been untied and the stakes are perfectly clean with no dirt or other signs of use.

Full disclosure ... this hammock is not designed for big guys like me (I'm 6'2"/240lbs). I laid in it just out of curiosity and it will support my weight just fine, but it's a really tight fit length-wise. This is really much better hammock for shorter adults or kids. It would make a great setup for boy scouts, for example.

Pictures are below. The complete hammock set in its bag and the repair job are my pictures. But I forgot to take pictures of the hammock when I set it up so I downloaded a couple from the web to give context. It looks just like these photos when set up.

REI_Flash_Air_Hammock_With_Tarp.jpgREI_Flash_Air_Hammock_No_Tarp1.pngREI_Flash_Air_Hammock_In_Bag.jpgREI_Flash_Air_Hammock_Repair1.jpgREI_Flash_Air_Hammock_Repair2.jpg

REI doesn't appear to be selling these anymore, but they still keep the product listing here:
    https://www.rei.com/product/127400/r...sh-air-hammock

Original REI price for these systems was $199.
    I'm asking $100 shipped to your door anywhere in the continental United States. I am willing to ship farther if the buyer is will to cover the additional shipping costs.

I'll offer a 15% discount for anyone willing to pay now and pick it up in person in central Virginia or at the MAHHA group hang next month at Caledonia State Park, PA.

PayPal only please.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Still available
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Even with the repair. I thought that half off the original price was a pretty good deal. Particularly since this is a full set up with netted hammock, suspension, tarp, and all the hardware. I guess I over estimated the level of interest.

Ok ... so no worries ... I'll knock off another $15. New price for the total package is $85 shipped to CONUS. And I'll still offer the 15% discount for anyone who picks up in person.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    Out of curiosity, how long is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by knightshade View Post
    Out of curiosity, how long is it?
    I'm not certain. Unfortunately, I didn't think to measure it when I set it up. I went to the old REI listing but it didn't provide dimensions.

I can tell you that it's shorter than my own personal (made for tall folks) hammocks that I use regularly which are 11-12 foot hammocks, but it's much longer than every bridge hammock I've ever tried. I laid in a friend's ENO a couple of times and I'd have to say this is about the same length as her ENO which was like 9.5-10 feet... something like that.

I'll reiterate from my original post, if you are a tall person, this hammock probably won't work for you. I'm 6' 2". I fit in this hammock end-to-end and I could stretch out to my full height and even get on an angle, but it was not comfortable for me. I don't use a pad so I didn't try it with one, but that might make a difference. Generally I'd say that other 6-footers will likely be equally uncomfortable, but I don't think you need to be an Oompa-loompa either. It's probably just fine for most of the hammock hanging population.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Hope this is helpful and not trying to intrude on your FS posting. Section Hiker lists it a 9’x3’ and as PopcornFool notes is best for smaller adults or kids. Pros are the easy-to-use all in one system and ability to use pads in lieu of underquilts.

https://sectionhiker.com/rei-flash-a...system-review/

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Hope this is helpful and not trying to intrude on your FS posting. Section Hiker lists it a 9’x3’ and as PopcornFool notes is best for smaller adults or kids. Pros are the easy-to-use all in one system and ability to use pads in lieu of underquilts.

https://sectionhiker.com/rei-flash-a...system-review/
    Thanks Twistytee!
    You beat me to the punch. I was just doing that myself. I just found another review from GearLab (https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...o-op-flash-air) too that has similar comments but lists the hammock at 9.5' x 3.5'. These lengths seem about right to me.

Hope this helps knightshade.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Is item still available? If so you may want to bump it at least once every week. Items that are inactive are subject to being removed from the Market Place area, it allows members to know you are still interested and it will keep the moderators from "pinging" you! (Bumps mean to respond in the post)

If you are finished with your thread, please follow the links in my signature for instructions on how to close/move your thread.

If you are going out of town or have limited/no forum access, please close and move your thread before you leave. It saves frustrations when members post questions but do not get responses.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Sorry. In my excitement to get ready for MAHAA, I forgot to bump.

Bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast