Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly

Hey Y'all, from KY.

Looking forward to learning from you all. Just getting back into my outdoor lifestyle after a little break (had a busy job, and took about an 8 year break from everything enjoyable it seems). But in a much less stressful and more enjoyable situation, with flexible time off so eager to get back into backpacking. I was at one time an avid backpacker/hiker. Love ultralight packing with some luxury items. I have had numerous tents over the years, did plenty of tent camping, tarp camping, bivy camping, and some cowboy camping in winter here in KY. But have never had a hammock. I just took the plunge and have a full set up coming. Bought a blackbird XLC, thunderfly tarp, and a wo0kie 20* (had already moved to top quilts and have a few EE quilts). I am sure this will change over time as I learn what I'm doing - but thought this would be a good set up as a base, and this site as a place to learn. Honestly, my biggest concern is knots. I don't know why - I also fly fish/bass fish and have learned a ton of weird knots for that purpose - and that is not easy line to manipulate. I did get a couple of tarp ticks for tarp ridgeline, and did the buckles suspension. But will be relying on knots for guy lines - and maybe move to a lighter suspension as I get comfy with it all.

But - TLDR -Howdy from western Ky. I am here to learn, and hope to return the favor one day to an eager learner.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Welcome

i recommend the Ultimate Hang https://theultimatehang.com/. Good details on relevant knots in there. I took some time and spent a couple hours while out just practicing a bunch of them. Most are pretty similar once you get the hang of them. The becket hitch took me a bit at first as I kept tying a slippery hitch as I did not notice the subtle difference.

Also, it is my understanding that dyneema cord does not hold knots well. I have not tried but I have read that a few places. I use webbing I got from Warbonnet.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Hey Y'all, from KY.

Phantom Grapplers Recommended Ties part 1 and part 2
    My YouTube videos are hokey. The knots and hitches shown are mostly tied in the bight—that is tied in middle of rope, without need to access either end.
    Most of these knots are quick release.

The main benefit of knots tied in the bight, there is no need to access either end of rope—this gives a faster tie, and since you don’t have to fish the end of rope through for each step of knot—there is less chance of “getting lost in your knot”!
    Less chances of forgetting where you are while completing each step of knot. These knots can be tied faster, reducing chances of mistakes.

Good luck

Edit, I use 2.2 Zingit, it holds knots ok
    If using 2.2 Zing on 2.2 Zingit, I add extra wraps on prusiks for a total of five or six wraps yielding 10 or 12 coils
    When I tie Siberian hitch, I always finish with three stitches of daisy chain, helping ensure the hitch doesn’t slip.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 08-20-2022 at 10:27.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Welcome to the forum...you are off to a good start with your Warbonnet kit.

As far as knots go, one versatile knot I use frequently is the taut line hitch. I've graduated to the Becket hitch (from using hardware) to suspend the hammock, but my tarp guylines are all secured and adjusted with the taut line hitch.

Whatever you use, you'll have fun along the learning curve.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    HF Strap Anchor
    What area of western Ky are you located?

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Welcome. There are active backpacking groups in the area. I am in the Cincinnati area and we often go south to Dan Boone, LBL, Mammoth and Big South Fork.

One area out your way I have only day hiked and would like to backpack is the Garden of the Gods region of Shawnee NF. Perhaps we can hit the trail together.

Also, consider the Hoosier Hang Oct 21-23 this year. Location is Deam Wilderness in Hoosier NF, SE of Bloomington. Meet a bunch of nice folks and all their gear. Here is the forum link: 2022 Hoosier Hang

Welcome! Lots of useful tips around

• + New Posts