Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Question Any one tried a Summer Sock and tarp as a LW ground setup?

I had to do a quickie setup at home and used my Summer Sock on the ground with an air mattress in it. I thought it was pretty cozy, light weight and possibly a decent setup with a tarp for backpacking. Am I wrong in this? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be very durable but not terrible overall. I'd use trekking poles to run the tarp and ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Using the netted hammock as a bivi bag is a solution when there are no trees. I demonstrated that to a tent friend who wondered what I would do without trees. I put a ground sheet down, then a therma-rest pad, then my hammock - note the ground sheet and pad protected the hammock bottom. I had collapsible lightweight poles that held up the tarp and were an anchor for the bug net - lifting it off my face.

If you use just a sock and a pad, you essentially have a single-wall tent. So depending upon temperatures, you may have condensation challenges and if bugs are around, you won't have netting. In terms of design and lbs/sq in. the sock is usually designed to be the lightest it can be and still do its job (wind break). If you are putting it directly on the ground with your weight on it, you might find some small holes on the bottom as the ground isn't always smooth. That shouldn't prevent it from working; it just adds more wear. A lot of my gear is 20 - 30 years old. I use it the way it was intended. I take care of it; it takes care of me.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts